Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 05:03 PM

433 posts, read 1,007,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Living in a hot climate is pretty much the same as living in a cold one. In a cold climate you start your car with remote start and let the heater run until it gets warm. Of course on really really cold days your ar does not get warm idling. In a hot climate use that same remote start system to turn on the A/C a few minutes before you get in your car (I plan on doing this since i have a remote start already). In a cold climate you keep your activities outside to a minimum unless the activity is recreational and requires you to be outside. In a hot climate your outdoor activity involves water. In a cold climate you have to push a snowblower in unbearable temps. In a hot climate you have to push your lawnmower in unbearable temps. See it's the same. The question is which do you prefer, HOT or COLD?
In the north it's cold nonstop for 4 months man.

In the south it's unbearably hot from mid morning to late afternoon for 2 months (after the thunderstorm) but on any given day you can be happy and comfortable outside if you plan around that.

You can't plan around the cold up north.

This unbearably cold winter we just had down here in florida? Imagine if it lasted 4 months instead of 2 weeks and imagine throwing some sleet and snow storms on top of that.

Anyone who calls the summer in florida the same as the winter up north hasn't spent enough time up north. Then again your from alaska it seems so I don't blame you for over-reacting to the heat down here. Must be nice not to live in darkness for 6 months straight though hu?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 05:22 PM

371 posts, read 1,186,157 times
I could be wrong but I think you misunderstood him. I *think* he was implying that both the North and the South have it bad at times, how you deal with it depends on if you like cold or hot weather.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Cin! View Post
I could be wrong but I think you misunderstood him. I *think* he was implying that both the North and the South have it bad at times, how you deal with it depends on if you like cold or hot weather.
My point was that it's not the same thing because with heat it is only a problem for a few hours a day where as with cold it's a problem consistantly for months straight with no break at all.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:26 PM

30,173 posts, read 20,894,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
My point was that it's not the same thing because with heat it is only a problem for a few hours a day where as with cold it's a problem consistantly for months straight with no break at all.
The summer in FL is bad. It's hot and humid day and nite for about 7 months without a break. If i had a choice, i would rather deal with a FL summer over a snowy winter up north.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:29 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,085,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
If i had a choice, i would rather deal with a FL summer over a snowy winter up north.

Me too! lol.... obviously since I am headed that way in a little over 3 months!

Old 03-29-2010, 06:32 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,132,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Me too! lol.... obviously since I am headed that way in a little over 3 months!

Me three

Well, except for the 'headed that way in 3 months'

Old 03-29-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
The summer in FL is bad. It's hot and humid day and nite for about 7 months without a break. If i had a choice, i would rather deal with a FL summer over a snowy winter up north.

???

I guess that it's true that different people have different opinions man. As long as it's not 90 and humid I think it feels real nice. At it's worst it's no different then a suana which is not really that bad if you think about it. Theraputic for the skin.

Unbearable 7 months straight? That's absolute hogwash. Do you think it's too hot right now? Probably. Worst month I've seen so far is may when i came on vacation (never done june,july,august) and sometimes yes the humidity would get to me but the thundershower comes and it's heaven for the rest of the day after that. There's only 2 months where temps get 90 plus a lot (july/august).

Last edited by ^Eagle^; 03-29-2010 at 06:49 PM..

Old 03-29-2010, 08:33 PM

30,173 posts, read 20,894,173 times
Quote:
???

I guess that it's true that different people have different opinions man. As long as it's not 90 and humid I think it feels real nice. At it's worst it's no different then a suana which is not really that bad if you think about it. Theraputic for the skin.

Unbearable 7 months straight? That's absolute hogwash. Do you think it's too hot right now? Probably. Worst month I've seen so far is may when i came on vacation (never done june,july,august) and sometimes yes the humidity would get to me but the thundershower comes and it's heaven for the rest of the day after that. There's only 2 months where temps get 90 plus a lot (july/august).
Want me to cry now or later? It was a typo, i mean to say 5 months without a break. From mid May till mid Oct it's hell. Better check some records, like May of 95 when it was 95+ for 6 days in a row. Most times we hit the first 90 degree temp by May 12th give ir take a few days. I know it's not always 90 everyday, but even a high of 86 can be hell if the dewpoint is 75 and humidty is 60%+.

Like i said hell, from mid May till mid Oct. But still less of a hell of a snowy winter up north.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:09 PM

371 posts, read 1,186,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Me three

Well, except for the 'headed that way in 3 months'
Me 4! And I should be in on the 'headed that way in 3 months' quote as well!

Ok...I might not be smiling in July when I'm trying to unload a moving van in the heat and humidity and possibly a thunderstorm...but after it's all unpacked and put away (sometime in December!) THEN I'm pretty sure I'll be smiling big.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:44 AM

47 posts, read 69,783 times
Quote:
That depends upon how much you can tolerate heat. For example, I like it to be in the low 70s and less. You rarely, if ever, get that in the summertime here. If I had my choice, I'd take 0 over 90 any day. At least I can dress for that. I can't get less dressed than naked.

For the record, I would have loved for our "cold winter" to have lasted for four months. That would have rocked. The only part that sucked is that almost all of my plants died.

Also, for the record, sometimes the storms just trap the heat and add humidity. It doesn't always get cooler. And generally, there's plenty of sun left to heat it right back up so it's just muggy the entire night. That's mainly the case for the last half of summer—June through October. It used to only be through August or so but for the past few years or so it's been hot through October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay