U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:27 AM

9 posts, read 18,669 times

Advertisements

I am in Roanoke, VA, I'm young, married and an independent insurance agent - my wife is a teacher. Our jobs give us the ability to live almost anywhere in the country.

Lately we have been looking at the Tampa area, more specifically Clearwater and Dunedin. We, like most people, want to escape the cold and live somewhere with a little more to offer.

I am curious though, for those who moved from the north, does the hot weather get old? In the north we obviously have seasons and by the end of summer most people look forward to the fall and in the winter can't wait for the warm weather again.What are your opinions on the constant muggy weather?

Also in the North we have to ability to jump from state to state in just a few hours time visiting many different cities. It seems that in FL your more "land locked" and lack the ability to leave the state by car unless you can handle the constant 8+ hour trips.. Just curious if anyone gets a "trapped" feeling because of this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 07:56 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,548,364 times
From my experience, the weather itself isn't the issue-- it gets as hot and muggy in the coastal Carolinas as it does here. It's the duration of the weather. By the end of September, even those of us who've lived in FL most of our lives are ready to move past 95 degree days.

OTOH, you get used to it. You still complain, but you get used to it. And since you only wear them for a few weeks each year (well, most years anyway), those really cool winter sweaters will last you for AGES. <g>

As for road trips...yes and no. I get tired of looking at Florida. From Pinellas, it's about 5 hours to Tallahassee, about the same (maybe less) to Jacksonville. I know people who do it in slightly less, but I drive state roads rather than the interstate, and do the speed limit. The good news is that Florida has a wide variety of topography depending on which part of the state you're in. The bad news is...yeah, you get to feeling like a seven-year-old: "are we out of Florida yet?"

The school systems are probably going to be hiring again because of the class size amendment, so your wife will be in better shape than she would have been last year or two years ago when everyone was laying off or freezing personnel. But you'll still want something in hand before you get here, or a whole bunch of savings to rely on.

Good luck to you!

Old 02-23-2010, 09:44 AM

3,380 posts, read 8,213,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noke Star View Post
I am in Roanoke, VA, I'm young, married and an independent insurance agent - my wife is a teacher. Our jobs give us the ability to live almost anywhere in the country.

Lately we have been looking at the Tampa area, more specifically Clearwater and Dunedin. We, like most people, want to escape the cold and live somewhere with a little more to offer.

I am curious though, for those who moved from the north, does the hot weather get old? In the north we obviously have seasons and by the end of summer most people look forward to the fall and in the winter can't wait for the warm weather again.What are your opinions on the constant muggy weather?

Also in the North we have to ability to jump from state to state in just a few hours time visiting many different cities. It seems that in FL your more "land locked" and lack the ability to leave the state by car unless you can handle the constant 8+ hour trips.. Just curious if anyone gets a "trapped" feeling because of this?

Thanks!
My experience from moving around has been. Once you have a job and you are back in the rat race every city is pretty similar. You still have to wait at traffic lights, deal with traffic wait in line at a Subway that looks just like the one in your old home town, deal with a barista at Starbuck who screws up your order, help out the Senior in the parking lot load their groceries, etc. Its during the long weekends and vacations that one can really enjoy what a city and the surrounding area has to offer.

I really can't help you out on the who landlocked situation. I understand where your though process is coming from. But considering Florida would be a huge improvement as for access to other states, I am not going to comment.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:47 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,154,032 times
Quote:
it gets old but it doesn't go away, if you like having 4 seasons, you may not like it hot most of the year! JMO

Old 02-23-2010, 10:14 AM

334 posts, read 1,025,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noke Star View Post
I've never really felt trapped here. While it's a long drive to other states, the state itself is much more diverse than the small ones in the NE. Our four major cities, Miami, Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville, all are very different culturally, and all are worth exploring. Throw in other various places like Ocala (rolling hills and horses), the Keys, the Panhandle (very southern), and there's plenty to do. Just because it's in the same state doesn't mean it's not very different from home.

As for the weather, some people handle it better than others. Most people adjust. It's not necessarily any hotter than the rest of the country, it just lasts longer. Our winters are like fall up north.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:34 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,154,032 times
Quote:
Again, this is a matter of personal preference, I do feel VERY TRAPPED, our family lives upstate NY and for us it is an 18 hour trip, the closest mountains (or real hills) are 10 hours away.......Florida gets old, especially if you are from a place where you have the 4 seasons and also the ability to travel to other states within a few hours.....I lived in Europe most of my life so yes, as far as I am concerned Florida is a beach every 4 hours! of course there are people who disagree, they do however need to understand that not everyone was born and raised here and likes this lifestyle....here you bounce between chains on top of chains, then beaches then theme parks and more chains....very little diversity, IMO, for others it is more than they'll ever need...we are looking to find a more divers place.....but if I was already living up north, no cold weather would move me down here.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:49 AM

9 posts, read 18,669 times
Default I appreciate the quick responses!

Come to think of it I was in the Airforce 6 years ago and was stationed just outside of San Francisco, California. There I never felt "landlocked" and hardly ever left the state unless I was going to the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe. So it was kind of silly question on my part but it was too early for me to think back to my military days . Every city was completely different from SF, to Sac, to LA and SD so I see what your saying. Of course there's more from an outdoor stand point as that crazy state has Redwood Forests, Oceans that crash into the mountains, snow covered mountains, deserts and tropics.

The weather was always changing though, it was dry and hot in the summer, cool at night always, even in the summer, and rained from Nov. - March! When I say rain I don't mean 3-4 o'clock thunderstorms I mean 5 days a week it didn't stop. But then in the summer you don't see a rain drop for 7 month which was nice until wild fires break out.

My wife hates the cold and would love to live somewhere warm. We have looked heavily at Charleston, SC but Charleston you don't quit get away from the cold in the winter and although beautiful, it's still a pretty small beach town without much commerce and/or industry. That is why I have become highly interested in Tampa, here I can bring her to the hot weather beach but still have a large city to work in.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:27 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,782,536 times
Its a personal preference, but I never felt "land locked" in Florida(I am originally from NY), as there is so much to explore, on the west coast alone from Cedar Key, Ocala, Gainesville, Dade City, Tarpon Springs, Anna Maria Island, Myakka, Sarasota, Fort Myers, Naples, Everglades and Florida Keys...to the East Coast and Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm, Cocoa, Daytona, St. Augustine, Jacksonville, Orlando and everywhere else in between..Florida is a BIG state, but never felt "trapped".

As far as the weather, again another personal preference, as some have said, it desont get any hotter here than elsewhere on the east coast, just lasts alot longer...and yes, in the winters in Florida, I cant WAIT till summer...im an outdoors and water guy, and like the hot weather!!

Old 02-23-2010, 03:56 PM

4,322 posts, read 5,991,826 times
This is my opinion-I moved from the Midwest as a kid almost 35 years ago. When I was a teen, the weather didn't bother me too much-I did a lot of water skiing and all my jobs were indoors-but having an adult outdoor job soured me on the heat and humidity fast. It's just never changing for nine months. Not much to measure time with like there is with a seasonal change. Quite depressing. I suppose if you can spend your days inside, it wouldn't effect you. To me, Florida's weather is as extreme as Buffalo's, only 180 degrees apart, it must be my tough Northern European stock that makes me enjoy cold weather. An old saying is Florida has two types of weather-hot and not as hot. But to each their own, many people enjoy it.
Yes, it does take 4,5 or more hours to get out of the state from Tampa Bay. Sometimes it can take an hour just to get to the other side of Tampa.
Like I said, this is just my opinion-come on down and see if Florida agrees with you.

Last edited by vaughanwilliams; 02-23-2010 at 04:18 PM..

Old 02-24-2010, 10:30 AM

3,380 posts, read 8,213,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Yes, it does take 4,5 or more hours to get out of the state from Tampa Bay. Sometimes it can take an hour just to get to the other side of Tampa.
Like I said, this is just my opinion-come on down and see if Florida agrees with you.

I personally can;t wait to move. It takes me 7+ hours just to get to the next largest city in the state....50,000 people. And although the drive is absolutely beautiful there's not much of anything along the way... including bathrooms, especially during winter. People that live on the East Coast have to understand that one of the best things about living in that region is that everything is close together, its awesome and I was amazed by it when I visited DC and NYC. I suppose those of us from the West Coast (Excluding SO CAL) are somewhat used to having to drive a moderate distance to visit a large town. And really, why drive out of Florida? Have that much desire to visit Alabama or GA? lol Heck, according to Google Maps, Atlanta is about 7 hours away. That's not too bad.... and I bet there are several bathrooms along the way. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay