U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:34 AM

9,128 posts, read 16,248,280 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

It looks set in stone that I am relocating to St Petersburg. Most likely by mid Feb, although the actual date is still up in the air until this upcoming week.

Anyway, I am starting to search for places to stay. My intention is to rent initially until I get a feel for the area and get settled, then buy a house.

I will be working in Bay Pines. From my understanding and past conversations, it sounds like that area and Seminole right north are good areas to look. Based on other comments here, it sounds like Pinellas Park is a good area too and has some intriguing areas. Also, I was looking at places as far north as Largo.

Are these good areas to focus a search? They all appear to be within a relatively close distance for commuting to Bay Pines. How are the commutes in this area? My commuting window probably would occure between 6:30 and 8, AM, and 3:30-5 in the PM, depending on my start time (either 7 or 8 AM).

I've also seen some positive comments about the Dunedin area, although that seems a good bit farther north. Any idea what commute times are from there? I don't want to spend 2 hours each way on the road and am uterly unfamiliar with the traffic in this area.

I am hoping to be in St Pete in a couple weeks for a few days to get a better feel and look at places to stay too in order to make a final decision.

Thanks for any and all comments!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 04:49 PM

29 posts, read 91,842 times
In North St Pete on 4th Street or 9th St near Gandy Blvd there are many apartment complexes. Check apartmentratings.com to get an idea of how good/bad the apartment is. Generally you want to stay north of central ave in St Pete. If you want quick access to interstates or tampa, stay in N St Pete near Gandy.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:02 PM

627 posts, read 1,225,910 times
I personally think that Seminole would be your best bet if you were going to rent a house or duplex. There's not many great apartment complexes in the area that I know of; there are some nice townhouses around the Lake Seminole area though. The commute time from Seminole would probably only be about 10 minutes. Seminole offers a great community in between the "big" cities and the beach. It is a very family friendly area with awesome A+ schools (dont think thats a concern per your post... but you never know what the future holds)

Not too sure about Pinellas Park, everything that I know about that area, Kenneth City, and Lealman are all super negative. There might be some "diamond in the rough" areas but theyre kind of surrounded by not so desirable areas IMO

The area around Bay Pines is a good area... you might also want to check over onto Madeira Beach (to the West) or the Jungle Terrace area of St Petersburg (to the East)

Largo is hit and miss as well, there are some great areas but theres also some not so great areas... it really just depends on where exactly youre looking for.

Dunedin is about a 30 minute commute without traffic... there are numerous ways to get down to Bay Pines but youre still going to hit about an hour commute both ways. I grew up in Dunedin and I really dont see what the big hype is unless 1) you are Scottish or 2) you are over the age of 70.

If you could provide more specifics in regards to what youre looking to rent- size & $ wise, what kind of things youre into (partying, socializing, kayaking, running, etc) it may be easier to help you narrow down a community that might have more of what youre looking for

Old 01-09-2010, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the info so far! It is very helpful! Seminole does seem perfect, and may ultimately be an area I try to buy a house in. Everything I have seen, heard, and read is positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
If you could provide more specifics in regards to what youre looking to rent- size & $ wise, what kind of things youre into (partying, socializing, kayaking, running, etc) it may be easier to help you narrow down a community that might have more of what youre looking for
I think my first priority in this regard would be an area that affords me some options for outdoor activities. I run on a daily basis, and also really enjoy rollerblading. So any area with some outdoor activity opportunities would be good. I am not all that big of a partier, but would ultimately like an area that isn't a retirement community too. I am 32 and will certainly want to meet some folks close in age, who are active, to make friends with.

However, initially my biggest concern initially is finding a good, safe community within a reasonable commute of Bay Pines where I could rent and begin to familiarize myself with the area more in preparation of buying. So far, it seems that apartment communities are very hit or miss. A search of sites like craigslist do reveal some houses for rent which look promising.

Any suggestions are certainly welcome!

Old 01-10-2010, 11:35 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,499,838 times
Pinellas Park isn't a bad area by any means. It's centrally located if you have business in St. Pete, Clearwater, or Tampa. Pinellas Park's only real problem is that it's pretty rundown. This is understandable once you realize that most of its residents are blue-collar workers.

Largo doesn't really do much for me. I'm not sure why.

Lealman is an unincorporated area surrounded by Pinellas Park, Kenneth City, St. Pete, and, I think, a tiny bit of Seminole. It is constantly fighting off annexation attempts by most of its neighbors. It is one of the poorest areas of the county.

Kenneth City is the joke of Pinellas County due to its dysfunctional mayor and city council. It also has its own police force, even though the city is roughly a square mile in size. The police usually stake out 66th Street or 54th Avenue at night in order to catch speeders. The housing stock doesn't seem bad, just old and a little rundown. The neighborhood streets are very quiet. Many people wouldn't know they were in Kenneth City unless they noticed that the street signs changed designs.

Seminole isn't a bad area at all. It's central to most of the county and is just a couple of miles from the beach. From what I understand, some of the more desireable areas of Seminole aren't even in Seminole proper, but in unincorporated Pinellas. This area is the area around 102nd Avenue at Oakhurst. I'm not positive, though.

You could also find some nice houses in western St. Pete. It would be a straight shot up 66th Street or down 5th or 38th Avenues to the Bay Pines area. You might want to check out some homes in Gulfport or South Pasadena.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:15 PM

22,497 posts, read 33,399,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Hello everyone,

It looks set in stone that I am relocating to St Petersburg. Most likely by mid Feb, although the actual date is still up in the air until this upcoming week.

Anyway, I am starting to search for places to stay. My intention is to rent initially until I get a feel for the area and get settled, then buy a house.

I will be working in Bay Pines. From my understanding and past conversations, it sounds like that area and Seminole right north are good areas to look. Based on other comments here, it sounds like Pinellas Park is a good area too and has some intriguing areas. Also, I was looking at places as far north as Largo.

Are these good areas to focus a search? They all appear to be within a relatively close distance for commuting to Bay Pines. How are the commutes in this area? My commuting window probably would occure between 6:30 and 8, AM, and 3:30-5 in the PM, depending on my start time (either 7 or 8 AM).

I've also seen some positive comments about the Dunedin area, although that seems a good bit farther north. Any idea what commute times are from there? I don't want to spend 2 hours each way on the road and am uterly unfamiliar with the traffic in this area.

I am hoping to be in St Pete in a couple weeks for a few days to get a better feel and look at places to stay too in order to make a final decision.

Thanks for any and all comments!
Essentially the same areas I had asked a question about and received zero responses on. Interesting. Wonder why?

Old 01-10-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post

I think my first priority in this regard would be an area that affords me some options for outdoor activities. I run on a daily basis, and also really enjoy rollerblading. So any area with some outdoor activity opportunities would be good. I am not all that big of a partier, but would ultimately like an area that isn't a retirement community too. I am 32 and will certainly want to meet some folks close in age, who are active, to make friends with.
We have the Pinellas trail here which is a 34 mile paved trail that runs from the tip of North Pinellas county in Tarpon Springs all the way down into South St Petersburg. This trail actually passes right through Seminole and goes down past Bay Pines, so if you did live near it in Seminole you could ideally bike, rollerblade, or run to work . Theres supposedly tons of groups to meet up with like minded active individuals for kayaking and other outdoor activites on meetup . com
Seminole definitely isnt a retirement community, but it isnt a party town either. Pinellas County from the N tip to the S tip really is only about an hour commute without traffic... so really all cities/towns/areas are within travelling distance.. so is Tampa/Ybor/Hyde Park which are of course higher on the partier/social scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Essentially the same areas I had asked a question about and received zero responses on. Interesting. Wonder why?
Not sure why either Kyle, maybe the day your post was posted there were tons of others asking the same question or maybe with the way yours was worded, it didnt seem very friendly... idk because I didnt see it, but regardless why dont you soak up the information now and be thankful that this one was answered

Old 01-11-2010, 05:20 AM

Again, thanks for all the help!

The Pinellas trail sounds idea for rollerblading! I'll definately be checking that out. It sounds ideal!

Also, thanks for the info on the commute times. If one end to the other is about an hour, I should be fine just about anywhere within there, as far as travel times go. It is reassuring.

Everyone has been a big help! My next step it to take a trip down, scout out some places and try to chose one. It's so hard to get a feel for rentals online, but there does seem to be a decent selection of both managed rental complexes, and houses available for rent within a 10 mile radius of Bay Pines.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:04 PM

257 posts, read 435,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
We have the Pinellas trail here which is a 34 mile paved trail that runs from the tip of North Pinellas county in Tarpon Springs all the way down into South St Petersburg. This trail actually passes right through Seminole and goes down past Bay Pines, so if you did live near it in Seminole you could ideally bike, rollerblade, or run to work . Theres supposedly tons of groups to meet up with like minded active individuals for kayaking and other outdoor activites on meetup . com
Seminole definitely isnt a retirement community, but it isnt a party town either. Pinellas County from the N tip to the S tip really is only about an hour commute without traffic... so really all cities/towns/areas are within travelling distance.. so is Tampa/Ybor/Hyde Park which are of course higher on the partier/social scene.

Not sure why either Kyle, maybe the day your post was posted there were tons of others asking the same question or maybe with the way yours was worded, it didnt seem very friendly... idk because I didnt see it, but regardless why dont you soak up the information now and be thankful that this one was answered
LOL at this bunch...4 members,LOLOL...guess not too many elites up in tampa?

South Tampa Elite (Tampa, FL) - Meetup.com (http://www.meetup.com/SouthTampaElite/ - broken link)

Old 01-11-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboy1225 View Post
LOL at this bunch...4 members,LOLOL...guess not too many elites up in tampa?

South Tampa Elite (Tampa, FL) - Meetup.com (http://www.meetup.com/SouthTampaElite/ - broken link)

HAHAHAHAHA wow that is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay