Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 08:50 AM

40 posts, read 69,780 times

Advertisements

We are an African American family thinking of relocating to the Tampa area from the Washington, DC metro area and was wondering if anyone could let us know about the vibe in Tampa. We are a middle class family with three children; ages 9, 6, and 4. My wife works in healthcare (as a provider or administration) and I work in IT (software testing or CMMI Quality Assurance). As we are getting older, we want to live somewhere with nice weather all year round, great schools for the kids, diversity, and natural beauty. We also want to live somewhere where the people are friendly and nice; and accepting of people of all races.

Does Tampa sound like a good choice for us? If not, are there any cities in Florida that may work?

I'm a runner and have run in several marathons and half-marathons. I also enjoy biking. I recently learned to ride a motorcycle so I'm looking to enjoy that. My wife enjoys being places where she can read a book and enjoy the view at the same time.

For some reason, when I think of Florida, I think of alligators. Are they a big problem?

We were looking at San Diego but the lack of diversity and distance from family may not work. Miami has the beauty and weather, but crime and it's school system do not make it ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 09:58 AM

6 posts, read 11,239 times
Hi,

I moved from Ohio to San Diego about 11 years ago, and then up to Santa Barbara, CA. Though it is beautiful & the weather is pretty darn nice, it is VERY far away from family. You have to consider not only the travel distance but also the time change - it makes a big difference & as I've gotten older I've really started to regret it.
It is also very expensive here & I don't feel that the people are as nice as people back home - there are a lot of fake people & there is a lot of money - it's all about how you look and what kind of car you drive. Not much diversity, either, IMO.
My husband & I are also planning on moving to the Tampa area to be in a warm climate & closer to home. We're not sure where yet, but I think these forums are very helpful.

Good luck - and I'd say just visit California when you want to!

Old 01-18-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlejen View Post
You have to consider not only the travel distance but also the time change - it makes a big difference & as I've gotten older I've really started to regret it.

Good luck - and I'd say just visit California when you want to!
Thanks,

My wife is very close to her family, so the San Diego distance may be an issue.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:59 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,756 times
I've never lived in Tampa, but we go there all the time and have been talking for years about moving there when we can, so pretty much everytime we go we're scouting the area out for good places to live if we ever relocate with our kids.

Not really ever sure what someone means by 'diversity'...? If you mean a majority black school...Then you will have to live in Tampa...Other than that...Palm Harbor, Tarpon Springs Dunedin are nice little areas, Clearwater and St. Pete are also really nice. Tampa proper, I think you would want to stay around New Tampa area.

The biggest concern I have about relocating to the area is the job market. Still after all this time don't really have a good feel for how stable of a market it is. Seems to be hurting pretty bad right now.

But anyway, if you do it, I'm sure you won't regret it. The Tampa are is great, very nice, beautiful surroundings, lots to do!

Old 01-18-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
Not really ever sure what someone means by 'diversity'...? If you mean a majority black school
I would say that in my case, it would be somewhere where it is not out of the norm to see other races and people are acceptable of all races. The majority could be black, white, hispanic, asian, etc.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:15 AM

86 posts, read 237,017 times
I live in Riverview/Brandon area. Reasonably close to Tampa etc. Quite family oriented. A mixture of white, black, hispanic/latino families/singles. Smaller asian contingent. Affordable homes. Some top notch schools but don't assume all are. Do your homework. You may want to explore New Tampa/Wesley Chapel area(very family oriented), Land O lakes/Lutz. Try and locate reasonably close to where you most likely would be working. It takes me 30 minutes from Riverview to Westshore area of Tampa @ rush hour, quite manageable. Good luck.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:53 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,079,153 times
Good jobs in healthcare, lots of great welcoming areas to live, beautiful beaches within minutes of some great areas, with good schools to live that are safe and family friendly for all.
Plus the traffic is a lot less than DC metro area

Old 08-08-2010, 05:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandFamily View Post
We are an African American family thinking of relocating to the Tampa area from the Washington, DC metro area and was wondering if anyone could let us know about the vibe in Tampa. We are a middle class family with three children; ages 9, 6, and 4. My wife works in healthcare (as a provider or administration) and I work in IT (software testing or CMMI Quality Assurance). As we are getting older, we want to live somewhere with nice weather all year round, great schools for the kids, diversity, and natural beauty. We also want to live somewhere where the people are friendly and nice; and accepting of people of all races.

Does Tampa sound like a good choice for us? If not, are there any cities in Florida that may work?

I'm a runner and have run in several marathons and half-marathons. I also enjoy biking. I recently learned to ride a motorcycle so I'm looking to enjoy that. My wife enjoys being places where she can read a book and enjoy the view at the same time.

For some reason, when I think of Florida, I think of alligators. Are they a big problem?

We were looking at San Diego but the lack of diversity and distance from family may not work. Miami has the beauty and weather, but crime and it's school system do not make it ideal.
Maryland Family,

Did you make the move to Florida yet? We are looking to move to that area also. What was your experience? What have things been like since the move? What about school, housing, etc?

Old 08-08-2010, 11:06 AM

794 posts, read 1,860,611 times
I just moved my family of 5 from New York in March/April. I had a great job waiting for me when I got here.

So far it has been a blessing and I don't regret the move at all. We love the Tampa area and everything it offers. You really need to have an open mind and be flexible when you move to ANY new area be it East Coast; West Coast; North or South. On the whole I love the southern hospitality. Being from New York, I am finally starting to calm down and adapt to the southern ways.

The only thing I have had difficulty with is with the Florida drivers. I will say that it's probably MY problem of being impatient. We love the beauty, weather, people, and standard of living.

I would go for it!

Old 08-08-2010, 12:17 PM

58 posts, read 147,926 times
There are a ton of bikers in Tampa, so you will fit right in those terms. And while I haven't personally seen any marathons (not that I go out looking for them), I also see a ton of runners. So activity-wise, it seems to fit your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay