U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Single 24 year old male moving from Minneapolis to Florida, possibly Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater, Largo, Dunedin, would like 20-30 commute, seek information on night life, single scene

Old 05-30-2007, 01:29 PM

48 posts, read 228,933 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone - I'm a single 24-year old guy currently living in Minneapolis, but would like to move down to the area. I have visited St. Pete Beach the past two years and also went to Clearwater a few months ago. My cousin used to live in the area for 4 years and my uncle and aunt recently bought a condo in South Pasedena. They'll be living there for about six months out of the year.

Ideally, I would be transferred from my company here to an office we have in Oldsmar. I know that Oldsmar is on the northern fringe of the area, and I would like to have no further than a 20-30 minute ride to work each day. So far I'm thinking of Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater, Largo, and Dunedin. Can anyone out there give me the pluses/minuses of each city and some other ones I should consider? I'm willing to pay about $600-$900 for rent and would like to be about a 10-15 minute drive to the gulf. I'm really in the process of gathering information at this point (especially on what people are like down there and how many singles in their 20s are there), so any info would be great. Rent, nightlife, singles scene, people's personalities, and other information of that sort would be great. I know I have a lot of questions, so thanks in advance everyone!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 02:20 PM

169 posts, read 1,013,707 times
Default Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete for Singles

Hi Minneapolis,

The Tampa Florida area is an interesting place to be single and Oldsmar is a good place to work because it's pretty central to the tri-county (Pasco/Pinellas/Hillsborough) area.

I would recommend considering a condo or apartment in the Rocky Point area (zip is 33607), or in the Channelside area (zip is 33601) to be close to sports and regularly scheduled area attractions (concerts/theater/sports) and better shopping (Westshore and International Plaza).

There's a beach right off the Causeway (although it's not the beach everyone thinks of when they think of Tampa - That's Clearwater beach - about a 35 minute drive due west.) It's still an ok beach for a quick swim in the gulf/bay and for a pick up game of volleyball in the sand. You can rent jet skiis by the hour in the area too.

Quick few minutes on the expressway, due west down hillsborough avenue and your in Oldsmar in 20 minutes.

If you're certain that it's worth it to you to be near the beach - expect apartments to be older, smaller and more expensive. Clearwater beach has some condos for rent at the moment because of the market here but you'll easily have a 40-50 minute drive to work in the morning. But a run on THAT beach is wonderful and there are some great clubs/bars to hang out in (Frenchy's for starts) and my teenage daughter likes to go to the beach quite a bit with her friends.

Clearwater zips to consider when you're looking on line for an apartment would be 33767 and 33756.

St. Petersburg is wonderful too and has it's own distinct personality - but North of Central Ave. is a definate safety consideration. There are great restaurants, the Devil Rays (bring baseball Karma with you when you come, we need it here!) 33701 is the zip you want but keep Streets run North/South and Avenues run East/West. East of 75 is where downtown is located and that's where the fun stuff is. Of the addresses you're considering make sure they have an "N" in the Ave. or Street (ex 22nd Ave. N or 19th Street N.) and you'll be OK (not in the crime ridden section).
Most of the good restaurants are East of 75 but there are a number of good ones West too but the closer you get to downtown and the Pier (which is overrated) the more fun stuff there is to do.

A good general website to get to know the area is TBO Tampa Bay Online. Breaking News, weather, sports and things to do

Newspapers in the area are the St. Petersburg Times and the Tampa Tribune.

Good luck with your move and welcome to the area!

Last edited by Yac; 05-31-2007 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: advertising not allowed

Old 05-30-2007, 02:48 PM

4,556 posts, read 6,923,646 times
There are all kinds of apartments in Oldsmar to live and work, that is the slogan for Oldsmar, A great place to live and work.
Here's a link to the services from the city of Oldsmar.
Welcome to the City Of Oldsmar! (http://ci.oldsmar.fl.us/index.htm - broken link)
Let me know if you need any more info, I live in Oldsmar.
I am Not a realtor.
Annie

Old 05-30-2007, 02:57 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,804,371 times
If you want to be 10-15 minutes form the Gulf, Id suggest living in Pinellas County, check Craigslist.com for private condos/townhomes for rent.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:03 AM

48 posts, read 228,933 times
Thanks everyone, your posts have helped a lot already. I’ve gone onto Craig’s List and reviewed what types of apartments/condos are available in my price range. Now, I’m looking for more information on the people and singles scene. Where are some good places to live that have a lot of singles in their 20s? And what are people like overall within these areas? Again, any help is appreciated...thanks!

Old 06-01-2007, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 5,766 times
I've lived in Clearwater most of my life. In my 20's it was hard to find places to meet other singles. Not sure it's changed that much. Clearwater Beach is popular on weekends; there are bars and restaurants and Pier 60. People come to tan and swim and do water sports; it's laid back, casual. There are outdoor art festivals on many weekends, or other events, all around the county.

My 20-something niece lives in Tampa and it's more cosmopolitan there. Probably a lot more to do for younger, single people than Pinellas county can offer. Channelside, downtown, professional sports, concerts, that sort of thing. There's Centro Ybor in Ybor City that seems to draw a lot of young singles to bars, restaurants and galleries, but it can be unsafe in some areas. Rocky Point and the nearby 'beach' on the Courtney Campbell Causeway also get loads of people on weekends...can't say what they're like, but there have been problems with drag racing there. Some areas of Tampa are not safe at all, like any big city.

Remember that this area has been a retirement mecca for a long time, and Pinellas has a large number of retirees. There has never been a lot to do here for the younger generations, but it depends a lot on what you like to do. If you like hanging out at the beach, boating, jetskiing, beach bars, etc, you'll like many beaches in Pinellas county or at Rocky Point just outside of Tampa. But if you like more upscale entertainment I think you'd like Tampa better. Of course you can do both, it just means driving around a lot. Have to get used to that here anyway! Pick a central location and try everything. Good luck!

Old 06-01-2007, 09:39 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,804,371 times
If it were me, I would find a msall studio or 1bdrm in South Tampa(check craigslist.com for private rentals in your price range) near Hyde Park, Davis Islands, Plama Ceia areas. About a 30 min commute to Oldsmar and the Gulf Beaches, but you would have Tampa nightlife and singles scene, sports, concerts, Tampa events and festivals in your back yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or