U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 10:31 AM

14 posts, read 29,248 times

Advertisements

Hello and thanks for any help....

I've been reading some of the threads about Tampa, but need a little advice.

I'm 40 something, single, and looking at the possibility of relocating to Tampa. I am looking at some of the condo offerings but I need some practical advice from one who lives in Tampa and really knows the area.

Please give your opinions:

1. A condo that is centrally located (I'm an RN, so probably will need to stay in Tampa to find work), safe, a bit upscale (2/2 225-250K range).

2. Which areas would you suggest. I've read about SoHo, Hyde Park, but I'm not sure which other spots would be a good choice.

3. Any other info about living in Tampa.

Than you soooo much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,258 times
I have lived in Tampa for over 28 yrs now. Soho and Hyde Park are up and comming but at one time were not a nice area. Depending on how upscale you want to live, Westchase, and Carrollwood are nice areas, as is New Tampa. I would suggest the first two to be close to hospitals (if thats where you plan to work) just north of carrollwood is the brand new St. Joseph Hospital North only opened 1 month ago or so. Also close to both is St. Joseph Hospital and Carrollwood University Hospital. The only hospitals I know of near New Tampa are University, and possibly the V.A. Hospital. Hope this helps, if you would like I can help find some condo's either for sale or rent in these areas, send you pics ect.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:45 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,796,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer777 View Post
Hello and thanks for any help....

I've been reading some of the threads about Tampa, but need a little advice.

I'm 40 something, single, and looking at the possibility of relocating to Tampa. I am looking at some of the condo offerings but I need some practical advice from one who lives in Tampa and really knows the area.

Please give your opinions:

1. A condo that is centrally located (I'm an RN, so probably will need to stay in Tampa to find work), safe, a bit upscale (2/2 225-250K range).

2. Which areas would you suggest. I've read about SoHo, Hyde Park, but I'm not sure which other spots would be a good choice.

3. Any other info about living in Tampa.

Than you soooo much!
SoHo, Hyde Park, Harbour Island, Davis Islands, Westshore District, all pretty central areas. Anything else besides being ina central location and a 2/2 around 250k important to you?

Old 02-28-2010, 06:33 AM

Default Tampa condo's

Thanks for your help!

SAFETY is critical. I have read that some places are nice and a block away it is sketchy. I'm single, so I need to feel that the area is OK. BTW, is the unemployment rate as bad in Tampa as it seems it is in the other areas of Fla.? I understand that tourism is the #1 draw and the recession has hit Fla. very hard.

Any other info re: living in Tampa would be much appreciated...

Cheers!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:05 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,796,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer777 View Post
Thanks for your help!

SAFETY is critical. I have read that some places are nice and a block away it is sketchy. I'm single, so I need to feel that the area is OK. BTW, is the unemployment rate as bad in Tampa as it seems it is in the other areas of Fla.? I understand that tourism is the #1 draw and the recession has hit Fla. very hard.

Any other info re: living in Tampa would be much appreciated...

Cheers!
Unemployment is rather high(i think is hovering 11% in the tampa area), the Tampa area is alot more to offer besides tourism, as Tampa is the Financial capital of the Central and West Coast of Florida, and there is alot of Industry in the city as well. Alot of the unemploymnet also has to do with the housing, developmnet and construction areas.

As far as Safety, South Tampa(the area of land South of Kennedy Blvd) is reletively safe, places like Davis Islands and Harbour Island give you and island feel right beside downtown. Come check out the areas in person, walk and drive around, talk to the people that work and live in those areas(in the restaurants/shops, etc.)

Old 03-01-2010, 11:34 AM

93 posts, read 231,246 times
calling hyde park "up and comming" is absolutely ridiculous. maybe closer to kennedy, one could make an argument. but south of swann and east of the crosstown is perhaps the safest, most exclusive, and most picturesque part of tampa (and most expensive).

personally i would choose hyde park any day of the week over carrolwood or new tampa. especially if walkability is important to you.

the problem is that many agents like to use the term "hyde park" to describe anything within a 5 mile radius of this area. based on your requirements/preferences, i might steer clear of the busier bar areas (south howard near platt and thereabouts). my advice would be to look around the the intersections of morrison and rome or morrisson and oregon (and the surrounding blocks). there are very nice, very quite, and extremely safe 2 bedroom condos in that neighborhood around the higher end of your price range.

also check out palma ceia (neighborhood south of hyde park) near the country club. there are some hidden townhome/condo gems there, nestled among the single family homes.

oh, and davis island (perfect for tampa general) would be worth a look.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:09 PM

Thanks so much....that was very helpful!

Old 03-01-2010, 04:26 PM

13,773 posts, read 35,110,904 times
I agree if you go with Tampa General, Davis Island would be a great area. There are apts and at least one condo. You would also be close to Bayshore Blvd.

Once you know where you will work, then I would ask again. I wouldn't want to live in S. Tampa and work at St. Joseph North. That is a long drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay