U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,447 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I bought a house from M/I Homes in a neighborhood in Trinity that was completed a few years ago. Construction on my home began in 2004 and was completed in 2005. Since I have moved into this house in July of 05' I have had a laundry list of appliances mysteriously break. During the Summer there is a strange smell that is a cross between urine and eggs that comes around and is not present during the Winter.

The following items have broken in the house since moving in:
-Gas water heater electric temperature control
-Upstairs A/C unit broke a while ago (not sure what was replaced)
-52" RCA TV - Living room
-42" Panasonic LCD TV - upstairs game room
-Surround sound speakers in the ceiling (living room and game room)
-Multiple fire alarms (downstairs and upstairs)
-Refrigerator
-Washing machine
-Dryer
-Doorbell (twice)
-Light switches and dimmers
-Multiple routers
-Gas fireplace (electric starter no longer works)
-Microwave and deep fryer (not broken but losing strength)

I have been advised by friends that I may have Chinese drywall in my home. I've looked at electrical outlets, mirrors, and A/C evaporator coils. I checked about 10 of about 100 outlets in the house and found some grayish/black spots but nothing too substantial. The mirrors in the bathrooms are glued to the walls and are black along all of the edges (about a quarter inch deep in some areas) and black specs have developed around the center. Light fixtures above the mirror have minor pitting and black scratches and specs on them. The strange thing about that is nothing has been done to them to be scratched.

The house has two air conditioners and both of the units evaporator coils are heavily corroded and rusted (way too much for their age, I'm shocked they still work). On the 2nd floor unit there are areas of black/gray material where there shouldn't be (non-weld spots) but the coils are not completely black as some pictures show on the net. A large portion of a group of copper wires running through the inside are black. The unit in the garage is about the same.

After examining photos from the construction, I have determined that there are at least 7 different brands of drywall that were used, four of which are American companies. Temple Inland, ProRoc, SagCheck, and Waterdeck (or Waterbeck) are the brands that I could I identify. On the other drywall boards that I saw I could not make out labeling and some did not have any markings on them. I haven't had the time to go into the attic however I took out the drywall covering one of the attic holes and discovered a series of numbers on it along with the word Asian clearly printed in all caps.

My friend's house built by Lennar in a neighborhood down the road is confirmed to have Chinese drywall. He informed me that out of all the outlets in his house 3 had blackened copper wires and his A/C unit broke. His inspector suspects that out of about 130 sheets of drywall only 5-10 are Chinese.

I have an M/I inspector coming on the 4th of March and am working on finding a reputable inspector to hire myself before M/I comes and does their usual shoddy inspections. Your sentiments on the situation?

Last edited by zooglah; 02-19-2010 at 11:56 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 12:54 PM

5 posts, read 10,148 times
Wow! I am so sorry about your nightmare. Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a detailed report of your Chinese drywall experience. Our family is being transfered to FL, and we've been looking in Trinity, specifically a floor plan of Lennar/US Homes. How extensive is the issue in the neighborhoods? Are these randomly scattered homes being effected or are there some neighborhoods entirely we should stay away from? I asked my Realtor and he said there is no issue in Trinity. I would appreciate any advice you have it seems its hard to find. Can you recommend a good Inspection co?
I am really curious for an update on your situation, as well. Thank you so much, Christina

Old 08-28-2010, 08:32 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,943,568 times
This is interesting.

We are also looking in this area and hope you follow up and let us know what you find.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:05 AM

265 posts, read 890,075 times
As a Chinese Drywall victim who underwent remediation, I'll say that you should have your home tested. The builder can do this, dont hire some bozo claiming to be certified. There is no such thing as a "CDW Inspector". The signs of CDW are painfully obvious and AC malfunctions are the common thread. You've only had one, I went through 4 AC units in less than 2 years. If the copper coil or copper pipes in and out of the AC are black in color then you have reason to worry. Again the word is black, if there is rust or blue coloring this is perfectly normal for copper AC coils.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:07 PM

13,772 posts, read 35,131,111 times
check out this thread it may help since the OP never returned

Chinese Drywall concerns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay