Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:42 PM

127 posts, read 427,434 times

Advertisements

Wow, things must be really bad to be so miserable. I would head north and don't look back if I were you. And there really aren't ANY jobs down here? I guess that means the unemployment rate must be upwards of 80-90%. Oh wait, no it's not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 09:56 PM

156 posts, read 493,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sold123 View Post
It broke my heart to have to sell my Tampa Bay, Florida home after 13 years of living in it, had to uproot the kids in their teens! There ARE NO JOBS in Tampa Bay, Florida, (and even the bad jobs are taken). Housewives etc. have doubled up on low paying part time jobs. Recent Florida high school graduates and students cannot even land low paying jobs of any kind. In our case my husband and I, both degreed, and experienced were unemployed for one year after we were laid off. And, by the way, the call centers use you and then after you get a little seniority, they push you out, don't go there (they did that to my husband and all his group who were top performers). And the big companies like I was in, end up moving somewhere else (check it out, if you don't believe me). So, now with the housing bubble effects to add to that existing situation, Florida residents have gotten a really bad burn from this recession. If you don't want trouble in your life, stay away from Florida until you retire.
Your experience in Florida was very similar to mine. After 10 years in Florida, I had to uproot my family (with teens) for better jobs in Houston. It was a painful move. I had resistance from every side, but there had to be a change. We were living at the bottom of the barrel.

Our current financial situation is 10 folds of what it was. Things are so much better now, but I yearn for my life back in Florida.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:18 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
Welcome to Florida!!

There are lots of places hiring if you want to do an honest day's work for an honest day's pay. There are plenty of places that need landscapers or yard workers. If you want to do retail, there's walmart or other big box stores, or you can wait tables at a restaurant(make some really good tips). Then there is always jobs at the local motels doing front desk work or housekeeping.
You don't have to do a call center job. There is lots of opportunity,
just don't have pie in the sky dreams about making a million dollars a year.
good luck
Is this a joke or what?

Old 03-26-2009, 07:05 PM

38 posts, read 125,797 times
I have lived here a year and am very surprised at how hard people in the South work!

Old 03-27-2009, 06:04 PM

3 posts, read 8,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjr View Post
Wow, things must be really bad to be so miserable. I would head north and don't look back if I were you. And there really aren't ANY jobs down here? I guess that means the unemployment rate must be upwards of 80-90%. Oh wait, no it's not...
I believe they meant any available jobs. Of course there are people working here but it's tough to find open positions at the moment. It does seem as if a large number of posted employment comes from call centers and retail which is a shame.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:43 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
The unemployment rate is now in double digits and expected to go up.

And what saved FL in the past (new construction) isn't going to work this time.

Between the surplus of homes and the fact that people who were considering retiring
to FL are holding off due to losing money in their portfolios will not help FL rebound anytime soon.

FL only seems to know new construction and tourism as industries and both are hurting.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:35 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
Welcome to Florida!!

There are lots of places hiring if you want to do an honest day's work for an honest day's pay. There are plenty of places that need landscapers or yard workers. If you want to do retail, there's walmart or other big box stores, or you can wait tables at a restaurant(make some really good tips). Then there is always jobs at the local motels doing front desk work or housekeeping.
You don't have to do a call center job. There is lots of opportunity,
just don't have pie in the sky dreams about making a million dollars a year.
good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Is this a joke or what?
It wasn't a joke when it was posted back in 01/08.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:23 PM

35 posts, read 167,062 times
I have found the job market here is flooded. Even people with connections are having a tough time finding work. Teens are showing up in suits just to pick up applications for minimum wage jobs. We just hit double digits this week in unemployment 10.2%.

If you have an interest in teaching environmental classes (outside work with school groups.. I might could get you a name.. but it's $30k 9-3 (sometimes 5) no benefits). Also the Museum of Science and Industry, Lowry Park Zoo and the Aquarium are starting to rev up their hiring for summer camps. I've heard Progressive and Coke are hiring .. not sure if it's call jobs. Pharmacies are hiring... that's all I know of. GOOD LUCK.. I'll likely be moving out of state to find a job. O ya-- Hillsborough County, according to the Tampa Tribune is laying off 1000 jobs and the County's apps for Substitute teachers is up 35%! You practically have to have a masters to Sub Teach for $9/hr.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:36 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor View Post
I have found the job market here is flooded. Even people with connections are having a tough time finding work. Teens are showing up in suits just to pick up applications for minimum wage jobs. We just hit double digits this week in unemployment 10.2%.

If you have an interest in teaching environmental classes (outside work with school groups.. I might could get you a name.. but it's $30k 9-3 (sometimes 5) no benefits). Also the Museum of Science and Industry, Lowry Park Zoo and the Aquarium are starting to rev up their hiring for summer camps. I've heard Progressive and Coke are hiring .. not sure if it's call jobs. Pharmacies are hiring... that's all I know of. GOOD LUCK.. I'll likely be moving out of state to find a job. O ya-- Hillsborough County, according to the Tampa Tribune is laying off 1000 jobs and the County's apps for Substitute teachers is up 35%! You practically have to have a masters to Sub Teach for $9/hr.
moving out of state to find a job ? well dont move to ky cause there are no jobs here that pay over 7.00 an hr for 3 hrs a day and 3 days a wk that cannot even pay my electric bill sorry but there are no jobs in ky either and the unemployment rate is 10 % highest it has been in 20 yrs . I and my hubby are having to move back home with family and help them cause we cannot make it on our own . at 47 I never thought I would have to move back home and it really ticks me off when our president gets on tv and laughs about the economy .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: