U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 01:45 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,180,334 times

Advertisements

My hubby's friend is visiting us and we plan on having one adults only night to go and grab drinks without the kids this weekend. We were planning on having dinner at Ybor, but thats the problem, we never do more than have dinner at Ybor.

So are there any clubs/bars/pubs worth visiting there in Ybor? DO NOT want to end up at a hiphop club or 25 and under type dance club. We are mid/late 30's. Any recommendations? Hubby and I usually go to wine bars but wanted to go somewhere more interesting/eclectic/exciting/etc with his friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 02:33 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,779,478 times
Why not take them out to Hyde Park - dinner at Mangrove's, Ceviche's, 717 South, Side Bern's and then check out Mangroves after 10pm, CHEAP, DrYnk, Hyde Park Cafe, The Rack, The Kennedy...just a suggestion.

Otherwise in Ybor if you dont want the hophop or under 25 places,I think most everything in Ybor is kind of "interesting"...you may want to check out Green Iguana, Gaspars Grotto, Czar. Depending on the night, and whats going on in the Club, there is also Prana and Level III. Reservior Bar, Dirty Shame, James Joyce Pub, and Boneyard draw some interesting people.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:07 PM

210 posts, read 427,456 times
Quote:
somewhere more interesting/eclectic/exciting/etc with his friend.
If you don't mind leaving Ybor and heading over to Channelside you can check Howl at the Moon.

Quote:
...Howl at the Moon takes the term "piano bar" to heights, with the piano players offering up witty discourse while encouraging the audience to "sing-along" to songs almost everyone knows by heart. Anyone who delights in good music will have a wonderful experience.

.....The focal point of this fun is a pair of Yamaha baby grand pianos on stage with the pianos players running the show. Every staff member of the Howl at the Moon is involved with entertaining the guests. There are staff "Show Time" routines at the bar or on stage, and some (with talent) even perform with the piano players.

.....Howl at the Moon is a place where you'll find "friends you have not met yet," with everyone drawn together by the camaraderie and nostalgia to form one large, synergistic party, swaying to the music, bellowing out familiar lyrics. It's a place for a good time ; for traveling business people and conventioneers in search of local color, and for people of all ages and occupations in the community. It's a perfect spot for birthdays, anniversaries, bachelor and bachelorette parties.

.....The "dueling piano sing-along" probably has it's modern origins at Pat O' Briens in New Orleans, but the true roots surely go back further. As long as there has been at least one person to lead a song, there has almost always been someone to sing, or howl a long.
Does not hurt to call ahead and reserve a table during the weekend.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:54 PM

Thanks, thats alot of suggestions to choose from. Personally, I like Mangroves and Hyde Park Cafe. This friend strikes me as someone who likes more hole in the wall places, local coffee shops, etc so I was thinking Ybor. Maybe we will do both!!

I forgot about Channelside, only been there for Splittsville and that tapas place, thanks for that suggestion Nic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
Why not take them out to Hyde Park - dinner at Mangrove's, Ceviche's, 717 South, Side Bern's and then check out Mangroves after 10pm, CHEAP, DrYnk, Hyde Park Cafe, The Rack, The Kennedy...just a suggestion.

Otherwise in Ybor if you dont want the hophop or under 25 places,I think most everything in Ybor is kind of "interesting"...you may want to check out Green Iguana, Gaspars Grotto, Czar. Depending on the night, and whats going on in the Club, there is also Prana and Level III. Reservior Bar, Dirty Shame, James Joyce Pub, and Boneyard draw some interesting people.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:46 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,915,211 times
During my last playtime in Ybor I found this TBOEXTRA.com :: Cabaret A Welcome Addition To Ybor had a good mix of people regarding sexual orientation as well as ages, very nice atmosphere. Somewhat talented performers, fun costumes, great atmosphere and very good audience participation.

Not sure of the address on that website as I entered from 7th, not 8th. Here is google map of it.

1915 E. 7th Avenue, Tampa, Florida 33605 - Google Maps

Just west of there on the north side of 7th I followed some music into a great little hole in the wall with a very attentive bar tender who also worked the tables. I forget the name of the band but don't think they were a house band. Very good whoever they were. So just walk the street and step into a place where you like the music. There's a pretty good variety in Ybor. Hard to imagine not finding a good time.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:07 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,779,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
During my last playtime in Ybor I found this TBOEXTRA.com :: Cabaret A Welcome Addition To Ybor had a good mix of people regarding sexual orientation as well as ages, very nice atmosphere. Somewhat talented performers, fun costumes, great atmosphere and very good audience participation.

Not sure of the address on that website as I entered from 7th, not 8th. Here is google map of it.
Just FYI, L'Olivers closed both the Ybor and St. Pete locations, suddenly. In Ybor it is now an authentic Indian Cafe with art gallery.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:00 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,915,211 times
Thanx tampaguy. Was just there not too long ago. Had fun. Was a full house when I was there. Bummer, I was looking forward to bringing out of towners.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
Thanx tampaguy. Was just there not too long ago. Had fun. Was a full house when I was there. Bummer, I was looking forward to bringing out of towners.
Agreed! That was a place I kept meaning to go to...too bad they closed down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay