Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 06:45 PM

4 posts, read 4,796 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I'm excited about moving to Tampa (no more snow!). I'll be starting my new internship (paid) as a new veterinarian in mid-June, so I'll be needing to move in early June.

However, I'm a little confused as to where I can live and where I SHOULD live. I've scoured postings online, and am kind of overwhelmed with the choices.

I'll be splitting my time between two locations, one in Town N Country and one on Hillsborough Blvd in Central Tampa. I have no idea how long it takes to get from place to place, and I need to ideally get to each location equidistantly. However, I am willing to drive a little further if it means living somewhere nicer!

The catch is that I'm on a tight budget as a new grad (veterinarian) and on an intern's salary. My max rent budget is around $800 a month (not including utilities). I have a cat, and I would ideally like somewhere SAFE above all, though in-apartment laundry would also be amazing. Of course, the nicer the place the better! I have been looking at apartment communities all over the place, but I don't know what I can swing in terms of commute time. I plan to visit but not until late April/early May so I'm kind of going about this blindly.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions? I've been asking around but getting vague responses mostly. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 08:58 PM

I'm 26, and living by myself. I see other threads from people with similar situations, and I realize the downtown area is where it's at! However, does anyone have an idea of how long the commute would be to these two locations?
Also, this would only be a year-long rental; after that, I'm outta here!

Does anyone have any resources they would like to share?

Thanks

Old 02-28-2010, 02:12 AM

371 posts, read 1,191,120 times
I wish I could help with the info you've asked for, but I do not know about commute times and such.

However, I have been seeing some interesting apartments in the South Tampa area that might fit what you are looking for being a single person w/ no kids, on a budget. These apartments are in former single family homes that have been renovated into 2 apartments. Nicer Bungalow type houses. Some are in very desireable areas! Walking distance to restaurants, shopping and local nightlife. I've been searching for single family homes but those apts. were nice and unique enough that they caught my eye. I search a bunch of different sites so I can't recall specifically where I'd seen the listings, but it sounds like you've got some time before heading down there so you can start searching the online listings and hopefully find something great.

I've also seen listings for apt. and house shares for single professionals in the South Tampa area. Not sure if that's an option for you, but it's out there.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:46 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
Hillsborough avenue is a slow commute at any given time, after you pass Dale Mabry going east it gets worst....it could take you 45 minutes sometimes to get from T&C to the other side...it has a million stop lights too and people who have no idea how to drive....you would probably want to stay in T&C just to be closer, and not have to drive somewhere else out of your way on top of that.....there are some new apartments being built on Hillsborough ave and Veterans hwy that would work for you well commute wise, I don't know their names but maybe some of the realtors here do and can tell you....

Old 02-28-2010, 07:10 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.V2010 View Post
Hi folks,

I'm excited about moving to Tampa (no more snow!). I'll be starting my new internship (paid) as a new veterinarian in mid-June, so I'll be needing to move in early June.

However, I'm a little confused as to where I can live and where I SHOULD live. I've scoured postings online, and am kind of overwhelmed with the choices.

I'll be splitting my time between two locations, one in Town N Country and one on Hillsborough Blvd in Central Tampa. I have no idea how long it takes to get from place to place, and I need to ideally get to each location equidistantly. However, I am willing to drive a little further if it means living somewhere nicer!

The catch is that I'm on a tight budget as a new grad (veterinarian) and on an intern's salary. My max rent budget is around $800 a month (not including utilities). I have a cat, and I would ideally like somewhere SAFE above all, though in-apartment laundry would also be amazing. Of course, the nicer the place the better! I have been looking at apartment communities all over the place, but I don't know what I can swing in terms of commute time. I plan to visit but not until late April/early May so I'm kind of going about this blindly.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions? I've been asking around but getting vague responses mostly. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Since Tampa is just a 12 month stint for you, it prob doesnt matter where you live and being close to work locations and reletively safe might be most important??
The Westshore District might be a good location, there are apertments and condos in the area around Westshore Plaza which you could find for about $800/month. Another area to look at is Carrollwood, and also the apartments in town n Country area along the Bay, and lastly Rocky Point area near the airport. All those areas would be a good location commute wise for Hillsborough Avenue work locations you speak of.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:48 PM

Thank you both so much! This is the kind of thing I was looking for. Yes, it might be fun to live in South Tampa in the nicer area of downtown, but realistically in terms of rent/affordability and commute time, I don't want to make a wrong choice. It is only 12 months, and I'm sure I'll have time to get to have some fun downtown...right?

If I did end up in the Westchase, Carrollwood, or Rocky Point areas, do you have any suggestions which communities are nice? I can't necessarily trust what I see online, and after reading reviews at apartmentratings.com I'm terrified of what I might find!

Thank you to you both!

Old 02-28-2010, 03:55 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.V2010 View Post
Thank you both so much! This is the kind of thing I was looking for. Yes, it might be fun to live in South Tampa in the nicer area of downtown, but realistically in terms of rent/affordability and commute time, I don't want to make a wrong choice. It is only 12 months, and I'm sure I'll have time to get to have some fun downtown...right?

If I did end up in the Westchase, Carrollwood, or Rocky Point areas, do you have any suggestions which communities are nice? I can't necessarily trust what I see online, and after reading reviews at apartmentratings.com I'm terrified of what I might find!

Thank you to you both!
Find some places that appeal to you and let us know, we can tell you from what we know first hand regarding location and the apartments themselves. You cant really go buy the apratmentfinders book because those that love living there prob dont go on liner to the site...FYI.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:15 PM

20 posts, read 122,608 times
Default Rocky Point Apartments

I have lived at Rocky Point for about six months now, and I think it is a great choice. It is gated, and feels very safe. Easy drive to downtown, South Tampa, Town & Country. Hillsborough is a long road, so I can't tell you what your driving time would be, but I work near the corner of Dale Mabry and Hillsborough and my commute time is about 15 minutes.

You can get a nice (not huge) one bedroom here for under $800, or share a 2 bedroom with a roommate. It is a pretty young community, 20's and 30's professionals. Laundry hookups are available, but washer/dryer not included.

I have lived in Tampa for 2 1/2 years now, and Rocky Point is the first place I would recommend to any young professional looking for an apartment. If you have more questions, or would like to check out the place when you visit Tampa this spring, let me know!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
Find some places that appeal to you and let us know, we can tell you from what we know first hand regarding location and the apartments themselves. You cant really go buy the apratmentfinders book because those that love living there prob dont go on liner to the site...FYI.
Some places that *seem* to be affordable to me that I may consider include:

Island Walk
Grande Oasis at Carrollwood
Citrus Falls
Quarter at Ybor
Camden Westshore, Bay Pointe, or Bay
Regency at Westshore
Gallery at Bayport II
Westwood Reserve
The Preserve at Westchase
Rocky Creek Apartments
Bridgeview Apartments
Tuscany Bay
Lake Pointe

I would love to say I can afford the Post properties, but I don't know...it depends on their requirements and their specials at the time. I would love to live in Post Rocky Point, though -- thank you, CJaneRN for the referral. It's good to know someone here can vouch for them!

Old 03-01-2010, 07:30 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Depending on where the vet is in TnC can also make a difference in commute time. If it is on Memorial HWY then coming from Westchase or Citrus Park is going to be a slow commute during rush hour. Rocky Point is a good choice because you would be going against the traffic at rush hour. You are right on the bay too!

Carrollwood or S. Tampa might not be too bad depending on where you will be going on Hillsborough. Stay North of Gandy or NOG.. in S. Tampa.

I wouldn't recommend Ybor CIty unless you want to be close to a party area. Being new in town I don't think I would recommend moving there.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-01-2010 at 04:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay