U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,269,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Cin! View Post
An "Early Bird Special" is not necessarily a snow bird special. It is for anyone dining before a certain hour. Granted, I think it tends to be aimed at the elderly clientel who tend to eat dinner earlier in the day, but anyone of any age can order the Early Bird Specials. And it's not just for Florida. Early Bird Specials can be found all over the country.
Not in Baton Rouge, Louisiana! I have been here 5 years and have eaten at a ton of restaurants and when my mom asked a server for early bird special(my paretns live in SOUTH FLORIDA)-she was clueless and no, there are no early bird specials in this town!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 02:02 PM

3,380 posts, read 8,182,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
Not in Baton Rouge, Louisiana! I have been here 5 years and have eaten at a ton of restaurants and when my mom asked a server for early bird special(my paretns live in SOUTH FLORIDA)-she was clueless and no, there are no early bird specials in this town!
No early bird specials here. There are lunch specials so if you want to eat dinner before 4pm you are all set. No Happy Hour either, its illegal here.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:37 PM

371 posts, read 1,076,360 times
Quote:
I'm sure its up to the discretion of the individual restaurants if they want to offer an early bird special. Just like it would be to offer a Happy Hour (except for poor Kash in Alaska, he's SOL), a lunch special or a 'blue plate special'.
If a restaurant offers it you'd usually see it posted on a menu board at the entrance of the restaurant.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:05 AM

3,380 posts, read 8,182,486 times
I am liking this early bird special thingy going on. Looking at taking advantage!! Oh, and happy hour too. Just to think, one of the reasons I am moving out of Alaska is cuz I drink too much here. Might get worse down there.... j/p

Old 03-12-2010, 11:18 AM

27 posts, read 92,768 times
I don't want keep going to talk about early birds or snow birds.
But I hope the follow people would like give you more information about Palm Harbor!

Old 03-12-2010, 11:20 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,531,322 times
Quote:
I used tio live there and yes the state does cater to retirees. restaurants offer lower prices for seniors along with Snowbird specials etc and the food is so bland! Most young people like some spice to their food. Not to say that younger people cannot enjoy it there though.
I'm not sure early bird specials equal "the state caters to seniors". As for bland food, you probably need to choose different restaurants. Bob Evans and Cracker Barrel aren't going to be heavy handed with cilantro or wasabi. Olive Garden shoots for a mainstream audience, they won't be particularly daring either. OTOH, there are a huge number of decent ethnic restaurants in the area-- a huge number of Greek places north county, plus Thai, Italian, Malay, Middle Eastern and Latin in the cities near Palm Harbor.

Are retirees and snowbirds in evidence? To a point. You learn not to grocery shop on the mornings your local senior apartment complex makes a bus run to Sweet Bay or Publix. You notice the traffic thins out after Easter and picks up in November (and morning rush hour is even lighter when school is out). Then again, you also learn not to try and eat out on the beach during the month of March and avoid the beaches and Disney on long holiday weekends. It's part of living in a "destination" area. Tourists are tourists-- though at least the retirees aren't roaming up and down Gulf Blvd. trashed to the gills or peeing in yards near downtown Dunedin, St Pete Beach, or Ybor. Well, at least, not usually.

As for the OP's questions:
About the high school...Pinellas County Schools aren't exactly the cream of the nation, or even of the state. If you move here from Chapel Hill or Minneapolis or Iowa, you'll cringe. But Palm Harbor's decent, which is probably as good as you're going to get with a public school here.
Breezes...more breeze the closer you are to the beach. Way more in Pinellas than Tampa, and none whatsoever once you're as far inland as Disney. Summer is beastly hot and humid, lasts forever, and takes getting used to. It grows on you (kinda like black mold). After decades here I can't stand the dryness of other, "normal" states.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:22 AM

371 posts, read 1,076,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
I am liking this early bird special thingy going on. Looking at taking advantage!! Oh, and happy hour too. Just to think, one of the reasons I am moving out of Alaska is cuz I drink too much here. Might get worse down there.... j/p
Hey, hit up an early bird special and a happy hour at the same time and you are good to go!

Old 03-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,269,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I'm not sure early bird specials equal "the state caters to seniors". As for bland food, you probably need to choose different restaurants. Bob Evans and Cracker Barrel aren't going to be heavy handed with cilantro or wasabi. Olive Garden shoots for a mainstream audience, they won't be particularly daring either. OTOH, there are a huge number of decent ethnic restaurants in the area-- a huge number of Greek places north county, plus Thai, Italian, Malay, Middle Eastern and Latin in the cities near Palm Harbor.

Are retirees and snowbirds in evidence? To a point. You learn not to grocery shop on the mornings your local senior apartment complex makes a bus run to Sweet Bay or Publix. You notice the traffic thins out after Easter and picks up in November (and morning rush hour is even lighter when school is out). Then again, you also learn not to try and eat out on the beach during the month of March and avoid the beaches and Disney on long holiday weekends. It's part of living in a "destination" area. Tourists are tourists-- though at least the retirees aren't roaming up and down Gulf Blvd. trashed to the gills or peeing in yards near downtown Dunedin, St Pete Beach, or Ybor. Well, at least, not usually.

As for the OP's questions:
About the high school...Pinellas County Schools aren't exactly the cream of the nation, or even of the state. If you move here from Chapel Hill or Minneapolis or Iowa, you'll cringe. But Palm Harbor's decent, which is probably as good as you're going to get with a public school here.
Breezes...more breeze the closer you are to the beach. Way more in Pinellas than Tampa, and none whatsoever once you're as far inland as Disney. Summer is beastly hot and humid, lasts forever, and takes getting used to. It grows on you (kinda like black mold). After decades here I can't stand the dryness of other, "normal" states.
Thanks for your reply! The public schools here in Baton Rouge really suck, so our child goes to private school. How are the private elem schools in Palm Harbor? Thanks again...

Old 03-13-2010, 06:38 AM

9 posts, read 58,201 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone. If I get the job, we have decided that Palm Harbor is the area we want to live in. The high school is rated very high and we like the fact that it has an association with USF which has the majors my two boys seem to be interested in. With a little luck, we will be moving down to your neck of the woods this summer!

Old 03-13-2010, 10:44 AM

471 posts, read 1,538,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamclan25 View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone. If I get the job, we have decided that Palm Harbor is the area we want to live in. The high school is rated very high and we like the fact that it has an association with USF which has the majors my two boys seem to be interested in. With a little luck, we will be moving down to your neck of the woods this summer!
Make sure that you check the zones to know which Palm Harbor neighborhoods are zoned for Palm Harbor University HS.
Basically it is west of 19, north of curlew and south of alderman(a few streets north are included)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or