U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:30 PM

427 posts, read 1,051,806 times

Advertisements

After reading numerous threads in the Florida forum about the proposed offshore drilling, I've come to my verdict. I say yes to it for at least this reason, they're neat looking! Come on, I can't be the only one who thinks so.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 07:52 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,139,143 times
How cool is that (and all the pretty colors in the water, neato!)

Old 02-19-2010, 07:42 AM

46 posts, read 120,099 times
that picture pretty much sums it up

Old 02-19-2010, 07:52 AM

627 posts, read 1,285,131 times
uhhh yeah "neat" is definitely not the word that comes to mind

Old 02-19-2010, 08:03 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,747,749 times
THIS would destroy our marine life and beaches.................it would be HORRIBLE, why not use that money to find something else to power our cars with........but wait, I know why we can't do that....what else would we be picking up wars with if not for OIL!!!!!!!!!!!! grow up! with as much technology as we have it is a shame we STILL use gas for our cars! JMO!

Tampa doesn't need off shore drilling........

Old 02-19-2010, 09:30 AM

214 posts, read 647,539 times
Having seen the offshore rigs in Southern California and refineries situated virtually on the beach, I'd say it's a very bad thing.

But look at it like this, San Onofre has a nuclear generating plant right on the beach. (Not that I'm against nukes, it's just...)

Old 02-19-2010, 10:32 AM

3,381 posts, read 8,694,807 times
Oh boy, here we go.... I;m going to get flamed but here goes. Is oil bad for the environment? Yes, of course it is. Are there other alternatives? Yes. Are they viable and affordable alternatives? At this point, no not really. Look, as you guys know I am from Alaska. As I hope you all know, Alaska supplies the U.S. with a substantial amount of oil which is drilled in the Arctic in environmentally sensitive area. And this is where the great debate comes in. People think that because its Alaska and its in the arctic this area should be left alone and not touched.

Well frankly, I say.....screw off. The oil companies that have wells on the North Slope spend millions upon millions of dollars and countless resources to protect the environment there. Many studies of the Arctic are done in this area and is often used as a base camp since facilities exist. I know several people that work up on the Slope and the top 2 things the talk about when returning to town from their hitch is safety and the environment. There are a large number of workers there whose sole responsibility is to respond to any incident that may harm the environment and they do a good job. Do spills happen? Yes, of course they do. A valve or pipe my fail, causing a small spill to happen which the cleanup quickly, efficiently and effectively. AH HA.... see thats the issue right there though. These wells are on land. If a spill happens, it is on land it is not in the ocean. Obviously, oil spreads further in water, impacts the environment more and kills marine life (Valdez Oil Spill....still remember that sad, sad day).

So this is what I think Drill the Arctic, drill ANWR. Do not continue to do offshore drilling. Oil in water is a complete nightmare, is impossible to clean all of it up and is not worth the risks to marine life. Also, why are there not Booms around the picture of that rig to ensure any leaking oil does not get spread out in the water?

Old 02-19-2010, 10:47 AM

18,475 posts, read 39,235,526 times
If Floridians want to make good money in the oil industry they'll have to drive all the way to Louisiana and Texas to go to work, my Dad and my partner have to do this every two weeks. The state of Florida just doesn't realize how much revenue they are losing because of this silly drilling ban.

If oil spills were that common the whole Texas coast would be covered in oil, and it ISN'T!

Old 02-19-2010, 11:16 AM

329 posts, read 734,699 times
it's about off shore drilling,not about war for oil debate. like most things on here some body asks about the price of milk and it turns into you will be attacked by thugs on the way to the store but you deserved it cause you live in a trailer. and on and on. other than that i agree with not drilling,

Old 02-19-2010, 11:30 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,139,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
So this is what I think Drill the Arctic, drill ANWR. Do not continue to do offshore drilling. Oil in water is a complete nightmare, is impossible to clean all of it up and is not worth the risks to marine life. Also, why are there not Booms around the picture of that rig to ensure any leaking oil does not get spread out in the water?
I also don't have a huge problem with Arctic drilling but not that I know enough about it. I just have a silly idea in my head that any spillage there would just freeze. Crude cubes. How hard could it be to clean that up?

I think none of us will ever forget Valdez. It must have been difficult to witness that in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If Floridians want to make good money in the oil industry they'll have to drive all the way to Louisiana and Texas to go to work, my Dad and my partner have to do this every two weeks. The state of Florida just doesn't realize how much revenue they are losing because of this silly drilling ban.

If oil spills were that common the whole Texas coast would be covered in oil, and it ISN'T!
Agreed it probably isn't common, but their economies are not as dependent upon their beaches as is Florida's.

VISIT FLORIDA - Partnership for Florida's Tourism (http://www.floridastourismcounts.org/faq.asp - broken link)

In 2006, Florida’s tourism industry generated more than $3.9 billion in sales tax revenues to the state, which contributed to 18 percent of the state’s tax base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay