Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:10 AM

161 posts, read 273,618 times

Advertisements

Not being raised in a subtropical area, my knowledge about mold is scarce.
What do I need to know about this issue if I move to Tampa?

My aunt retired to the Tampa area over 30 years ago. Whenever I got into her car and she turned on the air conditioner, I would smell mold. Same with her friends car. They said they didn't smell anything....guess they got used to it after so long.
She would usually come up North for 6 weeks during the summer. She left her air conditioner running during that time. If not, she said that her condo would be overrun my mold.

How much of a concern and an issue is mold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 12:54 PM

515 posts, read 1,347,564 times
I don't know that a condo would be "overrun by mold" if it was left for six weeks without air conditioning, however a hot and humid environment is when mold grows the best. It is suggested to keep the air conditioner running at a temperature under 80 degrees in order to help prevent mold growth. The air conditioning also has a dehumidifying effect, which also helps to prevent mold. It's also important to fix and dry any sort of water leak inside of a house (especially if it's on carpet or wood) in order to prevent mold from forming.

The most important thing when it comes to mold that you need to worry about is if you buy real estate, making sure that the house you are buying doesn't have mold problems. Make sure that you get a good home inspection and that any mold issues are addressed.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:18 PM

42 posts, read 130,181 times
How much under 80 degrees should you keep your a/c to be safe from mold? Is 79 safe or should it really be more like 71-72? I'm just curious because I'm going to being a grad student pinching pennies and not wanting to run the a/c more than i have to.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:23 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,634,479 times
Lowering the temperature too much can make things worse. It can cause condensation inside and moisture is what helps mold grow.

Just think about if you ever found something moldy in the fridge. Obviously the very cold temp did not stop the growth of mold.

I keep my AC at 82 and have never had a mold problem. An AC set at 80 during the summer will have a lower relative humidity than a house set at 77, at 76 it is higher and at 71 even higher. High relative humidity can be a breeding ground for mold.

The keys to keeping mold away is to clean up any moisture as soon as you see it. Keep your AC fan on "auto" not "on". Change your filters regularly. Make sure to use the exhaust fan in the bathroom if you have one.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:29 PM

427 posts, read 1,093,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Lowering the temperature too much can make things worse. It can cause condensation inside and moisture is what helps mold grow.

Just think about if you ever found something moldy in the fridge. Obviously the very cold temp did not stop the growth of mold.

I keep my AC at 82 and have never had a mold problem. An AC set at 80 during the summer will have a lower relative humidity than a house set at 77, at 76 it is higher and at 71 even higher. High relative humidity can be a breeding ground for mold.

The keys to keeping mold away is to clean up any moisture as soon as you see it. Keep your AC fan on "auto" not "on". Change your filters regularly. Make sure to use the exhaust fan in the bathroom if you have one.
I'm not an AC guy, but I thought the dehumidifying effect was mostly due the evaporator part attracting the water out of the air, and into the drip pan. And the more you run it, the more it does this. Also doesn't the condensation happen outside the glass? A girl was writing letters on the glass outside work today as it was so humid out.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:14 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,242 times
I currently live in an apartment and me and my fiancee are going to NY to visit my family and look for a house. We will be gone for 18 days...I was wondering if I should just turn my AC off (Too save money) or will my apartment overheat and cause some kind of mold issue?

Old 07-29-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
I'm not an AC guy, but I thought the dehumidifying effect was mostly due the evaporator part attracting the water out of the air, and into the drip pan. And the more you run it, the more it does this. Also doesn't the condensation happen outside the glass? A girl was writing letters on the glass outside work today as it was so humid out.
Yes, the AC running does pull the moisture out but the AC set too low will increase the moisture content in the home from condensation. This is why having the correct sized unit is very important. Some people will go with an oversized unit which will cool the house very quickly but then will not be on long enough to remove enough moisture. The right sized unit will be on long enough to effectively remove the moisture but once again set too low will increase the moisture due to condensation.

If it is much cooler inside than outside and there is moisture in the air you will get condensation inside.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:51 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,237,396 times
A/C at 82? holy crap.

We keep ours at 75 and dont have mold problems

most people who I see with mold issues have old ass houses that they dont take care of. If you leave air ducts for 50 years and never clean them then of course theyll get moldy.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
A/C at 82? holy crap.

We keep ours at 75 and dont have mold problems

most people who I see with mold issues have old ass houses that they dont take care of. If you leave air ducts for 50 years and never clean them then of course theyll get moldy.
Some people move to Florida because they like warm weather. Why would I move to a warm weather climate and set the a/c to make it feel as if I was in a cool weather climate?

Old 10-03-2011, 05:52 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,085,827 times
I worked on nearly 800 condos in the Tampa area and the only ones that ended up with mold were the ones without the ac on in the summer. Best to keep it around 78 to 80 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay