U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,620 times

Advertisements

I know that the infamous "cold snap" where the highs were in the 40s and such for two weeks was not typical, but I hear a lot of people complaining about how "horrid" this winter has been. Do they mean it's been OVERALL too cold? This is my first winter here and I think it's been PERFECT. I've had my windows open since November. I would hate to think that future winters are going to be hot (in the 80s) and that I should not expect high 60s/low 70s from November to April. Is it usually in the 80s all winter long???? PLEASE SAY NO!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 09:05 AM

96 posts, read 233,312 times
In addition to resident's recollections and opinions, we rely on precedent stats and climate info for the big picture, such as Average Weather for Tampa, FL - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 02-02-2010, 09:06 AM

4,556 posts, read 6,921,836 times
No, it's not. Except for the many days in a row we had with cool weather, the rest of the winters I have been here have been like this. Very nice!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:07 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,504,147 times
Yeah, this is a fairly normal Tampa winter. To be honest, and I know I'll sound like a wimp, but I actually think it's pretty cold at night. Then again, I've lived in Tampa my whole life. I think I would die up North. Or Georgia.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:04 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,545,482 times
They are probably referring to how closely the cold fronts have been spaced. In addition to this year bringing the sort of cold that's basically a 25ish year event around here, we also have had cold fronts come through what seems to me about twice as often as normal. That means more gloomy, grey days - and somehow the grey skies seem worse when accompanied by so much foliage die-back.

Usually Tampa winters feature a lot more clear blue skies and mild, comfortable days with a backdrop of swaying greenery.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:13 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,803,481 times
I agree with tilli...this has been an unusally GREY and wet winter.(thanks to El nino weather pattern according to our meteorologists).

Old 02-02-2010, 11:15 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,196,538 times
Its not so much the temps. We have had a lot more overcast days with rain then we normally get thanks to El Nino. People move down here to get away from that. Plus the cold snap kill all my tropical plants which have made me pretty mad. But beside the cold snap, the temps have been normal.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:29 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,269,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Yeah, this is a fairly normal Tampa winter. To be honest, and I know I'll sound like a wimp, but I actually think it's pretty cold at night. Then again, I've lived in Tampa my whole life. I think I would die up North. Or Georgia.

I'm a wimp too lol. I even had the heat on last night even though it probably wasn't needed but shoot, I got so cold going outside with the dogs I needed something warm to come back into.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:31 PM

357 posts, read 726,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by music009 View Post
I would hate to think that future winters are going to be hot (in the 80s) and that I should not expect high 60s/low 70s from November to April. Is it usually in the 80s all winter long???? PLEASE SAY NO!
Better get used to it. I can recall more often than not spending Christmas day in shorts with the AC running non-stop!
We normally get just a few real cold fronts each winter, and the rest of the time it is mild to warmish. I can only hope this cold cycle will linger longer and we can start enjoying longer winters each year.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:59 PM

4,192 posts, read 10,676,136 times
temp wise the winter has been pretty normal. Precipitation and cloud cover wise, this winter has been a lot more cloudy and wet than normal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or