U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:45 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,126,573 times

Advertisements

Dude, you couldn't be more wrong.........if you tried harder!

We choose not to own a property here for two reasons:

1. Because we're not sure this is where we really want to be

and

2. Because our incomes will not permit to own a home COMFORTABLY! because the fields were in are not making loads of money in general.......so, if we wanted, we could buy a home, but then we would be slaves to it, why do that?

As a matter of fact if you saw this house you would think we do own it.....we are more than responsible people which is why it would be IRRESPONSIBLE for us to own right now!
You would wish you had US as tenants...trust me!

Guess what......."no tenant....no landlord", you can't be a landlord without a tenant! then you will be your own "boss" and pay that mortgage BY YOURSELF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
You nailed it and Algia is for a reason renting and not an owner. She doesn't like the responsibility because as a tenant she thinks "i don't care it isn't mine property" << THAT is very offensive, you don't know me nor you are my landlord!...and that is exactly why a LL is above a tenant in this business deal. The LL is the boss and not the tenant. If you don't like it, then change it and become a LL. it is what it is.

Car ins. give discounts to student or young drivers with a high GPA, because students who do well in school have less chances of acting in a irresponsible way , which saves me money for our kids ins.

It all comes from experiences in the past.

Although Europe has a different system and not a credit score like over here, they do look how a person pay their bills, etc...people who are late with their bills have a harder time or no chance to get a loan...so in the end similar to here although over here these people still can get a loan but with higher interest....

Good behavior will be awarded and I like it.:OK:

If you like the system better in Europe....feel free to live there...I like it better here so I go with the regulations here, but I'm glad I can compare and the US win's on most things.
Really? full of yourself are you??? what do you win exactly? the "right" to be in debt forever and ever? yeah, I'll envy that soon.....watch me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 04:44 PM

26,753 posts, read 41,126,236 times
Well I own them out right...so that is already different.

The people I rented to in the past (most were decend and very good tenantsand I didn't have an issue with them) were either not talking about what they expected for the future and just spoke about wanting to rent the property.

Both tenants that i had issues with, were people talking how they wanted to buy a home and both were not the best with paying the rent (1 had a lease purchase) and leaving the property as the other tenants did...

Due to that it for me now a red flag if they start talking about buying the minute the walk into my property...just because both tenants did that and both cases ended up in court.

Hopefully I'm wrong but this is 2 for 2....while the others spoke about renting the place due to checking out where they later want to move ....

The guy I will see in court next month was even talking about buying when he paid his rent on the 11th day of the month due to not having a job anymore....I guess lalaland is nice to be in with your head...

Old 03-09-2010, 05:06 PM

Again, {your house, your experience,} definitely not the rule for everyone else.......the one we rent now also doesn't have a mortgage.....however after our past experience you can be sure I will do my own investigation before renting from someone I DON'T KNOW, definitely not leave my family at the mercy of God knows who!...in any country not just here....my rent money is mine until it hits your wallet, therefore I am going to make sure it is going to the right people from now on! Never in a million years we would have expected that to happen to us....we were naive I guess....won't happen again!

My parents rented our home back in Europe for 22 years........we don't rent by the month.....which is why is important to us WHO we rent from especially from now on......

Just as you want to protect your property, we also want to make sure our money goes for rent and not somewhere else and we are left in the street again!

If you have something to hide then I will not rent from you....we have a family and small kids and DO CARE where we live greatly.....if I want to rent from a machine I would rent an apartment.....but when renting from actual PEOPLE I have expectations that they realize we have a family and don't have disposable income to keep throwing away on properties that are being foreclosed on.

If you want to blame someone for this situation that has been created since 2007, blame the same mortgage Lenders & greedy Realtors....not the consumers who got screwed and lost jobs etc.

I realize that because in the US the propaganda is to "own a home" or otherwise you're wasting your money and are given the eyebrow, not the case as far as I am concerned...sorry...I already told you what I think of it...

We will have to agree to disagree because we can go on forever like this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Well I own them out right...so that is already different.

The people I rented to in the past (most were decend and very good tenantsand I didn't have an issue with them) were either not talking about what they expected for the future and just spoke about wanting to rent the property.

Both tenants that i had issues with, were people talking how they wanted to buy a home and both were not the best with paying the rent (1 had a lease purchase) and leaving the property as the other tenants did...

Due to that it for me now a red flag if they start talking about buying the minute the walk into my property...just because both tenants did that and both cases ended up in court.

Hopefully I'm wrong but this is 2 for 2....while the others spoke about renting the place due to checking out where they later want to move ....

The guy I will see in court next month was even talking about buying when he paid his rent on the 11th day of the month due to not having a job anymore....I guess lalaland is nice to be in with your head...

Old 03-10-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post

Just as you want to protect your property, we also want to make sure our money goes for rent and not somewhere else and we are left in the street again!

What the LL does with the money is not your business, as long as it doesn't affect you as a tenant. Therefore you should check the public records and in FL the law has changed. If the LL get's in foreclosure the tenant can stay until their lease expires so you don't have to be affraid of anything anymore, just that your lease might not be extended and that right have both the tenant and the LL. Long term leases have to be drawn up by a lawyer (longer than 1 yr)

If you have something to hide then I will not rent from you....we have a family and small kids and DO CARE where we live greatly.....if I want to rent from a machine I would rent an apartment.....but when renting from actual PEOPLE I have expectations that they realize we have a family and don't have disposable income to keep throwing away on properties that are being foreclosed on.

As I stated before, the law is nor protecting tenants up to the end of their lease

If you want to blame someone for this situation that has been created since 2007, blame the same mortgage Lenders & greedy Realtors....not the consumers who got screwed and lost jobs etc.

You forgot to mention the people lying on their mortgage applications and people who just run away from their obligations because they didn't like what they had signed.

I realize that because in the US the propaganda is to "own a home" or otherwise you're wasting your money and are given the eyebrow, not the case as far as I am concerned...sorry...I already told you what I think of it...
Nothing different then Europe. They also teach you that renting is throwing away money and buying is building equity....they do teach not to rent or buy above what you are able to afford.

BTW Europe has also similar housing issues right now...so don't make Europe better then it is.

We will have to agree to disagree because we can go on forever like this....
We don't have to agree but facts are facts.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:02 AM

You're missing my point....

You want to believe that owning is better than renting, great, your choice, however my comment about Europe was not referring to the fact that they also have housing problems too, of course they do......everyone has now thanks to the predator lenders....(yes I know about the ones who signed "anyway" those however are a minority as no one in their right mind and with ALL the information disclosed to them would sign on a mortgage for the hell of it and then abandon the house, it makes no sense!) I was referring that owners there generally don't treat tenants like some sort of a low class just because they choose to rent.

It is the general attitude about it, just like you choose to buy, someone is free to choose to rent, (for whatever reason which is also not your business) THAT however doesn't make the one that owns better in any way!
I know the laws have changed now, (it's about time) I will be very happy when people (LL's) attitude will change too, and they stop thinking they are somehow entitled to the tenant's money! and therefore they have to act out like "I am better than you" attitude! You're not.....you or any other LL.....sorry.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:36 AM

IMo LL are not better than tenants, but if you describe business deal than the LL is kind of the boss and not the tenant...

I have a very good business relation with my tenants and we equaly respect each other.

I have to disappoint you....a LL is entitled to the tenants money...that is what is in the lease!

A LL has to maintain the property and the tenant has to pay for using/living at the property!

Old 03-10-2010, 10:16 AM

2 different things......

1. IF a contract is signed, of course the LL is entitled to his/her money, just like ANY OTHER BILL no different......
2. An LL acting "entitled" towards people who he/she doesn't know, (or knows) just because he/she thinks that because they own property they are better than everyone else!

Just because you own property and rent it out, that doesn't make you better than anyone else who prefers to rent. It's a sport just like house flipping......That's it. It is a matter of mentality, in the end no one gives a rats a*** because you have equity or not.......or are friends with you BECAUSE of that! or employ you etc. etc.....if that's the case then that says a lot about where our society is going! and it's not a pretty place.....

It's a personal choice just like picking Brighthouse over FIOS..........

Old 03-10-2010, 11:03 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,939,286 times
A home is an investment. You pay rent, you get nothing in return. When you own a home you own the land and the home it sits on. If the value increases, you get a return. If you try to sell in a depression, as now, then you may loose.

A lot of people don't want the hassles associated with home owner ship
such as maintenance. You get that done with your rent.

Renting is just giving your money to someone else. Ownership is just that. YOu pass it on to heirs or sell it and move to an apartment when you get older.

I certainly would not consider it "overrated" I like having the choice to do what ever I want to my living space. A renter cant do that.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Bentlebee...not everyone that rents is in bad shape and can't buy...my brother makes 6 figures , has stellar credit and works for the same school since 1988 and pays $700 rent smack down in the middle of Coral Gables since 1988....can't beat that!!! he has no reason to buy! We don't have a reason to buy either!

This whole "buying a home" is overrated....when you factor in ALL that it cost to maintain that home it makes a lot more sense to rent! Plus it's not like you can take your house to your grave...just one more material thing....we rather rent, care for the home we rent and not have any of the other headaches that come with home ownership...HOA's, Homeowners insurance...CDD's...blah, blah, blah...

Old 03-10-2010, 11:12 AM

Everybody need to be careful these days to avoid getting scammed.

Lots of rental scams out there. LIke the guy who shows apartments to people, collects deposits and then they find out he has nothing to do with the property except he was a "looker" and just scammed folks.

Or there is the Deposit/months rent first and last scam. You give them the $, they rent the apartment to someone else.

All kinds of nasty stuff renters have to watch out for these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
We have rentals and there is no way I would give a tenant my SSN.

It is none of the tenants business what is on my credit report.

You want to rent from me, I make the rules.

There are tons of ways to check to see if the home is in foreclosure.

I am banging my head on the desk thinking that someone actually believes they have the right to check my credit as a landlord.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:16 AM

They are "under water" because they paid ridiculous prices and there was a drop in the prices. Its the same house they bought. Wait, give it time.The housing market will improve. Maybe not enough to get those people back the price they paid (inflated) but home is home. Everybody has to live someplace. You bought it, enjoy it I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Are sure about that, there are homeowners that are so severly underwater on their homes that they will never see equity, yet they still have to pay all the costs associated with home ownership.

Buying vs. renting a home - May. 26, 2009
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay