Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 07:13 AM

11 posts, read 55,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewlicious View Post
I'm a well-educated 47-year-old professional female, raised in Tampa. I'm also Jewish. Eleven years ago my husband and I decided to give Plant City a try. Oy, was I nervous - not a synagogue in sight and Confederate flags everywhere. I was thanking my lucky stars I wasn't here in the Fifties; it could have been a different story.

Meanwhile, I gave it a shot. Funny thing - and perhaps I'm just a creature of habit - but I learned to love it here. We've never had any problems with anyone. I worked in downtown Tampa for many years, and discovered that if I left my house around six-thirty every morning I pretty much missed the worst of the traffic. However, Town and Country is brutal with the traffic, at all times of the day/night, it seems.

True, there's a very high population of non-Jews but hey, if they can learn to get past my heritage, I guess I can as well.
Finally! A positive voice!

I recently had the chance to visit Plant City, and was PLEASANTLY surprised. There is a wonderful organic foods store there, I believe its called the Corner Store? Anyway, had an awesome dinner, bruschetta, feta cheese, goat cheese, a wonderful arugulla pizza. Everything was so fresh, delicious and reasonable. There was an excellent two piece (drums, bass, vocals) band playing called the Sunsetters.

After dinner, we walked downtown. There was a street fair going one. This area seems really big on motorcycle culture, as well as car culture. Saw a huge Fiero and Volkswagen car club group on Hwy 92 between Brandon and Plant City.

On my way back to my car, an 8 piece bluegrass band was playing. Young and old musicians, all enjoying playing and hanging out and enjoying the cool October evening.

This experience actually reminded me alot of the little neighborhoods I used to dine in and around when I lived in San Francisco.. right off of North Beach. Granted, its just the one downtown city street which only lasts say 4 or 5 blocks, but the food, the peeps, the music vibe.. it had that same feeling.

Plant City was a great time that night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 11:25 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
That's the first time I've ever heard of Plant City being compared to San Francisco!

Downtown Plant City isn't too bad, but some of the outlying areas don't do much for me. Actually, the eastern third of Hillsborough doesn't do much for me at all.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:00 PM

794 posts, read 1,860,786 times
Is this an old thread?

We chose Plant City over Tampa to get away from the overcrowding and traffic. We've been here 6 months and love it here. There is a rich wholesome farming culture here mixed in with new developments and gated communities. All the amenities are here and it is VERY family oriented with festivals, garden shows, antique fairs, street fairs, etc. I have not experienced any redneck attitude at all. I like that it is just 10 minutes from Brandon/Valrico and the shopping and Malls down there. It's 10 from Lakeland where there is more shopping. And we are 30-45 minutes to St. Pete. And we are NOT in an evacuation zone when a hurricane hits. We are actually one of the shelter areas for Tamp evacuations. There are some very nice secluded developments here with walking trails, lakes, dog parks, etc

Old 10-20-2010, 06:13 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
This can't be a serious question. The only people who live in Plant City are the people who were born there and don't know that other cities exist, or people who are EXTREMELY desperate for somewhere to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay