U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 05:29 PM

9 posts, read 25,135 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to Tampa area soon, and while I've been in and around the area, I don't know all the neighborhoods and what not. I am open to St Petersburg, Brandon/Plant City, Clearwater and as far north as maybe Palm Harbor.

I'm hoping someone can break down the good/safe, bad/unsafe, and the ok/safe-to-moderately-safe neighborhoods via zip codes.

A few things I want (or don't want)

A decent place my kids can walk home from school without any danger coming to them.

Decent (re: GOOD) schools

Some local life aka bookstores, decent shopping, etc. within at least a 15 min. drive

No violent crimes that happen daily. I don't expect to be in Pleasantville, but I don't want to be afraid to walk out of my door. I've lived in Brooklyn and Baltimore, so I'd have to be really scared, fyi.

Close enough for either public transportation or a relatively decent drive to the city where I would probably be working (I work from home now).

Anything in the way of zip codes (because I don't know all the area names if they aren't an actual city) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 08:23 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,512,448 times
The problem with giving you zipcodes is that it can be very misleading. In some areas the difference between a pretty good neighborhood and a pretty bad one can be a matter of blocks. If I give you zip codes and say "these are the bad ones", someone will come along behind me and point out all the hidden gems in that zip, and vice versa - if I say "these are good zip codes", someone will remind me that it turns sketchy once you cross such and such street.

With that said - south Tampa (33609, 33629, 33611) would be a pretty safe bet and the school district is one of the most desired. There are areas that are walkable but those are relatively rare - cars are almost required here. There is some public transport but compared to Brooklyn or Baltimore you will find it laughable. It's also difficult to recommend an area when you don't know where you will be working yet. Commutes can be brutal so we always try to keep traffic in mind when making recommendations.

Here is a link to a zip code map for the Tampa area.

Tampa Zip Code (Zipcode) Map (http://www.florida-business-data.com/maps/zip-codes/Tampa.htm - broken link)

Old 03-09-2010, 08:55 AM

26,793 posts, read 41,495,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemari7 View Post
I may be moving to Tampa area soon, and while I've been in and around the area, I don't know all the neighborhoods and what not. I am open to St Petersburg, Brandon/Plant City, Clearwater and as far north as maybe Palm Harbor.

I'm hoping someone can break down the good/safe, bad/unsafe, and the ok/safe-to-moderately-safe neighborhoods via zip codes.

A few things I want (or don't want)

A decent place my kids can walk home from school without any danger coming to them. In the time we live in today, it is to me nowhere safe to let your kids walk by them self due to the amount of sex offenders. JMO! Most communities or areas have school buses picking up the kids at a certain area and that is much more safe.

Decent (re: GOOD) schools

There are school ratings for Florida schools but i found out that can be misleading because if your kid is above average the can be in honors classes or gifted advanged and that is not efflecting the ratings. Because in a regular class can be many kids who aren't interested to score well on the FCAT while in a specialized class the kids and teacher might be much more motivated which we experienced. Our kids have been in private and public schools and to me the public school system was way better.

Some local life aka bookstores, decent shopping, etc. within at least a 15 min. drive

Many places have that and you have to see what you like. Wesley Chapel has a mall and nice communities but is approx. 1 hour from the beach but property taxes are way lower and so is HO ins.....

No violent crimes that happen daily. I don't expect to be in Pleasantville, but I don't want to be afraid to walk out of my door. I've lived in Brooklyn and Baltimore, so I'd have to be really scared, fyi.

Sometimes you will see one street in a community that has problems and many times it is hand full of people causing it...it can be there when you move in or not, but you never know who moves in next to you after you start living some where...so you have to check the surrounding you like for example in Pasco county and go to the sheriffs website and click on subdivision activity Missing Page you can see all the call to the sheriff and get a feeling which community might be better for you.

Close enough for either public transportation or a relatively decent drive to the city where I would probably be working (I work from home now).

For that you have to be close to Down Town Tampa...

Anything in the way of zip codes (because I don't know all the area names if they aren't an actual city) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I agree with Tilly that you can't mention zipcodes, because it wouldn't be fair if it is just a few incidents....except for neighbor hoods close to I-275 and Fowler which are notorious for certain things...

Old 03-09-2010, 01:24 PM

207 posts, read 409,260 times
south Tampa is nice. but avoid south st.pete at all costs!! I have lived here for 7 years and listen to the lullaby of gun shots almost every night, have had 2 people killed in the alley behind my house, i have seen people driving down the road shooting at each other, and on 4th of july and new years it sounds like a war zone....we've had multiple bullets hit our roof. actually avoid st.pete all together. the beach communities are nice and most of clearwater is too. Dunedin is very nice that is my suggestion

Old 03-09-2010, 02:28 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,206,345 times
I agree with the above posts that zip codes can be misleading. Personally, if I were going to send my kid to a public school I would ONLY move to South Tampa and nowhere else, but thats just me, and I did quite a bit of research on public schools in the area. I was also told that Lutz and Palm Harbor have some good schools but I did not look into it.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:43 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,490,341 times
Yeah, I wouldn't rely on the ZIP codes too much. For school walkability, South Tampa is probably your best bet. Don't let people scare you about the sex offenders. They're out there, but it's not like they get together and have elaborate meetings on how they will abduct every single kid out on the street. That's just media hype.

St. Petersburg is generally quite nice, but be careful with South St. Pete, especially the area bordered by 1st Ave South, 4th St South, 54th Ave South, and 49th St South. Clearwater is nice, but fairly boring and, at least to me, architectually bland.

Brandon is middle-class suburbia at its finest, which is nice if you like that kind of thing, but utter hell if you don't. Lots of traffic.

Plant City is very agricultural and is more like Lakeland rather than Tampa. Don't live in Plant City if you have to commute to Pinellas County.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:12 AM

26,793 posts, read 41,495,113 times
[quote=ferret111;13228421]Yeah, I wouldn't rely on the ZIP codes too much. For school walkability, South Tampa is probably your best bet. Don't let people scare you about the sex offenders. They're out there, but it's not like they get together and have elaborate meetings on how they will abduct every single kid out on the street. That's just media hype.

QUOTE]

Tell that to a parent of a child who was molested....all these sex offenders were convicted for crimes against minors....look at the sex offender website....there are thousands...you can be naive or be cautious. Maybe you would say that the 2 girls discovered to be murdered and raped by the sex offender, this last week...was just a case far from home....

Last edited by bentlebee; 03-10-2010 at 05:46 AM..

Old 03-10-2010, 06:30 AM

265 posts, read 889,616 times
I'd try Zip code 78884, its a town in Texas named Utopia. That appears to be what your looking for...

Old 03-10-2010, 11:51 AM

207 posts, read 409,260 times
about the sex offenders....they may not have secret meetings but there are nearly 100 living in one trailer park by 54th ave and 28th st north in st.pete. last I checked, there were 97 a few months ago. stick with South Tampa or northern Pinellas county i.e. Dunedin or Palm Harbor.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:54 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,490,341 times
Quote:
Tell that to a parent of a child who was molested....all these sex offenders were convicted for crimes against minors....look at the sex offender website....there are thousands...you can be naive or be cautious. Maybe you would say that the 2 girls discovered to be murdered and raped by the sex offender, this last week...was just a case far from home....

Okay. I don't want to sound heartless, but that kind of stuff happens. You could live in fear that the minute you turn around, some offender will pop out of the bushes and molest your kids, or you can just live you life while still be alert and observant. Why would you want to live in a bubble?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or