Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:13 AM

14 posts, read 33,649 times

Advertisements

I am from Chicago and moved here last April. My husband and I still own our house in the Chicago suburbs, so we are renting here. We rent in Westchase, which reminds me of the better parts of Naperville and Schaumburg. Lots of convenient shopping, bike paths, and open green areas. We also like Dunedin and Safety Harbor.

Don't miss anything about Chicago except for my family and maybe the leaves turning in fall. My husband and I go out every weekend and find somehing to do outside, even if it is just looking around at the flea market.

What I tell people is that in Chicago I went out in the winter to go in. Go in to a movie or a resteraunt. In Florida I go out to go out. I get more exercise and feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 08:58 AM

190 posts, read 492,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjea0124 View Post
If anyone from the Midwest (i.e. Chicago) is on here can you shed some light on how Tampa is compared to the lifestyle of the Midwest? Do you like/dislike, are you dieing to move back, how bad is this so called "traffic" everyone talks about?

We are making the move as we have no family left and my parents will be in Tampa in June but after spending a few days reading on these forums I just feel such a negative vibe towards the whole Tampa area (including suburbs/rural), bad neighborhoods (can be found in any area), horrible schools, congestion, traffic, many say it's dirty.

I come from a "suburb town" of Chicago with population of 60,000 people and a county of 5.5 million and in my town we have a very expensive part, a middle class, and a lower end area. Each are pretty segregated and you know when you are in a different part. Is this just like Tampa and its surrounding areas? Yes we have mini strip malls and shops on almost every block. Only thing we don't have is the "strip clubs" that many seem to say they are everywhere down there.

We have begun looking at outside areas (LOL, Lutz, Ruskin, Riverview, etc). Are these pretty much considered outside of the "Tampa area" and more rural type locations?

I had posted another thread but didn't seem to get any response or maybe didn't state what I wanted to.

Thanks in advance
Interesting question...I had been flirting with the reverse idea. I've thought about moving to the Chicago area. Ex-Chicagoans living in the area have suggested the idea to me. Personally, I want more access to singles and have heard that the money is better in Chicago, but I have since learned that IL state govt is experiencing a major budget crisis. I work in the non-profit sector, so it looks as if Chicago is currently not a good choice. Plus, I've learned that Chicagoans are taxed and fee'd to the hilt--just as New Yorkers have been. The low sales tax in FL is a big plus. There is no state income tax. There is also something to say about the weather here in the Tampa Bay area. I love it because there is variety. Before I moved back to Florida (originally from Miami), I had dreaded the possibility of year-round, oppressive heat. Miami looks and feels much more tropical that the Tampa Bay area. Here, the climate is definitely subtropical.

You also seem to be in search of a semi-rural area without all of the problems associated with over population. The Tampa Bay area should be a welcomed change. If you are interesting in family communities, I wouldn't rule out being on the other side of the Bay--in Pinellas or Pasco counties. Before moving here, I was frightened about commuting across the Howard Franklin (I-275) into deep Tampa. I've learned from traveling back and forth at various times of the day that the commute is not bad—unless there is a major accident. In fact, the drive across the bay is fast and beautiful. Just be alert for speeders and unusual occurrences, e.g., chair on the road. Expect congestion on the Tampa side of I-275 during evening rush hour. Another poster suggested that you consider western areas, such as Lakeland, Mulberry, and Bartow. These areas have farm land and a Southern feel. You might experience culture shock. Regardless, I think they are too far inland for my taste. You'd be looking at 1 - 1.5 hours to get to the beach, so you'd probably have to visit the beach on the weekend. With high speed rail/ the Bullet coming in the future, maybe this area would be a good choice. At present, the Tampa Bay Area's roads, including St. Petersburg, allow for quick movement. In Pinellas County, I-275 allows for very efficient movement. You can experience Clearwater, St. Pete, and Tampa all on the same day. As for demographics, the Tampa Bay area has a large mid-class and lower-mid class. However, there are plenty of areas where you can park a Mercedes or a yacht. As for the strip clubs, they are scattered about. There are 4-6 clubs on Dale Mabry--near the stadium. They blend in--and are a bit upscale--if you want to say that about strip clubs. Personally, I recommend Mons Venus if its men's night out—just bring napkins…ha! As for Pinellas Park (on the other side of the bay), there are a few strip clubs on 66th street too and heading 19N into Clearwater. My impression is that they are tolerated because of their proximity to the beach. These clubs are not eye sores. As for Pinellas Park area, which is on the west side of Pinellas County, feels somewhat estranged from the beach and Tampa. On weekdays (after work), activities, such as shopping, are confined to highway 19. I reside here and am considering locating to an area with a younger demographic--which I have learned is in SW and SE Tampa or Clearwater. The St. Pete area is nice too. The area near the Pier reminds me of the best of Miami (pre-1980). There is an artsy community that is hanging on, but needs a morale booster. Leaving Chicago, you may miss the "well-developed" public transportation system. I hear that Chicago has an incredible subway. You may also miss the distinctiveness of communities. You'll notice that Florida has a large blend, transient population with no real history. As for humidity, you may need to purchase a dehumidifier. The summer thunder-storms occur almost every day--usually in the afternoon, but not always. With that said, an entire day outside in the summer is unlikely. In one respect this is good because of the high summertime sunburn index. I strongly advise using sunscreen, having a seriously big beach umbrella, having plenty of ice-cold drinks on hand and keeping several roles of quarters in your car for parking. Some beaches allow a credit card. The hourly beach rate (besides Fort Desoto Park) is about 50 cents. The beach water is not hot or cold in the summer time--it is perfect. The waves are small compared to the Atlantic. Fort Desoto Park has ripples--not waves--and looks a bit like green lake water. There are plenty of pet-friendly beaches, including an area at Ft. Desoto and Clearwater. Unlike Miami Beach, Tampa Bay beach areas run on a seasonal schedule—so to speak. The area has cold snaps. I think a lot of folks forget about the beach until March. Further, I suppose the cold snaps have kept the beachy areas from developing the charm that comes with frequent use. Personally, I long for South Beach. You don’t see the supermodels here and the Lincoln Road mall areas of South Beach are non-existence. The exception is Clearwater Beach, which feels like a bit like more a smaller version of Daytona Beach—minus the cars on the beach. Overall, the Tampa Bay area is a nice place in Florida in which to live. Good luck.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:23 PM

78 posts, read 185,647 times
Galactic, thank you for that excellent write up

Old 02-04-2010, 07:04 AM

214 posts, read 678,289 times
Illinois income tax is 3%, current governor Quinn is running for re-election and wants to raise that. City of Chicago will nickel and dime you but you can consider that a tax for living the city lifestyle. You might consider a suburb like Evanston that is within an easy commute to the city, although E-town has its own issues.

Sorry, back on topic!

Old 02-04-2010, 03:29 PM

9 posts, read 25,353 times
Ok, I just moved to St Pete from Chicago I have been here one month so far--and I am never ever going to consider to move to chicago ever again to be honest if it weren't for my friends I would not even visit. I love it here the weather is perfect the sun energizing, all the people are friendly people say hello and nod their head wherever you go. Now I quit my job got rid of all my stuff and put my two children clothes and food in the car and we left---we now have a very nice two bedroom two bath for two hundred and fifty dollars less than what we paid for a two bedroom one bath in Albany park! Parking is free, you get from one place to another very quickly nothing like chicago what so ever. You don't have to worry about tickets or meters, tons of cosignment shops mix of people as far as race. You are always going to have your handful of rich folk then everyone else.... The friut and veggies are much fresher taste better and seafood is dirt cheap! Crabs galore. Gas is 2.55 right now, the hustle and bussle has come to an end---did I mention beaches more beaches and more beaches! There are always going to be funky/bad areas whereever you go, just aviod them. If I can help with any questions let me know--this was the best move I have made in my life--well beside college and breastfeeding it comes third but still up there!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:52 PM

25 posts, read 102,826 times
Default job opportunity in clearwater - questions

After moving around for the last few years, a dream job opportunity has arisen in Clearwater. We are in St. Louis right now but before our move here I spent the last 18 years in South Florida. So, I'm familiar with the weather and what it's like to live in Florida in general. If I pursue this job, my son would be going to school in Tampa in the Hyde Park area. What would the commute be like from Tampa to Clearwater in the am and the reverse in the pm? Would this direction be against traffic? What would be the best route to make that drive? Google maps shows the Courtney Campbell Causeway as the best route. Any thoughts on that?

Also, I'd be looking to rent near the Hyde Park area. Can anyone provide any specific areas or streets that would be safe and friendly for us?

As great as the job sounds, I'm concerned that the commute would be prohibitive. I'm a full-time working single parent and I'm not trying to make my life any more stressful.

Would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

Old 02-28-2012, 05:55 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,212 times
It depends on where in the Clearwater area, since it is rather spread out.

If you are commuting right across the bay to the eastern part of Clearwater, it wouldn't be that bad. If you are headed to the NW Clearwater/Dunedin area from Hyde Park....ouch.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:33 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,385,548 times
hyde park in general is one of the more desirable areas of tampa. beautiful homes and condos down there. generally, you'll want to look for rentals south of kennedy and north of gandy to stay in the "nice" area of the city. as far as your commute, chi_tino is correct. it really depends on where exactly your office will be in clearwater. however, what people in tampa call traffic i call a slight inconvenience. they have no idea how easy they have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay