Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 01:45 PM

10 posts, read 14,962 times

Advertisements

Hey Stewabby! Nice to hear you know what I am talking about! Always good to come across a "neighbor"!

I will definitely check out that south Tampa area. I know my husband found a house in Riverview that he really liked. Like the idea that it is middle class and less of the "Naperville" influence ... I know you know what I mean. When you say South Tampa, is that an actual suburb of Tampa? Or is that speaking in generalities?

Are there particular areas in Riverview that would be suitable? And when you say the commute would be horrible from various locations, is that "Chicago" horrible? I am use to 40 minutes on a good day, well over 2 hours on a snowy day!

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 02:00 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojo1266 View Post
Could you tell me what areas would be good? Apollo Beach? Odessa? Bradenton? I heard some nasty things about Apollo Beach and smoke stacks? Is Riverview in that area? Thanks!!!!!!
Odessa is north of Tampa.

SpFlGal has kids in schools around the Osprey area.

It all depends on how much driving you hubby wants to do, but as you and I agree schools are an utmost importance.

Just take your time and do a ton of research. Create a pros and cons list so you wont miss something.

Moderator cut: realtor recommendations not allowed

And very important is to visit the location of your choice. Never buy or rent in a town you have not spent at least a few days in.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-01-2010 at 02:13 PM..

Old 01-01-2010, 06:05 PM

877 posts, read 1,912,781 times
South Tampa is the area of Tampa south of Kennedy Avenue. You generally want to stay north of Gandy in South Tampa but there are some nice areas down there too. If you want less of a "Naperville" influence don't buy in South Tampa. It's pretty yuppified.

My husband has a 25 minute commute from our house off of Boyette Road in Riverview to downtown Tampa. I'm going to be working near the airport and I think it will be about a 40 minute commute.

I would consider anything over 40 minutes to be a bad commute and anything over 60 minutes to be a horrible commute. It's doable, but not something I'd recommend doing for a long time.

Your money will go far in Riverview and I don't have anything bad to say about the area. We're in the Riverglen subdivision and we really like it. We're toying with the idea of moving back to South Tampa when our lease is up because I don't really want the commute but I know we won't be able to get anything nearly as nice as what we have here for the same amount of money.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:40 PM

10 posts, read 14,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewabby View Post
South Tampa is the area of Tampa south of Kennedy Avenue. You generally want to stay north of Gandy in South Tampa but there are some nice areas down there too. If you want less of a "Naperville" influence don't buy in South Tampa. It's pretty yuppified.

My husband has a 25 minute commute from our house off of Boyette Road in Riverview to downtown Tampa. I'm going to be working near the airport and I think it will be about a 40 minute commute.

I would consider anything over 40 minutes to be a bad commute and anything over 60 minutes to be a horrible commute. It's doable, but not something I'd recommend doing for a long time.

Your money will go far in Riverview and I don't have anything bad to say about the area. We're in the Riverglen subdivision and we really like it. We're toying with the idea of moving back to South Tampa when our lease is up because I don't really want the commute but I know we won't be able to get anything nearly as nice as what we have here for the same amount of money.
Hmmm.... Naperville influece ... well I will look into that South Tampa thing. Doesn't hurt to check it out. Rather concerned that you could become "rezoned" for poor schools though, and I know you know what that means having experienced Naperville.

Will also check out Riverview further. My husband really doesn't want to rent as he wants to be "settled" ASAP and have a firm feel for his surroundings. The commute time for him is not so much an issue as it is for me as he travels for a living from store to store. I simply need a decent job so to be close to the "corporate" world is important.

What do you like about Riverview? What do you dislike? Is there a particular part of Riverview that is better than another? How are the people? Family friendly?
What is the Summerfield community like? We see one house in there that looks perfect!

Thanks for this much needed info neighbor!

Last edited by wojo1266; 01-01-2010 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: Adding more information

Old 01-01-2010, 07:47 PM

Likes: safe, relatively inexpensive housing, friendly neighbors
Dislikes: Most restaurants are chain restaurants, closest dog park is pretty far away, no real "downtown" area

I haven't heard anything bad about Summerfield. I'm pretty certain they have a HOA fee. I know it's up by 301 and Big Bend and there is a lot of shopping there.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:54 PM

Check out the schools closely though. I don't know if you'd be too happy with East Bay High School, it is rated as a 6 and would be far, far below Naperville schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay