Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:09 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,597,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
and also check the property history on the Hillsborough County Appraisal website......
HCPAFL.org - PROPERTY RECORD SEARCH

I forgot to mention that through that website above we found out that our landlord stopped making payments 4 months prior to us moving in............
The previous weblink for Hillsborough County Property records and taxation is useful for finding out the owner of record. One would need to search the Clerk of the Circuit Court for Hillsborough County mortgage information (Lis Pendens, Judgements, etc.) --> http://www.hillsclerk.com/publicweb/...l_records.aspx.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 03-08-2010 at 11:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 11:43 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,401 times
The current Omnibus Bill in the Florida Senate that impacts condominium associations addresses one of these issues:

"Provides that if a unit is occupied by a tenant and that unit owner is delinquent in the payment of any monetary obligation to the association, the association may demand that the tenant pay to the association the future monetary obligations related to the condominium unit. Requires the association to mail written notice to the unit owner of the association’s demand that the tenant make payments to the association. Provides that the liability of the tenant may not exceed the amount due from the tenant to the tenant’s landlord. Provides that the tenant’s landlord shall provide the tenant a credit against rents due to the unit owner in the amount of monies paid to the association. Provides that the association may sue for eviction as if the association were a landlord if the tenant fails to pay a required assessment to the association."

I suggest that tenants put a clause in their lease that states that if the landlord is delinquent on their obligations, the rent is reduced to zero immediately.

This new law, if passed, will require tenants to pay the landlord's association fees and then attempt to reduce their rent by the same amount. Why not add my clause and avoid this whole mess? Especially since the condo association will now have the right to sue the tenant for the condo fees and evict the tenant regardless of the landlord's wishes.

If you are a tenant and don't do your homework, you are not only susceptible to being thrown out on the street for a foreclosure. You can now be sued and evicted by the condo association.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:48 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,302,536 times
Quote:
Sunny-Days90........and YOU as a landlord, what makes you think you're above everyone else exactly? we rented for someone we thought was "decent" and after 4 months we were notified that they are in foreclosure and we have to move out.....we moved from another city and all of our moving funds were spent.....and we have not seen our deposit back either......they took our money and ran back to California! why do you think that's OK! should we have run a background check and checked public records etc we would have found that they were in default by 4 months already and also filled for bankruptcy, but realtors are not obligated to disclose any of that information to their clients so we had no idea and our realtor either didn't know wither or didn't tell us.....either way, we got screwed out of our money........ but WHY do you assume renters are some "low class" that should have no rights? and should be free to be screwed with? we have families too!

I can say the same thing.......why do you want to see my credit for? you know fully well that in this country once you lost your job and don't have millions saved up you're going to default on something UNLESS you find a job the next day which is unlikely for MOST people...............SO........just because I may have defaulted on something that hardly tells if I'll be paying my rent or not.......SOME PEOPLE (nowadays more than before) keep on paying all their utilities and rents and default on credit cards.....
Not above anyone at all.

If YOU want to rent from ME, I make the rules.

It is none of your business what my credit report looks like.

I would have to give YOU permission to check my credit and believe me that would not happen.

Because there is one bad landlord does not give you any rights to review my credit.

There are other ways to check and see if a home is in foreclosure.

To rent from me or many other people you have to submit a credit report and allow us to do a background check. Afterall you are renting MY property and I want to make sure you dont have any background or former rental issues.

I have had several tenants destroy one of my rental homes and thought they could run and get away with it. I found them and the judgment in court to garnish their wages was given.

Believe me, there are far worse tenants then there are landlords.

Remember, you are renting from me.

Renters have rights which is spelled out in a well written contracts that you sign.

By the way, I have a background in financing and credit and tell you that if you see credit scores below 600 in "most cases" they are a high risk to rent to. Just the facts.

I allowed a 510 FICO score family (wont happen again ) to rent one of my homes and they trashed the place so bad I had to spend tons of money to clean the place up. They were filthy people who ruined all the carpet, never cleaned the bathrooms and lived like animals. Sad that people do not have respect for other people property.

I won a judgment to garish their wages to pay me back.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:48 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,297,748 times
Look,

Someone can have stellar credit and STILL trash a place......that comes from EDUCATION/COMMON SENSE not credit score! when someone is RUDE and has no manners it doesn't matter if their credit is good or bad! they will still trash the place..................I won't need a credit score to see how they'll treat my property........I would ask for PICTURES of how they treated the one before mine! and ask what cleaner they prefer for the toilets, when they have no clue what brand makes what then I'll know my toilets will never be cleaned........ NEXT.......photos speak louder than the credit score! IMO

But guess what, when someone moves from another city/state and doesn't know YOU...how can THEY be certain you won't screw them over! we had a very well drawn out contract with the people that foreclosed on us, they were telling us how they bought properties ALL OVER TAMPA! they had 2 kids and were complaining about how expensive everything is in CA........bah, blah, blah......and they turned out to be crooks! ESPECIALLY since they stopped making mortgage payments 4 MONTHS before we moved in!!!! just because someone prefers to rent, that doesn't make the landlord exempt of being checked upon! We have kids, and I want to make sure no one is screwing with our finances! or the place we choose to live in since schools are a concern also! We rent from YOU....so, that means we trust that YOU will provide US with proper living conditions! so, as far as I am concerned it is only FAIR that BOTH parties agree to check themselves out, you want OUR MONEY and we want you to have it as long as you don't cause US any head aches! or take our money and leave us in the street!

Believe me, there are landlords who won't even repair around NOR let the tenant fix it and take it out of rent........

I can understand it is YOUR property and you want to make sure that no damage is done, in that case YOU WILL have to screen your future tenants but credit score is really not that strong of a tool as far as I am concerned....sometimes you can just LOOK at someone and KNOW they'll be trouble! TRUST ME! I don't need their credit score to tell they'll be screwing with my property.

Here's the thing......what I've noticed to be different comparing with Europe for example is that here the landlord thinks that BECAUSE he/she owns a home that puts them above everyone else, attitude wise, THAT my friend is not flattering to say the least........people who rent their homes in Europe don't ACT like this! There are many people who rent, the problem is that here for some reason (that social class thing) people who WANT to rent for any reason are viewed as inferior in some way........and I hate to tell you this but in the end, owning a home is no different than owing a car, or a horse, or shoe.....it doesn't make you any better than everyone else mostly because it IS just one more material thing, nothing special there what so ever. IF YOU were the ONLY one to ever own a home, then sure, make a big deal.....but you're not, therefore there is no need to turn this into a "social class" vendetta against people who choose not to deal with all the chores of owing a home and would prefer to be FREE instead of being tied down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Not above anyone at all.

I would have to give YOU permission to check my credit and believe me that would not happen.

Because there is one bad landlord does not give you any rights to review my credit.

To rent from me or many other people you have to submit a credit report and allow us to do a background check. Afterall you are renting MY property and I want to make sure you dont have any background or former rental issues.

I have had several tenants destroy one of my rental homes and thought they could run and get away with it. I found them and the judgment in court to garnish their wages was given.

Renters have rights which is spelled out in a well written contracts that you sign.

By the way, I have a background in financing and credit and tell you that if you see credit scores below 600 in "most cases" they are a high risk to rent to. Just the facts.

I allowed a 510 FICO score family (wont happen again ) to rent one of my homes and they trashed the place so bad I had to spend tons of money to clean the place up. They were filthy people who ruined all the carpet, never cleaned the bathrooms and lived like animals. Sad that people do not have respect for other people property.

I won a judgment to garish their wages to pay me back.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:18 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,030,190 times
Quote:
Look,

Here's the thing......what I've noticed to be different comparing with Europe for example is that here the landlord thinks that BECAUSE he/she owns a home that puts them above everyone else, attitude wise, THAT my friend is not flattering to say the least........people who rent their homes in Europe don't ACT like this!
Here's the real thing-we aren't in Europe.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:19 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,030,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post

I suggest that tenants put a clause in their lease that states that if the landlord is delinquent on their obligations, the rent is reduced to zero immediately.

Where does this entitlement idea of free housing come from?

Old 03-08-2010, 05:25 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,297,748 times
Ok, where this "entitlement" that you get 4 months of rent PLUS first and last and then foreclose so conveniently????

Old 03-08-2010, 06:41 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,302,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Where does this entitlement idea of free housing come from?

It comes from that particular crowd of people who believe that they are owed something for nothing.

There are good and bad renters and landlords.

In MY experience of belonging to a rental association group there are NO bad landlords in the group. They are all good people who take care of their properties and expect renters to respect the property like it was there.

But the experiences we all have with bad tenants is unreal.

From experience, I have had people with 750 scores who kept the place spotless and upon move out the place was spotless. Then people with 500 scores seems to always trash the place and leave it filthy. That is from my experience.

People with great credit scores have better values and want to do things right. People with low credit scores have lower values and in most cases could care less if they screw over someone.

The family who trashed one of my homes should pay me tons of bucks to even have to walk into MY property and have to deal with the filth they left behind. I never thought nasty people like them existed.

They thought they were going to run and hide from me. The joke was on them and now the garnishment from their paychecks might teach them how to treat and respect others properties.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:47 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
Quote:
It comes from that particular crowd of people who believe that they are owed something for nothing.

There are good and bad renters and landlords.

In MY experience of belonging to a rental association group there are NO bad landlords in the group. They are all good people who take care of their properties and expect renters to respect the property like it was there.

But the experiences we all have with bad tenants is unreal.

From experience, I have had people with 750 scores who kept the place spotless and upon move out the place was spotless. Then people with 500 scores seems to always trash the place and leave it filthy. That is from my experience.

People with great credit scores have better values and want to do things right. People with low credit scores have lower values and in most cases could care less if they screw over someone.

The family who trashed one of my homes should pay me tons of bucks to even have to walk into MY property and have to deal with the filth they left behind. I never thought nasty people like them existed.

They thought they were going to run and hide from me. The joke was on them and now the garnishment from their paychecks might teach them how to treat and respect others properties.
You nailed it and Algia is for a reason renting and not an owner. She doesn't like the responsibility because as a tenant she thinks "i don't care it isn't mine property"...and that is exactly why a LL is above a tenant in this business deal. The LL is the boss and not the tenant. If you don't like it, then change it and become a LL. it is what it is.

Car ins. give discounts to student or young drivers with a high GPA, because students who do well in school have less chances of acting in a irresponsible way , which saves me money for our kids ins.

It all comes from experiences in the past.

Although Europe has a different system and not a credit score like over here, they do look how a person pay their bills, etc...people who are late with their bills have a harder time or no chance to get a loan...so in the end similar to here although over here these people still can get a loan but with higher interest....

Good behavior will be awarded and I like it.:OK:

If you like the system better in Europe....feel free to live there...I like it better here so I go with the regulations here, but I'm glad I can compare and the US win's on most things.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:47 AM

214 posts, read 678,362 times
Quote:

Renters have rights which is spelled out in a well written contracts that you sign. And state and local law.

[...]
As a former landlord, I had good and bad tenants and I am with you 100%. Good for you for tracking down the scumbags and garnishing their wages!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay