U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 12:14 PM

22,452 posts, read 33,296,420 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm relocating to the Bay area and was hoping to narrow some choices.

I've heard I should stay away from various areas of St Pete but I can't establish a pattern.

I hear a knock on Dunedin is that it's flood-prone, but otherwise heavily recommended.

Seminole appears to be on higher ground but I know little else about it.

I seem to have more choices in Pinellas Park and like the location, I think.

I enjoy some walkability, a good food scene (farmers markets and non-chain restaurants), coffee shops (not Dunkin Donuts) and 1960s "old school Florida" buildings versus the newer stuff.

Thanks for any and all recommendations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 11:40 AM

471 posts, read 1,543,791 times
Dunedin-downtown is walkable and has a weekly farmers market in the winter. Close to the water, but that hasn't stopped anyone I know from living there, and I would too.
Seminole has some very nice areas, but I'm not as knowledgable about this area.
St. Pete, downtown has the great farmers market on Saturdays, and I would love living there. Very walkable. Ditto Old Northeast.
Pinellas Park-there are too many other places nicer, not on my list.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:32 AM

55 posts, read 210,511 times
I would definitely say Dunedin. I have only lived in the Tampa Bay area for almost 2 years. So you are getting a new comers perspective. Dunedin is a very charming and walkable town. Like Cariad said they have a farmers market every weekend in the winter. Beautiful views of the water. I think that Dunedin has a small town feel. More family oriented compared to St. Pete which is like a mini city, but it is also has a lot of cool places to walk. Babies are driving me nuts, gotta go.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:57 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,489,672 times
In St. Petersburg, the area you want to avoid is bordered by 1st Avenue South on the north, 4th Street South-ish on the east, 49th Street South to the west and somewhere around 54th Avenue South to the south. Basically, most of South St. Pete with the exception of Pinellas Point and areas close to the water.

St. Petersburg definitely has its fair share of 1950s-1960s buildings, moreso than anywhere else in the county. I should know; I've been tracking them down and photographing them for a year or two now. I like the vibe of St. Pete more than any of the North County areas like Clearwater, Dunedin, et cetera, but that's just me.

Pinellas Park is very convenient to everywhere in the area, but its residents and housing stock are lacking. It's all just very tired and rundown. If you can overlook a 1950s ranch house that hasn't been touched since the mid-70s and Bubba next door with his tow truck parked on the front lawn, then go for it. It really isn't bad, just a different type of culture.

Seminole is very, very suburban and seems pretty desireable. It's a couple of minutes from the beach and not far from St. Pete or Clearwater. Some areas near Largo and Lealman are a little dumpy. From what I can tell, some of the more desirable areas of Seminole aren't even in Seminole proper.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:18 PM

14 posts, read 49,155 times
Default Old Florida

If you really want "old Florida," why don't you try Ozona. It is small, very quaint close to the water and has real old Florida homes and feel. Also, Safety Harbor offers that to some extent. It's a very quaint old town with lots to do and has the greatest Safety Harbor Spa. Close to the water and a wonderful park right on the bay.

Dunedin has become very commercial and I really don't see the "family" atmosphere there. Lots of bars and drinking on the downtown streets. It is, however, a very cute and trendy place. Don't know anything about Seminole, but St Pete is a terrific town. You are right about there being some parts to stay away from, but the farmer's market and the walkability of the town are good.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:07 PM

6,073 posts, read 5,613,502 times
Dunedin is fabulous. Great local restaurants, with others nearby. Honeymoon Island has a wonderful beach. Pinellas Trail a big plus for walkers/bikers/skaters. Small-town feel with all basic services but close to all the big-city shopping.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:39 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,565,032 times
Dunedin is commercial and full of bars, with no family atmosphere? Since when? The Christmas Parade and Old Fashioned Christmas celebrations sure don't indicate that; nor would the ba-jillion strollers you see at the market. Live music venues get shut down pretty early so the neighbors don't complain. There's even a play park right on the waterfront.

IMO, Safety Harbor and Dunedin are fairly similar overall, as far as the "arty little small town in a large metro area" vibe. You have San Gennaro and the Seafood Festival, or Mardi Gras and Dunedin Wines the Blues. Either way you get streets closed for Art Festivals (heavy on the jewelry and metal dog and seabird sculptures). They both have a few rough edges, and some ridiculously expensive spots. Safety Harbor is a probably little more Republican and has weirder town politics. It also tends a little more toward chains (Crisper's, Starbucks), and admittedly Dunedin does have a drag club, which I think SH lacks. Maybe that's the issue.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:46 PM

21 posts, read 98,823 times
I would also suggest Dunedin for what your looking for.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:43 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,662,061 times
Hello everyone,

I've heard I should stay away from various areas of St Pete but I can't establish a pattern.earlier poster got it about right and downtown old ne is lovely.

I hear a knock on Dunedin is that it's flood-prone, but otherwise heavily recommended. like it too, but it can be very busy during art/culture events and its not big so it might get annoying t times but very pretty and i like the older homes there and quaint streets, dont let flood put you off just bear in mind it will cost you more in insurance

Seminole appears to be on higher ground but I know little else about it. love seminole, it is close to beaches, a lot of it is non flood zone, safe, clean, close to lots of shopping and good schools (public) a huge amount of stock of homes to choose from, from under $200k ranch homes to over a million homes with zoning for horses and everything in between including over 55 condos to apartment dwellings.

I seem to have more choices in Pinellas Park and like the location, I think. good location can be sketchy and a little redneck in areas and property values dont hold well but you can at least buy well there due to low prices.

I enjoy some walkability, a good food scene (farmers markets and non-chain restaurants), coffee shops (not Dunkin Donuts) and 1960s "old school Florida" buildings versus the newer stuff.then look at seminole near to beaches where there is some good eating/drinking places, and though there are dunkin donuts there are some other coffee places too, buildings from sixties up, and you can walk pinellas trail, botanical gardens area and walsingham park, in fact there are several parks in the locale and there are even plenty of neighborhoods with sidewalks, always used by locals for dog walking and exercise.

Thanks for any and all recommendations come and visit and see for youself

Old 02-01-2010, 08:21 PM

39 posts, read 163,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
I've heard I should stay away from various areas of St Pete but I can't establish a pattern.earlier poster got it about right and downtown old ne is lovely.
The earlier poster got it wrong when it comes to S St Pete. Lakewood Estates around the country club has one of the lowest crime rates in the city. It is also a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or