Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 06:28 PM

4 posts, read 7,095 times

Advertisements

What is Gulf Harbor really like ? Is this a desireable area for a young child? Tell me about the crime issues. I have been reading some posts that worry me. This is a major career move + relocating the family. We have secured a lease on a home in Gulf Harbor / Woodlans area with Gulf access. What are we "really" getting into - with this area. Schools ? I believe it is Richey Elementary. Is that a good one? Recommendations please. I appreciate your candid feedback.

PineappleSoup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 08:19 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
You really should come and take a look for yourself if possible. What one person thinks is OK someone else won't. I had a friend who lived there for a short time. He recently moved out.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:07 PM

849 posts, read 2,922,784 times
Gulf Harbors isn't too bad. The older area as soon as you enter the development is not all that great- further back (of course where the more expensive homes are) it is a lot nicer. I have always loved Gulf Harbors. I'd say it is pretty kid-friendly as well. Stay to the west of the Floramar/Topsail Dr. intersection.
Crime over there is typical for the neighborhood; some residential and auto burglaries (the residential ones are few and far between), and of course the domestic violence calls. If you want more info, check out the sheriff's office website: Subdivision Activity
I lived on Headsail (older street; kinda getting a bit nasty these days) a while back. I'd actually recommend you look into Sea Forest, it's got a lot of newer places popping up, and it's a lot nicer, IMO. Unless you can afford to live at the far west end of the development.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:13 AM

69 posts, read 243,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
I'd actually recommend you look into Sea Forest, it's got a lot of newer places popping up, and it's a lot nicer, IMO. Unless you can afford to live at the far west end of the development.
I'm buying a small home on a canal in Sea Forest. I don't have kids so I'm not too concerned about the schools but the area itself seems quite nice. You don't have to drive far to see some homes that are...less than desirable. But within the HOA itself, things are very well maintained. I've known two couples who live just a few houses away for more than five years and they were both primarily responsible for focusing my search in this area. They've had nothing but good things to say.

That said, I looked all around Gulf Harbors, Woodlands and Sea Forest. Gulf Harbors has some nice homes but generally speaking, I felt that area was the least desirable of the three. It looked like a lot of the homes were in disrepair. My impression was that many were occupied by renters or were unoccupied (probably in foreclosure).

Maybe I'm in for a rude awakening, but I don't think I have too much to be concerned about in Sea Forest with regard to crime.

Tipsy

Old 03-14-2010, 05:58 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger View Post
I'm buying a small home on a canal in Sea Forest. I don't have kids so I'm not too concerned about the schools but the area itself seems quite nice. You don't have to drive far to see some homes that are...less than desirable. But within the HOA itself, things are very well maintained. I've known two couples who live just a few houses away for more than five years and they were both primarily responsible for focusing my search in this area. They've had nothing but good things to say.

That said, I looked all around Gulf Harbors, Woodlands and Sea Forest. Gulf Harbors has some nice homes but generally speaking, I felt that area was the least desirable of the three. It looked like a lot of the homes were in disrepair. My impression was that many were occupied by renters or were unoccupied (probably in foreclosure).

Maybe I'm in for a rude awakening, but I don't think I have too much to be concerned about in Sea Forest with regard to crime.

Tipsy
Crime may not be that bad Sea Forest itself, but all of west Pasco is pretty bad with plenty of crime and drug dealers.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:30 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINEAPPLESOUP View Post
What is Gulf Harbor really like ? Is this a desireable area for a young child? Tell me about the crime issues. I have been reading some posts that worry me. This is a major career move + relocating the family. We have secured a lease on a home in Gulf Harbor / Woodlans area with Gulf access. What are we "really" getting into - with this area. Schools ? I believe it is Richey Elementary. Is that a good one? Recommendations please. I appreciate your candid feedback.

PineappleSoup
Gulf Harbors is a bit isolated as a nicer area since it's by the water. Once you leave the neighborhood the general area around is pretty trashy. The public schools over on that side are pretty average.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:56 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINEAPPLESOUP View Post

PineappleSoup
I sent you a DM but I'll add to the thread.

My DH and I have lived on and off in Sea Forest and Gulf Harbors for almost 20 years. Granted over the years the population has jumped so it is not the same as it once was...but I think no place is the same as it once was.

I can't help with the schools because I have no children but I can tell you about Gulf Harbors.

Gulf Harbors has the best waterfront in Pasco County with the farthest west canals closest to the Gulf, the deepest canals, no worries about tides, and it doesn't have the bug problems that the other 2 waterfront communities have.

Gulf Harbors is the oldest of the waterfront communities in Pasco but it was well planned on and is on the best water. You know the saying...location, location, location. Well, this is it. You can change your house but not your location.

I do know there are a lot of younger families who have moved into the neighborhood. It isn't as much the retirement community as it once was.

For those who say the area is trashy I ask where do you live? My DH and I have traveled the country for 3 1/2 years in our motor home and unfortunately most areas have deteriorated. I see no difference here than anywhere else with the same population.

Good luck. There are a lot of nice people in the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay