Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 05:53 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, here comes another New Yorker wanting to quit winter and move down to Florida. Yes, I know all about the traffic, heat, bugs, etc, and that life is not a picnic at the beach. But I detest cold weather so much - and snow, sleet, slush, longjohns, winter coats, scarves, hats, etc., - that I'll pay the price of oppressive heat and humidity for the warm winters.

Has anyone here lived in BOTH Fort Laudedale and Tampa - especially transplants from NYC? What are the pros and cons of each city compared to the other. My issue is not WHETHER to move to Florida but which of the two urban ares to choose.

Thanks Guys.

Last edited by Moderate Guy; 01-31-2012 at 06:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 06:21 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,465 times
I've lived in neither place, but I can tell you this: Using wealth to insulate yourself from the problems of the area is more important in South Florida than in Tampa. Within South Florida, Dade County is the worst in that regard, Broward isn't quite as bad.

Also, another huge factor is whether you are single & looking, retired, or raising children.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:58 PM

Thx for the response...

Old 02-01-2012, 11:51 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Your lifestyle will decide witch city you'll go too....do you want to party? or raise a family? or like quietness?

I lived in both...if we did not have kids to raise I would move back to Fort Lauderdale faster than you can say "yes"!

We also lived in Tampa, and with kids we liked it much better. It is more quiet, and actually cleaner. (oddly enough). Sunrise Blvd in Fort Lauderdale has had an increase in crack town activity (sadly) in the last 10 years, and if you can avoid it, the better. Just stay either west, or by the beach. In the middle it is "EHH"...I rather not.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:35 AM

I'm planning to relocate from NYC...and I know that there are issues wherever one goes. While weather may be a trivial issue for others - and that's their right - for me it's a priority...and in my case, warm weather minus snow and all that accompanies it. I will still see it on TV when I move down and I'll still be traveling up to NYC a few times per year to visit family and friends and to enjoy the things NYC offers.

For me, Tampa seems ideal. I've heard that people are not as rude as in South Florida. I like its more central location which offers easy access to Orlando, St. Augustine up North, its proximity to Sarasota for cultural events, the tri-city aspect of the area, and a host of other pluses.

However, I'm not wealthy. I'm an office worker in the latter part of his career seeking to move down and to be able to enjoy the weather, access to the Caribbean...and an environment for making a career switch to self-employed writer.

I have about 300k only in TOTAL savings - retirement and non-retirement. I know that out of that, I will need to buy a car as here in NYC I never needed one. Also I wanna be able to afford a decent 2/2 condo in a relatively safe part of the tri-city region there.

Is it possible to get a 2/2 condo or townhouse for 80k-100k in a decent part of town?

Old 02-02-2012, 10:50 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
I'm planning to relocate from NYC...and I know that there are issues wherever one goes. While weather may be a trivial issue for others - and that's their right - for me it's a priority...and in my case, warm weather minus snow and all that accompanies it. I will still see it on TV when I move down and I'll still be traveling up to NYC a few times per year to visit family and friends and to enjoy the things NYC offers.

For me, Tampa seems ideal. I've heard that people are not as rude as in South Florida. I like its more central location which offers easy access to Orlando, St. Augustine up North, its proximity to Sarasota for cultural events, the tri-city aspect of the area, and a host of other pluses.

However, I'm not wealthy. I'm an office worker in the latter part of his career seeking to move down and to be able to enjoy the weather, access to the Caribbean...and an environment for making a career switch to self-employed writer.

I have about 300k only in TOTAL savings - retirement and non-retirement. I know that out of that, I will need to buy a car as here in NYC I never needed one. Also I wanna be able to afford a decent 2/2 condo in a relatively safe part of the tri-city region there.

Is it possible to get a 2/2 condo or townhouse for 80k-100k in a decent part of town?
Tampa will definitely fill the bill for you based on your wants and needs. While we currently live in Sarasota, my husband works in downtown Tampa and commutes (an hour each way) and doesn't mind at all. I may be biased since Tampa is my home town, but as a Florida native I feel the expanded Tampa Bay area is the best all around region of Florida to live, based on many of the reasons you mentioned.

Will you need to secure new employment, or will you be able to transfer with your current job? Or are you planning to be self-employed right away? That could be a factor on where you relocate. If employment is not an issue, you should be able to find housing within your budget, but it may not be fancy. I will have to leave that to others to advise you. I will say it would be better to rent first and get the "lay of the land" so to speak.

Tampa has a great airport, one of the best in the country, and a seaport, so traveling is easy. And traffic will be nothing like you have in NYC. You might want to explore the St. Pete side - it has a beautiful downtown with a lot going on for a smaller city.

Good luck, and hope this helps!

Old 02-02-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Tampa will definitely fill the bill for you based on your wants and needs. While we currently live in Sarasota, my husband works in downtown Tampa and commutes (an hour each way) and doesn't mind at all. I may be biased since Tampa is my home town, but as a Florida native I feel the expanded Tampa Bay area is the best all around region of Florida to live, based on many of the reasons you mentioned.

Will you need to secure new employment, or will you be able to transfer with your current job? Or are you planning to be self-employed right away? That could be a factor on where you relocate. If employment is not an issue, you should be able to find housing within your budget, but it may not be fancy. I will have to leave that to others to advise you. I will say it would be better to rent first and get the "lay of the land" so to speak.

Tampa has a great airport, one of the best in the country, and a seaport, so traveling is easy. And traffic will be nothing like you have in NYC. You might want to explore the St. Pete side - it has a beautiful downtown with a lot going on for a smaller city.

Good luck, and hope this helps!
Thanks so much for your eloquent reply - you must be a fellow writer, for you write very well....

Your take on the Tampa area coincides with my own research and my gut feelings. I've also spoken to a few New York transplants who were transferred down to Tampa by Chase Bank a few years ago - and many seem to love it!

I'm hoping that my savings will get me some place - not fancy as you correctly cautioned - but relatively clean and safe...and hey, if my writing takes off, I can always move up! In the interim, I will rent for about a year - best to do in a new area if one can do so - I do agree! I've worked in accounting - but don't need a fancy accounting position. I really wanna become a full-time writer - self -employed. But as you know, anything artistic, in the beginning, does not offer a secure income flow...so I will try to get an ordinary accounting job, if possible, so I don't rapidly deplete my 300k total life savings.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your perspectives, gypsy...do so much appreciate!....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay