U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:57 AM

86 posts, read 381,408 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are an alternative inter-racial couple with late teens and elementary school twins. We have an opportunity to relocate to the Tampa area. We have job opportunities at Town and Country Hospital and Tampa Memorial. We don't know anything about Tampa and need much information regarding the neighborhoods, schools, safety, culture, diversity, adult night life, and kid activities also. We don't want a very long commute to work but want to be in a hurricane safe zone. We are going to rent a home so we aren't stuck in a place that we don't like. So please give advice on good areas. How far apart are these hospitals from each other? We are currently in Ohio and live in a suburb outside of Cincinnati. We drive approx 45 min to work and would just like to be a little closer to our jobs when we relocate, 45 min turns into hours during rush hour traffic. we also don't want to be so far from entertainment...that's one of the problems we have now. HELP PLEASE
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 09:09 AM

523 posts, read 2,677,001 times
I would choose Town and Country as you would have Oldsmar and Citrus Park area to live in, Tampa Memorial is at least 45mins in Traffic.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:51 PM

So does anyone have any good advice on neighborhoods that dont require a ridiculous drive in to work for town and country hospital???? We really need a lot of advice here.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:05 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,273,819 times
Default Just know

that hurricane season starts today and goes to Nov. 1st. Any area can get hurricane damage......carrollwood is a nice area, there's lots to do in the Tampa area, clubs, Yabor City has lots of nightlife, but crime is in the area too. Schools are OK, not great but OK. Housing is plentiful, as taxes and HOI is pushing people out of here, I'm sure that there are plenty of places to rent. Salary wise, I'd say you probably make more in Ohio and things are not that much cheaper down here.

Good luck on your search

Old 06-01-2007, 03:22 PM

Question Oh No

We can handle wind and rain but I don't nec want to evacuating at every threat of a hurricane. So how bad is the bug and alligator problem in Tampa??? Are Lutz or Wesley Chapel far from downtown Tampa? also where are all the culturally diverse safe middle class neighborhoods?

Old 06-01-2007, 05:54 PM

192 posts, read 1,095,364 times
Hi:

Statistical odds of a hurricane striking Tampa in any given year?: just under one percent. Odds of getting attacked by an aligator in your lifetime down here?: even less than the chance of getting struck by a hurricane. Probability of seeing a cockroach scurry across your kitchen floor in the course of an average year?: oh well, at least they're not as fearsome as a hurricane.........(!)

I live in south Tampa, where Memorial Hospital is located, and the neighborhood is considered safe. My neighbors of 31 years are gay and I've heard nothing from them over the years that would indicate intolerance of any description and I get the sense that their situation in that regard would be considered typical.

Good luck in your search!

Tony

Old 06-01-2007, 06:16 PM

Unhappy Cockroaches!!!

YES I am afraid of bugs...esp roaches, ants, and mosquitos!!!!

Old 06-01-2007, 06:17 PM

I would rather see an alligator than a cockroach...LOL

Old 06-02-2007, 12:13 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,273,819 times
Default Palmetto Bugs

Ha, I gotta laugh........wait till you see our water bugs, called Palmetto bugs
some are as big as a small VW.......Ha, gotta laugh, especially at night if you don't spray the inside of your house usually in the kitchen where the water source is......turn on the light and see them scurry around the counter or floor. I'm sorry I got to laugh, cause if you don't like bugs, Oh my gawd, you'll have to get use to them and also FIRE ANTS, those little buggers hurt step in a mound and they run all over your feet, bite, bite and in awhile a little blister will form, hurts like the dickens and itch.

You won't see any gators in the middle of Tampa, some in the lakes, just don't get too close, stay away, don't feed and they won't bother you. If you have a dog, keep him in the house at night, better safe than sorry

Florida is different than any other state, we have mold, mildrew, bugs
hurricanes, a tropical storm just passed through here today, TS Barry and the news reports showing everyone getting storm prepared, batteries
water, gas, food, ply wood.........and this was just a little ole tropical storm
you will see, that once a storm is annouced, everyone runs to the grocery stores and empties the shelves, just something you get use to every year.
And if your in a flood zone, you HAVE To evacuate.

The joys of living in sunny Florida

Old 06-02-2007, 12:23 PM

Talking Im Buying A Cat

We have officially decided that Fla is where we are relocating...after reviewing all of the available hospital options for Phoenix, North Las Vegas, San Antonio, Salt Lake City and somplace in Louisiana...Fla came out on tops. I will get a cat for the bugs . So......can anyone offer advice on the best neighborhood schools? Are Branden and Riverview decent areas for our family? I want the twins to be able to live in a safe area with other children and I want our teenagers to have a social life also...teenagers can make life a living HELL when they are bored...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or