U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:10 AM

3,381 posts, read 8,716,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucat78 View Post
What is your source for asserting the rigs would be 100 miles offshore?

Again, I'm using my experience in southern California, but you can clearly see the rigs and they are maybe (yes, I'm guestimating) 1 to 2 miles offshore. You can't see the support pillars but you can certainly see the platforms and the superstructures. Lights are also clearly visible at night.

(BTW, we have wind farms in northern Illinois and while cool looking, they have not helped ease unemployment as far as I know.)

Eh, the should put up a big screen that look like the horizon on the side of the rig that faces the beach. This would help hide it some and make it less of an eyesore. lol Hey man, thank your Senators and Congress men for not allowing the US to open ANWR in Alaska. Had it been opened, they may have been able to stifle drilling on your coast for awhile. But hey, better to not drill in a place that is not in Water and in a place which has been seen by less than 10,000 people on this planet. Instead lets drill in water where spills can do more damage and do it where millions can see.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 02:40 PM

4,400 posts, read 6,503,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltznucs View Post
This is not true, in fact its quite the opposite. The Louisiana and Texas coast boast of far healthier fish populations. Why? Each and every one of those oil rigs acts like an artificial reef. As a result the commercial and recreational fisheries in those states are now surpassing Florida.

Dont get me wrong, I dont like seeing the rigs from the beach and I think alternative energy should be explored. But in the meantime, if theres a domestic energy source that will bridge the gap between now and the future then it should be explored.
Ah yes- Lake Charles, Louisiana and Galveston, Texas. A fisherman's paradise.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay