U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 05:21 AM

5 posts, read 22,646 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I am moving from Philadelphia to Tampa, in the near future. I am looking for advice on the area. I am used to a major city and was wondering if Tampa is like that? Center City Philadelphia is broken up into sections with different names, and each has thier own character and triats (i.e. Old City, Rittenhouse, N. Liberties, etc.). Is the same true of Tampa? If so can someone suggest a section to look into living? I am 37, single, male, who likes to go out but a huge partier, I prefer the familiar bar to a trendy night club, but would love to sit in a park and read a book while drinking coffee for the local coffee shop (where the workers know me), or running a long the river. Or having lunch at an outdoor bistro and having dinner at a quaint BYOB. Also how far is Tampa from the beach and is it possible to live in a city-like atmosphere down there while still feeling like I live by the beach? Thank you so much, in advance for all of your help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 05:56 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,779,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyLeopold View Post
Hello everyone,
I am moving from Philadelphia to Tampa, in the near future. I am looking for advice on the area. I am used to a major city and was wondering if Tampa is like that? Center City Philadelphia is broken up into sections with different names, and each has thier own character and triats (i.e. Old City, Rittenhouse, N. Liberties, etc.). Is the same true of Tampa? If so can someone suggest a section to look into living? I am 37, single, male, who likes to go out but a huge partier, I prefer the familiar bar to a trendy night club, but would love to sit in a park and read a book while drinking coffee for the local coffee shop (where the workers know me), or running a long the river. Or having lunch at an outdoor bistro and having dinner at a quaint BYOB. Also how far is Tampa from the beach and is it possible to live in a city-like atmosphere down there while still feeling like I live by the beach? Thank you so much, in advance for all of your help!
The city of Philadelphia is the 6th most populous in the US with about 1.5 million people, compare that to the city of Tampa which is the 55th most populous with about 350k. Its a smaller city with most of the amenities of the bigger cities, but ona much much smaller scale...smaller history, culture, size, population, neighborhoods, museums, theaters, nightlife, etc...

That being said...the Center City of Tampa(or downtown where the tall buildings are) is more of a Financial District than a living breathing neighborhood...about 60k work there in downtown, but only about 2k actually live downtown...BUT there is alot of amenities in the central downtown Tampa(Tampa Theater, Museums of Art, Police, Fire, Photography, History Center, the Forum-hockey/concerts, Aquarium, Riverwalk, Convention Center and more)...there are a few neighborhoods just beside downtown Tampa that I think you may want to consider...
Ybor City - National Historic Landmark District - lots of coffeshops, cafe's, nightlife, art galleries, theater, funcky vibe.
Channelside - new up and coming district, cruise terminals, aquarium, Forum events, start of the Riverwalk Channelside Entertainment complex with restaurants/shops.
Harbour Island - upscale island neighborhood, mostly residential with a few cafes, walkable to Channelside area and trolley or streetcar from Ybor City.
Hyde Park and SoHo District - South Howard Ave is main area with lots of eateries, bars, shops, young professionals, Bayshore Blvd.

All the above neighborhoods are within a mile of downtown proper. Its a goods start to look at for what you ask in your original post. Those areas are aboput 35-40 minutes from some of the most beautiful beaches in the country on the Gulf of Mexico.

You mau also want to look at downtown St. Petersburg and the Old Northeast neighborhood if being closer the beach with the amenities of a small city is what you require.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:30 PM

5 posts, read 22,646 times
TampaGuy03,
Thank you so much for your reply! You have given me a great start in which to look. Someone also suggested a place called Feather Sound to me. Do you know anything about there? Thank you so much again. I am printing out your email for when I come down to look for a place!

Old 02-25-2010, 04:08 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,914,829 times
Love Phili. Have very good friends just outside the city on the PA side and family nearby on Jersey side. Was just there last year. It is nothing like Tampa. Tampaguy's point as to scale should be kept in mind. It would be closer to compare the experience of Phili with NYC, in my mind, than to Tampa.

Also this is not really a beachside city like Fort Lauderdale or Miami. But you never have the feeling of being inland because of Tampa Bay, along which the city sits and the many causeways which are a delight to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or