Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 07:49 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times

Advertisements

Well, school is not over yet and I have a collection of notices and useless papers on my desk.....why is that? why can't these schools use email to email parents all these notices, evidently all these files COME from a computer so why not stay there instead of wasting THIS MUCH PAPER!??

In this day when people use blackberries, iphones and all sorts of electronics with email capabilities why are these schools waste money on paper this way? I can understand using paper for art projects etc but these notices can be easily emailed! it's not like they get this paper for free....so why not put that money towards a music program or some other arts?

Is there a VALID reason for this? in my school days we used to note on our notebooks messages such as PTA meetings, or the like, our teachers never printed this amount of "notices" on daily basis....my kid is in preschool and I can only imagine this amount of papers growing as he advances in school and that's just a huge waste!

How can this practice be changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 09:26 AM

371 posts, read 1,191,216 times
Sadly there are a lot of people who still are not connected to the Internet or even have home computers. Add to that the people who HAVE to see something on a paper notice in their hand in order to mentally take note of the event (Guilty here!). So schools continue to send home tons upon tons of paper notices. If you have more than one child in the same schoool just multiply all of those 'notices'. Just wait, it gets worse, much, much worse! K-about 2nd grade there are so many colored worksheets and art projects sent home that you will get buried alive under it all. Thankfully around mid 2nd grade they get burned out on coloring all those worksheets! So that at least is a bit of a paper relief.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:01 AM

I think the ppl without computers are really a minority these days, a tiny one too......and if that's the case then the back of the notebook should do just fine, kids should make notes........also schools have websites where they can announce these things not to mention the phone system that calls to remind of short days!

I have 3 kids......yeah, you bet...insane amounts of paper wasted....

Sorry but there is really no reason to waste this much paper.....

Old 02-28-2010, 10:53 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
I think school notices are one of those things where you're danged if you so and you are danged if you don't. I wish my kid's school were better about sending notices. They don't use their school website or email either.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:04 AM

371 posts, read 1,191,216 times
[quote=algia;13092418]I think the ppl without computers are really a minority these days, a tiny one too......QUOTE]

Actually, I think the amount of people without computers/internet access might suprise you, it did me! I'm on the PTA of my sons elementary school. Recently we tried to go all online for our monthly school newsletter. The feedback against being totally online due to not having home computer/internet access was astounding. And this is in an area that is generally considered rather upscale.

And recently I went back home for a relatives funeral. I was suprised to find out that of my 4 adult siblings, only my brother, the IT guy, had a computer and internet access. Two of my sisters had computers/internet in the past, but found they didn't 'need' it. I dont know how they exist!

Old 02-28-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Actually, I think the amount of people without computers/internet access might surprise you, it did me! I'm on the PTA of my sons elementary school. Recently we tried to go all online for our monthly school newsletter. The feedback against being totally online due to not having home computer/internet access was astounding. And this is in an area that is generally considered rather upscale.

I am indeed surprised, at how little people are willing to change here and how many excuses are found to justify "wasting" resources! instead of being proactive and use all these electronics we are able to have here these days.......this is no different than getting used to use credit/debit cards instead of cash! so many companies are forcing people these days to use cards... schools should do the same if the end result is in the best interest of their school......banks offer to stop sending paper statements....Brighthouse, TECO same thing..... why not schools too?

Old 02-28-2010, 12:39 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Just wait until teachers start asking for donations because the school wont buy them more paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: