Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 03:49 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,013,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboy1225 View Post
I think jujy said she/he works at progressive. Where did you work before flipping burgers?
I wasn't flipping burgers... Was looking for something. People can find many positives about this city... Blantly lying about the economy doesn't do anyone any favors though. Tampa has the same struggles with the economy that every other city does. I wouldn't move unless you have something lined up. Forbes ranked Tampa the worst city for young professionals for having so few jobs that paid so little compared to other major metropolitans. Keep that in mind. There will be plenty of positive things you can find here... The economy will be dead last on that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 04:08 PM

727 posts, read 1,533,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
...sick of rude Chicago people invading our beaches in the summer...
I know this is off-topic, but really? I found Chicagoans to be some of the nicest people around, and this is coming from someone who lived in Virginia for ten years, where "Southern Hospitality" simply doesn't exist anymore.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:10 PM

3 posts, read 3,886 times
I just moved here a little over a week ago from Northwest Indiana. I did exactly what you're going to do in Nov: bit the bullet and left without a job. Sick of the cold, sick of rude Chicago people invading our beaches in the summer, just sick of everything. So, for as many people who are bound to tell you you're an idiot for moving with nothing but your savings and no job lined up, I say go for it! You only live once right?

Hello, I just read this post and have to ask you how things are going for you? I am about to do the same thing. We have saved about 4 months of living expenses and are moving to the Tampa/St. Pete area with no jobs. I am in health care and my husband does drywall, I think with persistence we will both find a job. I just have a few questions for you if you don't mind answering. First how is the economy now? Has it picked up at all? How long did it take for you to find a job once you got there? Did you have a place to live lined up before you got there or did you find one after you got there and was it hard? I have so many questions. I have never lived any where but where I live right now, which is a small village in northwest Ohio. I am 35 and I dreamed of living in Florida since I was 12. I think I would regret it if I never tried. I am a little scared, a friend of my mothers moved to Florida and returned 1 year later because they said it was to expensive. This has scared me a little but I still need to try. Sorry so long but I just thought you would be a good person to get advice from since you did what we are about to do.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:21 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstclair74 View Post
I just moved here a little over a week ago from Northwest Indiana. I did exactly what you're going to do in Nov: bit the bullet and left without a job. Sick of the cold, sick of rude Chicago people invading our beaches in the summer, just sick of everything. So, for as many people who are bound to tell you you're an idiot for moving with nothing but your savings and no job lined up, I say go for it! You only live once right?

Hello, I just read this post and have to ask you how things are going for you? I am about to do the same thing. We have saved about 4 months of living expenses and are moving to the Tampa/St. Pete area with no jobs. I am in health care and my husband does drywall, I think with persistence we will both find a job. I just have a few questions for you if you don't mind answering. First how is the economy now? Has it picked up at all? How long did it take for you to find a job once you got there? Did you have a place to live lined up before you got there or did you find one after you got there and was it hard? I have so many questions. I have never lived any where but where I live right now, which is a small village in northwest Ohio. I am 35 and I dreamed of living in Florida since I was 12. I think I would regret it if I never tried. I am a little scared, a friend of my mothers moved to Florida and returned 1 year later because they said it was to expensive. This has scared me a little but I still need to try. Sorry so long but I just thought you would be a good person to get advice from since you did what we are about to do.
You should be scared, and you should have at least 8 months to a year of savings. If your a nurse you should find work, drywall for your husband is another story. If your a CNA that might be harder.

Four months is not enough.

You need to go online and do your own research, FYI Tampa Bay has one of highest unemployent rates in Florida, and FL has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:38 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You should be scared, and you should have at least 8 months to a year of savings. If your a nurse you should find work, drywall for your husband is another story. If your a CNA that might be harder.

Four months is not enough.

You need to go online and do your own research, FYI Tampa Bay has one of highest unemployent rates in Florida, and FL has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country.

It should be decent to find jobs in Massage therapy though if thats your field. I hear Tampa is strong with that sorta thing.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:20 PM

357 posts, read 799,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
It should be decent to find jobs in Massage therapy though if thats your field. I hear Tampa is strong with that sorta thing.
Sure, lots of "Asian" massage parlors around the area, which provide "extra" services.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:55 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstclair74 View Post

Just so you are aware sean dublin and ozlo always paint a picture of gloom and doom. I'm moving to Tampa in July.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:22 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,404 times
I think letting people know about the local economy and the hardship they might face bringing entire family without a job is appropriate.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:45 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
I think letting people know about the local economy and the hardship they might face bringing entire family without a job is appropriate.
Exactly and four months savings will be gone in no time.

There was a poster who moved her family down from Indiana because she HAD to live in Florida....well after running low on money and driving from the west coast of Florida to the east coast of Florida( for a nursing job) she ended up going home.

The upsetting thing is she uprooted her kids only to end up going back home. It is called a lack of planning.

A few of us tried to give her some insight but she didn't want to hear anything, got here and didn't work out.

It is scary when people say they're bringing children with them and have no jobs and limited savings.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:03 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly and four months savings will be gone in no time.

There was a poster who moved her family down from Indiana because she HAD to live in Florida....well after running low on money and driving from the west coast of Florida to the east coast of Florida( for a nursing job) she ended up going home.

The upsetting thing is she uprooted her kids only to end up going back home. It is called a lack of planning.

A few of us tried to give her some insight but she didn't want to hear anything, got here and didn't work out.

It is scary when people say they're bringing children with them and have no jobs and limited savings.

That is a shame. Surprising that she had such a hard time finding a nursing job. Now in regards to the person moving down with her husband doing drywall. Well, I doubt he is going to find any jobs doing drywall. Even if he is fluent in Spanish, there is no construction going on right now..... hence the high unemployment rate.

I suppose I am one of the lucky few who will move down. I already have my job, I'll have savings and the cost of living is less than what I am used to now. I do suppose I am more of the exception than the rule.

OP, do a search on this forum for Economy or Employment. This subject has been brought up many, many times and I am sure you will find more or less the information you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay