Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,122 times

Advertisements

We are currently living in Georgia and we currently have convienence stores as a partnership with one other person in the tampa area and I would like to ask a few questions:

I digged a little research online about the schools in the tampa area and it seems like when I saw the test scores, graduation rates, etc... It seems like there were numbers like 56% of people passing some test called FCAT and I also saw data that some schools were having graduation rates in the 60% to 70% range and I spoke with people over there about the schools and they were telling me that it was a mistake to move down here and my child ended up struggling so bad that he almost failed the class even though he or she worked very hard and was even an honor student at the schools he attended in other states. I actually knew some of them because they lived in my area in georgia(I live in Atlanta, on the Gwinnett County side in the lilburn area) and they said that their child was an honor student in georgia, but moved into Tampa Bay area and ended up struggling because the teachers were so bad that they didn't even care about teaching because the focus was all on FCAT. Luckly on a positive note that person ended up graduating, but now college is very hard for him because he wasn't prepared to handle college in the high schools. The person I spoke with his son went to Sickles High School and my religious church is located in the area and people want to be close to the church as possible.

And how is Special Education in the Tampa Area. I havent heard very much from anybody and I even searched this forum and I found stuff relating to Sarasota and Collier and Lee Counties for Special Education. How is the services in General, do they have teachers who will do everything to get you to do a due process on the district or do they have teachers that will try to do everything to make the students sucessful. Also, how it usually works as far as programs go. Do they have programs at every school or do they have it at different schools different programs. Also, do they have paras or the students are left without paras. How does it work.

Is it really bad as what people are saying it is. God forbid we are not moving right now, but I would like to know some information just for curiousity purposes.

One more question....

Since there is a oil spill in the gulf and I been seeing threads on the forum about how people are starting to smell the gas in some parts of the tampa area, if god forbid that the oil ends up in the Tampa Bay area, will it have an affect on my Dad's convienence stores as far as sales and Oil Shipment, because I think the Oil comes from the port of tampa or something. His stores thankfully arent BP(It is radiant/marathon store). I am just asking because some people are smelling smoke on some days and I even heard that people with astima are ending up going to the hospital because of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 09:19 PM

357 posts, read 798,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himmy101 View Post

Is it really bad as what people are saying it is. God forbid we are not moving right now, but I would like to know some information just for curiousity purposes.
No, probably not. It's worse.

Quote:
One more question....

Since there is a oil spill in the gulf and I been seeing threads on the forum about how people are starting to smell the gas in some parts of the tampa area, if god forbid that the oil ends up in the Tampa Bay area, will it have an affect on my Dad's convienence stores as far as sales and Oil Shipment, because I think the Oil comes from the port of tampa or something. His stores thankfully arent BP(It is radiant/marathon store). I am just asking because some people are smelling smoke on some days and I even heard that people with astima are ending up going to the hospital because of this.
If we start to see the sludge creeping up to our shores as Pensacola is now, we are definitely going to have major health problems here. That's a totally different topic, though, and people are going to still need gas for their cars either way!

Off the top of my head right now I could name about a dozen or so gas stations that have been closed off and on for the past several years. There's an interesting phenomenon here in which a gas station will open up for a couple months, close down for 1-3 years, then maybe open up again for another month, only to repeat the cycle. And these are in prime locations! Some stations have sat empty for 5+ years. It's not something that started when Great Depression Part II kicked off, I first noticed this phenomenon a decade ago. Maybe it's always been like that here?

I know the industry is very competitive as far as fuel prices are concerned, and it's my understanding that station owners only gain a small percentage of profit from their fuel sales once taxes, refueling fees, etc. are figured in. Maybe it's just so competitive here and the commercial real estate too expensive that the overhead required to get a store up and running is too much for a lot of private owners? Perhaps someone with direct experience in Tampa Bay would know why so many stations remain mostly closed for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay