Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:02 PM

90 posts, read 353,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scholomanc View Post
Hello Everyone. I'm new to this forum. I was wondering if I could get info on certain Fl. areas, such as Bayonet Point, Land O Lakes, New Port Richey, Tarpon Springs, Hudson etc. I will be retiring in 4 years from New York and have done some research on Palm Harbor. It seems lovely. Almost too good to be true. I'm interested in single family house prices, job opportunities & crime stats. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'm here in New Port Richey and I'm a Long Island NY girl...and I'm NOT a happy camper! First of all...people at Publix are very friendly, and in general everyone seems to be pretty nice...but Route 19, the major road right through town is 6 lanes of the ugliest stretch of road in the entire country. Nothing but topless bars followed by used car lots followed by fast food joints and cash cashing places. There are major major car accidents with people being airlifted to area hospitals every couple of hours. The roads are filled with little old people who really shouldn't be driving anymore, and good ol' boys in pickup trucks who have a few too many Bud Light's under their belts to be safely driving. (sigh). I've GOTTA get outta here, I am miserable with a capital M.

Not to mention the work situation...I'm a Registered Nurse, and I can make almost as much as I made in New York down here (surprising!) but my ex, who was earning $45 an hour in NY working in electronics, was out of work here for quite some time, with the only job offer a measely $8 an hour. After six months, he was able to find a job in Tampa, but he only earns $14 an hour. Granted, things here are much much much cheaper than in NY, but to tell you the truth, I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning for $14 an hour.

As far as the towns themselves, I've found Tarpon to be lovely, as well as Palm Harbor. But New Port Richey...I guess I'm just a "New York SNOB"...this ain't workin' for me~~!!!

Good luck to you.

One thing I will say, I sure don't miss the snow...but I also had to learn how to cook chinese myself. There is NOTHING in the world like NY restaurants...and while we've been able to find some nice Italian places, good Thai, great Greek, some OK steak places, there is not one indian restaurant and the chinese, although there's a chinese place on every corner...we have NEVER found one single chinese restaurant that we didn't just leave all the food on the table and walk out (after we paid the bill of course). And our favorite Italian place actually has their pizza dough shipped down from New Jersey! And were actually able to find a reasonable "Jewish" deli-type restaurant, which happens to be in Palm Harbor.

I've just put my condo on the market. I sold my NY condo for $320,000, and bought a little one in NPR for $79.5K. I'm gonna have to take a loss, but I gotta get outta here. I'm looking at St Pete, Tampa, and Dunedin right now.

Last edited by DecoDiva; 06-05-2007 at 07:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 07:10 PM

90 posts, read 353,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
I understand that if you buy a home in the Cascades in Brooksville, you are hit with both city (Brooksville) and county taxes......combined taxes would be around $4,000.......homes start at $170,000 and up.

Interesting why anyone would want to come to Fl. and spend $$$ on taxes and HOI......the weather is no bargain either.
Well I paid $600 in taxes this year on my condo...and on Long Island I had to refinance my condo in order to pay my property taxes almost every year...my taxes were over $5,000. My electric bills in Florida even with the a/c going MOST of the time all year long have NEVER been more than $125. On Long Island, my electric bills, no matter the season, were never less than $500 a month. Those are pretty good reasons for wanting to spend my money in Florida, I think.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:07 PM

4 posts, read 13,729 times
I'd avoid New Port Richey. You might think about the Brandon area. Apollo Beach is also nice but there's not much out there but water, but if you are a "near the water" kind of person, its still very affordable to live there.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:42 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoDiva View Post
I'm here in New Port Richey and I'm a Long Island NY girl...and I'm NOT a happy camper! First of all...people at Publix are very friendly, and in general everyone seems to be pretty nice...but Route 19, the major road right through town is 6 lanes of the ugliest stretch of road in the entire country. Nothing but topless bars followed by used car lots followed by fast food joints and cash cashing places. There are major major car accidents with people being airlifted to area hospitals every couple of hours. The roads are filled with little old people who really shouldn't be driving anymore, and good ol' boys in pickup trucks who have a few too many Bud Light's under their belts to be safely driving. (sigh). I've GOTTA get outta here, I am miserable with a capital M.

Not to mention the work situation...I'm a Registered Nurse, and I can make almost as much as I made in New York down here (surprising!) but my ex, who was earning $45 an hour in NY working in electronics, was out of work here for quite some time, with the only job offer a measely $8 an hour. After six months, he was able to find a job in Tampa, but he only earns $14 an hour. Granted, things here are much much much cheaper than in NY, but to tell you the truth, I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning for $14 an hour.

As far as the towns themselves, I've found Tarpon to be lovely, as well as Palm Harbor. But New Port Richey...I guess I'm just a "New York SNOB"...this ain't workin' for me~~!!!

Good luck to you.

One thing I will say, I sure don't miss the snow...but I also had to learn how to cook chinese myself. There is NOTHING in the world like NY restaurants...and while we've been able to find some nice Italian places, good Thai, great Greek, some OK steak places, there is not one indian restaurant and the chinese, although there's a chinese place on every corner...we have NEVER found one single chinese restaurant that we didn't just leave all the food on the table and walk out (after we paid the bill of course). And our favorite Italian place actually has their pizza dough shipped down from New Jersey! And were actually able to find a reasonable "Jewish" deli-type restaurant, which happens to be in Palm Harbor.

I've just put my condo on the market. I sold my NY condo for $320,000, and bought a little one in NPR for $79.5K. I'm gonna have to take a loss, but I gotta get outta here. I'm looking at St Pete, Tampa, and Dunedin right now.
I feel for you DecoDiva because I agree with you about that road being one of the ugliest, and most dangerous in the country - and everything you said about it is true, and also the area.

You will be MUCH happier in Tampa/St. Pete, I promise you - much more cosmopolitan and there are some wonderful restaurant choices here.

Good luck on getting out soon!

Old 06-12-2007, 12:36 PM

57 posts, read 196,808 times
When were you looking at moving down here? The market is changing so fast that I want to make sure I give you some solid information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay