Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 09:52 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,173,629 times

Advertisements

95-year-old woman dies after crashing her car - St. Petersburg Times

With all due respect to those who may still be competent in driving but why is a 95 years old person is allowed to drive?

I think there should be an age limit or a re-testing of adults of that age.

I am sorry for the family but somebody should stop them at some age unless they prove they are fit to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 10:54 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,245,509 times
I coudn't agree with you moreeeee..........but this is a retirement state, so I'm guessing no one does anything about it since it is easier to let them die on their own accord!!!!!!!!! why prevent or protect the other citizens? right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
95-year-old woman dies after crashing her car - St. Petersburg Times

With all due respect to those who may still be competent in driving but why is a 95 years old person is allowed to drive?

I think there should be an age limit or a re-testing of adults of that age.

I am sorry for the family but somebody should stop them at some age unless they prove they are fit to drive.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:28 AM

4,091 posts, read 5,971,699 times
The elderly DEFINITELY need to be retested, every year after the age of 60. They should also make reasonable accommodations for those who don't pass (a senior bus system). Win/Win.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:48 AM

4,972 posts, read 7,156,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
The elderly DEFINITELY need to be retested, every year after the age of 60. They should also make reasonable accommodations for those who don't pass (a senior bus system). Win/Win.
I agree, but unfortunately, you're SOL in Tampa Bay if you don't drive.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:00 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,061,284 times
My older parents purchased bus passes when they came here for one month and found it very easy to navigate the county. They are from overseas and in their late 80s and it was not a problem. I think those of us who drive do not realize there is a pretty good system in Pinellas county.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:33 PM

329 posts, read 770,800 times
also testing for motor homes.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:51 PM

737 posts, read 2,578,080 times
My mother should have been tested on an annual basis since she turned 40! Harrowing events and after a few of those, I always drove her when I lived near her. Now, I'm not around but pray for others on the road; she is in her sixties now but apparently never learned how to merge. Scarey.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:17 PM

68 posts, read 257,514 times
While I agree 100% with yearly testing after say 65 years old, old people vote. It would be career suicide for a politician to introduce any legislation against senior citizens.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:02 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,313,207 times
"LONDON (Reuters) – Scientists have found specific genetic variants which may explain why some people age earlier than others..." ~~ Scientists find gene variant link to aging cells - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100209/sc_nm/us_ageing_genes_1 - broken link)

As even science finally recognizes the difference between chronological and physical age, that some age faster and slower than others, regardless of how many years they've been alive, then just maybe 95 really can be the new 87.

Besides, the article said "Hyer may have suffered a medical problem before the crash" and that could happen to anyone at any age. Saying people over a certain age must be tested based upon that would be like saying overweight people should be tested every year because they are more prone to having a stroke while driving.

I used to have a drunkard friend who complained that his reflexes are better than an old person's reflexes even when he's drunk (and probably there are studies that prove him right) so why are all the laws only directed at him. (It is a rhetorical question, by the way.)

A comedian on TV was joking how much more annoying baby boomers will get to be on the roads as they age than were their predecessors. Because before now, the people who got old weren't a bunch of old stoners. So if you think older drivers slowed you down before, you ain't seen nothin' yet

Old 02-13-2010, 11:44 PM

626 posts, read 1,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
My mother should have been tested on an annual basis since she turned 40! Harrowing events and after a few of those, I always drove her when I lived near her. Now, I'm not around but pray for others on the road; she is in her sixties now but apparently never learned how to merge. Scarey.
You know, responsibility lies within the family... if you know shes risking not only her life but others as well by driving, then your prayers arent helping but instead you should be stepping in to prevent something horrible from happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: