U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 06:51 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,556,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphacoyle View Post
I remember watching an interview with a consultant the city brought in to address the issue of the downtown and he said that they've made it too easy to leave downtown with all the expressways out to the suburbs and that is bad because if people had to hang around downtown waiting for the traffic to thin out they'd be more apt to frequent the downtown. So as it is everyone leaves work and takes off, leaving the downtown shell.
That sounds like a great idea. Make the roads suck so bad that people would rather work late or go to dinner downtown than sit in traffic. Some of these consultants should be round up and shot execution style for their stupid ideas.

Quote:
Personally I'd add that it's surrounded by pretty thick ghetto and there's more of a danger risk downtown than in the burbs. I remember waiting for a bus downtown in the middle of the day and some dreadlocked guy smoking a crack laced joint right out in the open. Now that was before all the new development but still. I've been thinking of moving downtown as I like walking around and seeing the sites but just the chance of assault, robbery etc is so much higher that I can't justify it. I'm safe out here in the burbs, but I'd love to be able to walk from my place over to ybor/downtown etc.
Yes, rather than fix something they can (the ghetto/hood), they dream up stupid ways to waste money...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 07:04 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,096,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphacoyle View Post
I remember watching an interview with a consultant the city brought in to address the issue of the downtown and he said that they've made it too easy to leave downtown with all the expressways out to the suburbs and that is bad because if people had to hang around downtown waiting for the traffic to thin out they'd be more apt to frequent the downtown.
there are bad ideas, then there are flat-out stupid ones. this is the latter.

does he really think that's what people want to do? get stuck? have you ever been stuck somewhere waiting for traffic to die down? it's one of the most aggravating things in the world. i hope that guy is thrown out on the street.

how about tampa offers citizens some tantalizing nightlife choices in the downtown area so they, and bear with me because this is a radical idea, WANT to stick around.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:54 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,556,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
there are bad ideas, then there are flat-out stupid ones. this is the latter.

does he really think that's what people want to do? get stuck? have you ever been stuck somewhere waiting for traffic to die down? it's one of the most aggravating things in the world. i hope that guy is thrown out on the street.

how about tampa offers citizens some tantalizing nightlife choices in the downtown area so they, and bear with me because this is a radical idea, WANT to stick around.
How about Tampa police beat and batter the homeless like St. Pete Police do. It didnt take long for them to fix their homeless problem downtown. At least till the mayor started getting weak on them.

These problems like homeless and hood can be fixed. We just need politicians with backbone.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:17 PM

204 posts, read 465,388 times
I think the consultant was just giving the facts, not suggesting it. Like the study on what to do about weather problems: they said you could blow up the moon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay