U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 10:01 AM

7 posts, read 15,944 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Tampa in the next 2 -3 months. I start my new job on 3-15. It is in the USF area of town. I know that the area surrounding USF is not the most desirable, so I am looking in the New Tampa/ Wesley Chapel areas of town. We have 3 kids (9/7/2) so safety and good schools are a priority. Ideally we would like a 5/4 with a pool. We are looking to spend no more than 300K. We have looked online and are wondering which neighborhoods are best. We have ruled out Bridgewater based on what I have read here. I have seen some in Boyette Oaks (WC) and Seven Oaks that look promising. Also any information about the following is greatly appreciated. Insurance rates on cars and homes (looking for non-flood plain, no evacuation zone homes), if pools are generally salt water or chemical (and what it takes to convert), and communities that used the chinese drywall I have read about. Thanks for the input. If anyone has questions concerning Nashville area i would be happy to help..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 02:10 AM

515 posts, read 1,280,012 times
In New Tampa....Tampa Palms, Hunter's Green, Arbor Greene, and Grand Hampton are all nice. Cory Lake Isles is a good area too, however' they're having some serious financial issues with the soundness of the HOA. You shouldn't have a problem finding a five bedroom house for that price, as there are lots of good deals around.

The newer the home, the cheaper the insurance will be. The age of the home can have an effect of several hundred dollars a year on the premium. My insurance runs a little over $900 per year for a 2000 square foot home in the New Tampa area built in 2007. A pool is going to make your insurance rates (and your utility bills) higher.

Chinese drywall could be all over the place. Certain builders used almost entirely Chinese drywall for certain periods, and those are the houses that are having the major problems. Other builders may have used batches of Chinese drywall intermittently, but it's not enough to cause anything noticeable in the house because it's also mixed in with mainly US drywall. When you look for houses just look for the signs of Chinese drywall such as the oxidized pipes and the sulfur smell. The test kits are a sham and the effectiveness of "drywall sniffing dogs" hasn't been proven. The only positive way to see if you have Chinese drywall is to pull the wall down and look at what it says on the board. One way to be 100% sure that you're avoiding it is to buy a home constructed prior to the housing boom in 2005-2006.

I don't have a pool, so I can't help you out with that one. I do know that most of the older pools use regular chemical filtration.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:30 AM

7 posts, read 15,944 times
Thanks Occifer,
We were down this past weekend and settled on a new home (just finishing up) in Easton Park. We got the home we wanted but no pool (will come later). According to our future neighbor we got a tremendous deal, paying 100,000 less for a bigger house than those that bought just 2 years ago. Since our home is new construction, should we worry about Chinese Drywall? MI home is the builder and I did see that they had some problems in the past. I trust that they have corrected them. Our realtor was very good and ruled out some neighborhoods we wanted to look at since they were having HOA problems and might be getting assessed. We really did trust her, so when she said that MI homes was a good builder, we believed her. What is everyone's experience? Also who is a good pool/ patio (sorry I cant call it a lanai just yet) enclosure company? Thanks for all the information. This forum has made the move to Tampa much less daunting.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:33 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,148,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k10ski View Post
I know that the area surrounding USF is not the most desirable
The least desirable of all, of course, being USF-adjacent Temple Terrace where, according to City-Data stats, the crime rate over a 10 year period pretty much mirrors that of the rest of the country's average overall rate.

Especially horrible about this USF-adjacent area is the type of people who live there. Temple Terrace residents' level of education alone, relative to the state of Florida, is embarrassingly out of step as you can see here...

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy30/housingcrashsurvivor/temple-terrace-education-le.jpg (broken link)

For population 25 years and over in Temple TerraceAll of those people with degrees, ick!

Here's some more City-Data stats on this USF-adjacent, not most desirable area:

Estimated median household income in 2008: $54,472 (it was $44,508 in 2000)
Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Temple...#ixzz0gI4ebA2o

Races in Temple Terrace:

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy30/housingcrashsurvivor/temple-terrace-1.jpg (broken link)

I don't know how we survive it.

Last edited by housingcrashsurvivor; 02-22-2010 at 11:43 AM..

Old 02-22-2010, 12:08 PM

3,381 posts, read 8,719,374 times
It appears someone has discovered where to find stat along with graphs on this site. It also appears they have discovered the Print Screen button. Al kidding aside though, thanks for reminding me that his information can be found on City-Data.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:41 PM

16,758 posts, read 36,292,397 times
Temple Terrace is a very nice place to live. My husband has relatives living there, he works for USF. There are some really beautiful homes, lovely community. If I had a job in the area, I would definitely like living in Temple Terrace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay