Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:46 PM

4 posts, read 30,030 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I'm thinking of relocating to the Tampa area. I've been looking at apartment complexes around the area, (i'm thinking either brandon or clearwater areas..family lives in both of these areas) however none of them allow the aggressive dog breeds. Is this a definite? This is very disappointing because i well i love my dog. He is very well behaved chow mix although does bark sometimes at a knock on the door. I was wondering how serious most complex owners are about this? Would i have better luck renting a house with a couple of roomates? Do some owners take dogs on a case by case basis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 08:29 PM

451 posts, read 933,366 times
Hey Kaenllny,
You're in a tough spot, one I share at this point. I'll be moving to the Tampa Bay in May, and have had a terrible time finding apartments that allow "aggressive breeds" in the areas I'm looking to move (for reference: soho/hyde park).

Here's the problem: allowing aggressive breeds is not the decision of the renter, it is dictated by their insurer. Any larger apartment complex (more than a small multi-unit building) will likely be managed by a property management company. These companies have insurance deals where they must operate at the whims of their contract-- and all insurers (from my research) require a no aggressive breed policy.

That means that your lovely chow mix and my sweet-as-pie doberman can't live in the majority of apartment complex in most states-- not just florida.

Your best bet? Find a private renter, like a single-family home, a duplex or other option where the owner is not a management company. Ask that person directly, ask them about their "pet fees" (and don't bring up breed restrictions) and if they ask what kind of dog you have, say you have a chow mix. Most non-dog owners won't think of a chow as an "aggressive breed", and if they are dog people they'll know the aggressive breed laws are ridiculous and accept you anyway.

Long story short, skip large complexes-- stick to private owners. They're harder to find, especially on craigslist (the management companies spam craigslist with their listings constantly). Don't give up, you'll find something that you and your pup will love.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:38 PM

451 posts, read 933,366 times
One more anecdote. Interestingly, the "aggressive breed" policies were created largely for problems relating to pit bulls. When the policies were drafted, however, insurers want a more "robust" list that didn't single out just one breed, so they added other breeds that actually show little aggression.

Take the Doberman Pinscher, for example. The Doberman is known as a tough, nasty dog as portrayed in the media. How many films and TV shows have we seen where the Doberman is used as a guard dog? They're very territorial animals, and they will go into protection mode if someone with ill intent (see also: squirrel) enters their territory without an introduction from its master. From wikipedia:

"Doberman Pinschers rank as far less aggressive towards humans, and show less aggression than many breeds without a reputation (e.g., Cocker Spaniel, Border Collie and Great Dane). This study concluded that aggression has a genetic basis, that the Doberman shows a distinctive pattern of aggression depending on the situation, and that contemporary Doberman Pinschers are not an aggressive breed overall."

That said, I understand why they're on an "aggressive breed" list. When I walk my brother's doberman, people cross the street to avoid her, just the look of her cropped ears and tail are a bit frightening. My doberman has his ears and tail, he's a red doberman not black, and is as sweet and docile as can be (LOVES people, babies, puppies, very "motherly" of a dog). Due to his different appearance, people often ask what breed he is. Yeah, he's a big scary doberman-- watch your back.

/end rant.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:07 PM

626 posts, read 1,347,734 times
I have a 90 pound American Bulldog and went through the same ish when looking for a place.

In apartment complexes, If they have chow listed... you can usually get away with it if you can pass your doggie off as another breed. Not sure what else he might look like, but Ive known lots of people with "lab mixes" that were anything from Pits to Rottweilers. Most apt places around here dont ask for shot records, papers, or pictures... so your doggie could pretty much be anything you wanted him to be My guy has been a boxer and he's been 50 pounds (breed restrictions and weight limit) and we've been fine.
Sometimes if youre extra friendly about it, you can get the leasing rep to give you some info on if its going to be a big deal or not. I had one tell me when I was searching that nobody will ever know and to just put ____ and ____ on the application.

If youre wanting to be totally honest though then I second thethinktank's response... You are probably better off renting from a private renter instead of an apartment complex. Otherwise, youre just going to have to kind of work it... but you should NEVER get rid of your doggie just because certain places wont accept him, there are so many that will!!

Old 01-25-2010, 11:07 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,759 times
i lived at two complexes in tampa now, and neither place has seen my dog. granted, it is a border collie/retriever mix, so he is far from agressive, but I could have had a friggin' rottie/vampire/zombie mix and they wouldn't ever know.

When I lived in Savannah, GA, i moved into an alright complex and my dog had to go on an "interview" where his shot records were reviewed, they met the dog to ensure he wasn't aggressive.

Here in Tampa, I just filled out my lease, wrote down what he weighed, what he was, what color, and that his shots were up to date. My last complex was alright, but my current one is a very nice community and quite strict but I could have a rabid 400 lb grizzly bear and they would have no clue.

I am not an advocate of lying... just sayin'

Besides, If I got bit by your dog at my complex because you lied about what it was, I would likely sue you, but I would sue the daylights out of the wealthy management company for not properly enforcing their pet policy. Chances are your dog is sweet though. I am a dog lover and don't really discrimate based on breed restrictions.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:22 AM

515 posts, read 1,347,433 times
Just understand that apartment staff will enter your apartment from time to time (after posting it) to do various maintenance tasks. While most probably don't care in the slightest, if a staff member sees that you have a dog that violates the pet restrictions and reports you then you can be evicted. In addition to forfeiting your deposit(s), you'd have about a month to find a new place to live.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:32 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occifer View Post
Just understand that apartment staff will enter your apartment from time to time (after posting it) to do various maintenance tasks.
On this note, it should also be stated that (not just in Florida, google is your friend here) the staff has been known to enter people's apartments for no reason once so ever. DEFINITELY invest in a safe.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:33 AM

20 posts, read 94,243 times
I know this post is old but what happens if I have a mut likely mixed with pit bull but the veternarian has provided papers stating he is a "hound mix"? How does it work if someone sees him and thinks he is pit, does the paper work keep us safe from eviction?

Old 03-13-2012, 04:34 PM

173 posts, read 391,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben&TeddysMOM View Post
I know this post is old but what happens if I have a mut likely mixed with pit bull but the veternarian has provided papers stating he is a "hound mix"? How does it work if someone sees him and thinks he is pit, does the paper work keep us safe from eviction?
Get a DNA test...

Seriously Pits look like a lot of other dogs, and vice versa. Here are several good examples... Find the pit bull

Just keep your mouth shut... the only reason they would know you have an "aggressive breed" is if you tell the neighbors..This is the hard part. Even if you have super cool... understanding neighbors.. just telling one .. who blathers to another... Eventually, you'get around to someone who doesn't understand.

And in reference to an earlier post.. yes, maintenance staff enter your apartment -- sometimes without your permission..like the time my apartment was flooding the apartment below... (the icemaker died......)

Old 03-13-2012, 04:53 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
If they ask put down what the vet said on the paper the dog is not what it might be.

You can get a DNA test kit at the pet supermarkets but even those may not be 100% correct. They cost around $35
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay