U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 04:46 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,121,801 times

Advertisements

that's right.....we have a 4 bedroom now and 1 linens closet that is 2 feet deep by feet tall, try fit a king size comforter in that............joke.....big joke........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlo View Post
On a somewhat related note, I can't tell you how many older (built in 1980s and before) homes I have encountered around here that have little to no closet space and absolutely no form of pantry in the kitchen. More indicators of how Florida was a big ponzi scheme for senior citizens to buy into so they can come down and die---retire!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 04:49 AM

7,136 posts, read 11,387,503 times
Unfortuantely, downsizing becomes a necessity. Many things you need in Ohio you wil not need in Florida. We are in the process of getting rid of a lifetime of acquisitions and it's painful, but necessary if we want to live in Florida full time. Just like others have said, in some respects it's very liberating. Best wishes.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 AM

2,360 posts, read 4,662,769 times
I dont mean this to sound negative but if something means enough to you that its hard to get rid of i would keep it in storage up north when you move down. Again not to be negative but if for some reason you deciede you dont want to be down here you still have your stuff. When i moved down i left a lot of old New England antique type stuff in storage up there because it just didn't fit with the Florida decor. Now that i'm moving back i'm grateful because all the dolphin, palm tree type stuff we bought for the house down here would look a little funny in the log home we bought back up north.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:44 AM

8,488 posts, read 18,534,975 times
I can understand the OP's concern but what I don't understand is people complaining about the storage they have as if it is someone else fault.

Did you not look at the size of the closets when you bought or rented the house?
Did it shrink after you moved in?

I have 2 sheds. 1 for tools and yard equipment and the other for bikes, grills/smokers, outside toys etc.
I have a few cabinets in the garage along with exercise equipment and still get the car in.
Holiday decorations and luggage goes in the attic.

You will want to get rid of some things when moving down, just check out the house you are getting to make sure the storage space will suit you. If you can't find a suitable house around Clearwater you may want to expand your search.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:55 AM

111 posts, read 182,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
I dont mean this to sound negative but if something means enough to you that its hard to get rid of i would keep it in storage up north when you move down. Again not to be negative but if for some reason you deciede you dont want to be down here you still have your stuff. When i moved down i left a lot of old New England antique type stuff in storage up there because it just didn't fit with the Florida decor. Now that i'm moving back i'm grateful because all the dolphin, palm tree type stuff we bought for the house down here would look a little funny in the log home we bought back up north.
That's a really good point! If we get the job in Florida - I can't wait to decorate Florida style! I wouldn't bring all of my metropolitan midwest decor with me...

Last edited by moderngnome; 03-09-2010 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: to fix a smiley

Old 03-09-2010, 12:33 PM

371 posts, read 1,076,246 times
Downsizing before the move will be my biggest pain. Living in a big house now with lots of storage, two walk in attics and an extra large room over the garage (Stuff just tends to get 'stored' rather then discarded or passed along). I don't really expect to find that much storage (at a reasonable price) down in Florida. However, it will be worth it to finally have a reason to dredge through all of these belongings and purge, purge, purge. Someone mentioned how freeing it feels to downsize and I am soooo looking forward to that feeling.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:21 PM

540 posts, read 1,234,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Cin! View Post
Downsizing before the move will be my biggest pain. Living in a big house now with lots of storage,
It can be a tremendous pain, but you can do it. Just pick one storage place per weekend and get going. Make 4 piles. A keep, B yard sale, C donate, D trash

Before you know it, progress is made. Just make a decision to enjoy the process. Good Luck

Old 03-09-2010, 02:01 PM

It depends on the builder really...Ryland for example allows for ample storage, we had two huge linen closets back in our home in Orlando, other builders do not give much space, generally properties built in the 80's have little storage (unless it is some sort of a mansion).....there wasn't much choice at that time, remember the first house we rented when we moved here foreclosed on us.....so, we had little time to find something else....the "funny part" is that all tho pretty large, it is poorly designed architecturally speaking and has a lot of dead space.....

The closets didn't shrink...LOL That was funny, all tho it seemed that they did when we started unpacking!.....and because this was a vacation home, so not used daily, ALL the shelves fell down too once we started hanging our stuff....... and no, we don't even have that many clothing items per say or per what I've seen other have......but that was a fun project for my hubby and now it is all nice and organized.......and downsized.........LOLOL

From our experience, it is better to downsize before coming here, for two reasons, 1. the garage is HOT and unless you're going through your stuff now that is cool outside it will be nasty trying to go through all that in the summer months......and 2. because trying to sell anything here is a joke, craigslist will ask you to give it up for free, no joke.......so, it would be best to downsize and sell while up there, plus you'll save on moving vans also by getting a smaller one......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Did you not look at the size of the closets when you bought or rented the house?
Did it shrink after you moved in?

Old 03-09-2010, 02:25 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,161,950 times
We did not have this problem at all and did not need to downsize, in fact we acquired much more lol, after moving to FL from up north.

When looking at houses, we made sure we only considered ones that had large walk in closets, large pantries, linen closets, 3 car garage, etc for all our storage needs. Its really not an issue and we did not find that Florida homes had less storage at all then ones up north.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:51 PM

We had a 4 bedroom in Orlando too, same square footage & the 3 car garage, 1st house had plenty of storage (the one that foreclosed here in Tampa)...this one all tho same size has much less but because it is poorly designed, (space planned) not because of lack of sqf ........and we had to get rid of extra furniture too.......lol

We stayed on the same square footage path because more means the electric bill goes up...and we really don't need anymore than 2700sqf (garage included)....but it is weird that all had the same sqf and yet this one has the least storage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay