U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 06:51 PM

3,380 posts, read 8,212,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlo View Post
You can stay in the AC most of the time, as long as you can afford it. Progress Energy and Tampa Electric keep raising the rates or attempting to every quarter.
The good thing we have here is that on most days we get at least a light breeze, which helps you feel cooler if you're out and about.
Every Quarter?? That is ridunculous! I hope like crazy that when I buy a house there they end up having a deal on solar panels. A rebate, tax break, something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 07:40 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,255,183 times
OK, I feel pretty good about it now Thanks!

I do prefer hot over cold, and after 30 some years in the frigid north, I'm ready for the change.

So I'll go out in the mornings and inside in the afternoons. Sounds good to me. Much better than having to spend many months inside all day long because it's too cold to go out.

I hope my husband does alright. He's much more affected by heat than I am. He used to go out and shovel snow in a t-shirt!

Old 03-05-2010, 07:42 PM

Oh..... about electric bills.... I do know that they are raising rates pretty regularly, but I haven't been terribly worried because so far we are paying about $150/month less than we were up north, even with our heat running, because we don't have to pay for gas.

Hopefully AC doesn't cost a lot more to run than heat?

Old 03-05-2010, 10:46 PM

47 posts, read 64,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magijasakymaro View Post
So I'll go out in the mornings and inside in the afternoons.
There's your first problem. The heat is unbearable even in the morning. We're talking about a place that can be 85 degrees at night. But then again I really cannot stand heat. In the winter we sleep with the fan on high and our heater is set to 66. Our AC is 76 at the highest—and that's only because we have a bungalow so it stays cooler from being off the ground. It drops to 74 at night. If there's anything I love to spend money on, it's AC. Luckily my wife can bear just enough cold to keep me happy. She can't stand the heat either, though she's always cold when it's "cold."

Right now is one of the worst winters since I was a kid. I love it. This is the first Christmas for about the last ten years where it wasn't hot. I swore that I'd take a tree to the beach this year if it happened again.

As for the heat, last summer I got out of my car at work and I seriously thought my car was on fire as the summer air hit my face. Granted I had the AC on full blast at my head before I got out and my car gets mighty cold but I checked under it just to be sure.

All that said, my opinion is about as helpful as your husband's. I feel sorry for him because he's going to absolutely hate Florida summers. I grew up here and I was going to move up north to get away from it but in the end I loved Tampa too much.

I'd definitely shovel snow in a t-shirt, though I've unfortunately never seen much of it. A few years ago I went swimming in January. When my wife and I went to NY, we went to the St. Patrick's day parade and I got so hot from walking that I was down to a T-shirt and jeans and native New Yorkers were standing around in coats looking like they were freezing. I think it was 38 outside. I mean really, it was only 38 not -10 or something. We ate lunch outside that day and people looked at us like we were crazy. It was too hot inside. Why do places up north turn the heat to like 90? We have coats and layers, I don't want to remove them as soon as I get inside. That's one barrier to moving up north. Perhaps there's something wrong with me? To tell you the truth, I've become better over the last few years. I can bear more heat now than I could when I was younger and had a faster metabolism!

Tell your husband I'm sorry. As an aside, there's plenty of people from Michigan down here for some reason. I know at least 3 or 4 people from Detroit alone.

One warning:
I imagine that driving in a snowstorm is pretty horrible. Still, I'd wager that driving in a Florida rain is much worse. A few years ago I was driving downtown on I-275 and a semi truck, no farther than 15-20 feet away, completely disappeared right in front of me. I looked into the next lane and I could barely see the car next to me. People frequently just pull off the road and attempt to wait it out. Buy some Rain-X. Trust me, you'll need it.

Most people don't experience rain the likes of which occur here. When I was in Ireland they were complaining about all the "rain." Their rain wasn't even a drizzle here. If you had a cup in your hand it'd take hours to fill. Here, if you walked to your car with a cup during a storm it'd be overflowing. I've never seen a rain that compares. You can even see it coming in a sheet. You can even smell it coming—I kid you not. My street becomes a river when it's really bad.

Anyway, I hope that, despite the horrible picture I've made, you like it here. I'm still here despite all of that. Sometimes I wonder why and then autumn and spring remind me, even though they only last about two weeks apiece! That's when the breezes usually come through. The rest of the summer, at least for the past few years, has just been dead heat.

Last edited by graphix; 03-05-2010 at 10:56 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 10:51 PM

6,073 posts, read 5,587,421 times
Nobody ever slipped on the humidity and broke their arm. Rain doesn't form drifts that you cannot drive through a day after it falls. Pipes never freeze and burst because it got too hot.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Nobody ever slipped on the humidity and broke their arm. Rain doesn't form drifts that you cannot drive through a day after it falls. Pipes never freeze and burst because it got too hot.

Funny! One of my closest friends slipped and broke her arm. She didn't have medical insurance and the establishment refused to pay. Another close friend had their pipes freeze this winter. I have been stranded at a cabin on a weekend snowmobile trip because of snow drifts and had to call in to work because I couldn't make it until Wednesday. Too funny.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:20 AM

47 posts, read 64,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
1. You'd speak differently if you slipped on algae that can grow on surfaces due to humidity.

2. Rain can create mudslides and sinkholes. Also, hurricanes can flood areas for weeks, especially if there have been drought conditions.

3. No, but PVC can melt. Pipes burst here too, and it's because no one knows to let them drip because it rarely gets cold enough to need to do so.

I got a few for you. No one gets a day off from school or work because it's raining too hard to see through. No one drowns in a snow drift. No one gets struck by lightning in a snowstorm.

We might get a day off for a hurricane though. Of course then we sit at home with no power for a while and become drenched with sweat worried about our homes or other damages.

Additionally, there's nothing really fun about rain. You can play in it, and then you're just wet. With snow, you can have snowball fights, ski, snowboard, toboggan...hell you could even ride a lunch tray. Or you could just enjoy your free day off. You could also be glad that something fell down to make the world that much prettier for you to enjoy, or you could be happy that it makes Christmas actually feel like Christmas.

There are two sides to every coin. Some like it hot. You have the choice to move if you think cold too unbearable. You seem to really hate snow and cold so why not move if it's that bad?

Also, there's far more elements here to be concerned with than simply rain. A hurricane can drown you, destroy your house with water, or wind. A hurricane can spawn tornadoes. Tornadoes can also occur on their own, and do somewhat frequently. There's also waterspouts, which are slightly less dangerous but can also spawn tornadoes. Then there's huge thunderstorms and we're the lightning capital of the US. The heat is also dangerous. Many elderly people die from heat stroke. Before the rains come, it's very easy for forest fires to occur. Then you can lose your house to fire. Then there's also the aforementioned sinkholes to swallow your house without much warning.

The point is, bad things can happen anywhere. The grass is always greener on the other side.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphix View Post
The point is, bad things can happen anywhere. The grass is always greener on the other side.

Boy oh boy, that's the truth right there.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:23 AM

7,136 posts, read 11,431,295 times
I don't think the summers in Tampa are any worse than the summers in Cincinnati. IMHO, the springs, winters, and falls in Tampa are glorious compared to those in the Midwest. I think after living in Michigan you will appreciate all that Tampa has to offer.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:

Tell your husband I'm sorry. As an aside, there's plenty of people from Michigan down here for some reason. I know at least 3 or 4 people from Detroit alone.
Really?? I've only met one other person from MI so far. It seems like most people are from NY, NJ, and Ontario. I haven't been here long though.

Quote:
One warning:
I imagine that driving in a snowstorm is pretty horrible. Still, I'd wager that driving in a Florida rain is much worse. A few years ago I was driving downtown on I-275 and a semi truck, no farther than 15-20 feet away, completely disappeared right in front of me. I looked into the next lane and I could barely see the car next to me. People frequently just pull off the road and attempt to wait it out. Buy some Rain-X. Trust me, you'll need it.
OK, I will get the Rain X. I did get dumped on a couple times so far. Once when I was driving over the causeway and suddenly literally could not see more than an inch in front of me. It was scary. I don't like rain like that. But I've also driven in lots of snowstorms where I could see just about as far, and it lasts for hours and hours on end.

So I guess it's a trade off. I know I won't like it, but I imagine I'll learn to live with it.

I'm surprised you have so much trouble tolerating the heat having grown up here! I always thought that would make heat much more preferable to cold. Interesting!

Quote:

3. No, but PVC can melt. Pipes burst here too, and it's because no one knows to let them drip because it rarely gets cold enough to need to do so.
We've actually already had a pipe burst here. Well, it was broken when we moved in anyway. One of the outdoor pipes. It may have broken because of the cold.

Quote:

Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay