U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 05:50 AM

5 posts, read 9,408 times

Advertisements

My wife and I relocating to the Tampa area. She is afraid of bugs and rats . My question is this. When looking at apartments, what ?'s should we ask, what should we look for, and where should we stay away from?
I know "low income housing" is suspect, but I'm told even the best places have pest issues.What can residents expect from their landlords
regarding pest control?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 12:41 PM

4,091 posts, read 5,051,287 times
Pest control only goes so far. The bugs come with the climate. And they are EVERYWHERE!

Those are the worst.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:07 PM

792 posts, read 2,082,731 times
Everybody gets the occasional palmetto bug. There's not much you can do about it. When it rains a lot, is when they come inside.

Last year, I was putting my shoes on in the morning to go to work. I got about halfway to work and felt something wiggling in my shoe. I suspected what it was, but there wasn't much I could do about it in the middle of U.S. 19.

Anyway, when I get to work, the first thing I do is take my shoe off and out runs a big ole Palmetto bug about 2 inches long.

Other than the creepiness factor, they aren't dangerous.

Best advice is this: Buy the big Combat roach motels. Make sure they are the big ones. Spread them all over your house. You will still see one once in a while, but not too often.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:08 PM

2,536 posts, read 4,162,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchgoil View Post
My wife and I relocating to the Tampa area. She is afraid of bugs and rats . My question is this. When looking at apartments, what ?'s should we ask, what should we look for, and where should we stay away from?
I know "low income housing" is suspect, but I'm told even the best places have pest issues.What can residents expect from their landlords
regarding pest control?
It varies quite a bit. I lived in a large complex and pest control was included. Then I rented a condo from a private owner and I was responsible for pest control. Jut be sure it is clear who is responsible for it. I actually prefer taking care of it myself so that I can make sure there is no threat to my pets.

As far as what to look for, if it's a decent place they will have cleaned after the last tenants so it is unlikely you will be able to see tell-tale droppings, etc., but obviously if you see dropping in the kitchen cabinets then there is likely some sort of pest. Just ask the landlord if there have been reports of pests, etc. The landlord may or may not tell the truth. IF you are really concerned about it ask neighbors. If the problem is really bad they will have noticed something as well.

Also learn about which houseguests may actually be helpful. I have wolf spiders in my house, for example, and I leave them be. They are not venomous and eat bugs that might be more problematic.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:17 PM

792 posts, read 2,082,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I have wolf spiders in my house, for example, and I leave them be. They are not venomous and eat bugs that might be more problematic.
I personally hate all spiders, venomous or not.

And the problem with wolf spiders is that some of them are as big as a Silver Dollar. So even though they aren't poisonous, it still scares the heck out of you when you see one. The are very fast also.

I know a girl that was going to the restroom and when she went to reach for the TP, there was one sitting on top of the roll. She said it scared her half to death. I've noticed you tend to see them in the bathrooms mostly. I geuss they are drawn to water and drains.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:09 PM

2,536 posts, read 4,162,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
I personally hate all spiders, venomous or not.

And the problem with wolf spiders is that some of them are as big as a Silver Dollar. So even though they aren't poisonous, it still scares the heck out of you when you see one. The are very fast also.

I know a girl that was going to the restroom and when she went to reach for the TP, there was one sitting on top of the roll. She said it scared her half to death. I've noticed you tend to see them in the bathrooms mostly. I geuss they are drawn to water and drains.
Yes, some of them in my house are as big as silver dollars, maybe larger. I think they're cool so they don't scare me. I don't see them that often - maybe about twice a month. I haven't seen them in the bathroom any more than elsewhere, but that's just in my house. They're pretty shy in my experience.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:53 AM

5 posts, read 9,408 times
Thanks for the info all. I'll bring my shotgun.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:03 PM

371 posts, read 1,078,391 times
"Bugs as big as VW's?"

Yup, and I heard it's expensive to tax and insure them too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay