U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 12:05 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,138,044 times

Advertisements

Europe is made out of completely different countries...So, that alone will not make it EQUAL to the US, therefore such comparison is uncalled for...different cultures, languages, stores etc.. all the 50 states are NOT independent countries here, they all respond to the same constitution...Each European country has its own constitution and laws regarding everything from employment to street signs....In the US English has been the main language for over 200 years and Spanish followed and that's it, in Europe all those countries have spoken their native languages for thousands of years and a few other languages on a aside, that is a fact, few europeans speak just their native language...however, people from Greece who want to work in Italy for example will have a lot more paper work to go through before being able to work there, way before the language itself becomes an issue, there are a lot of construction workers for example who work in Dubai and who are from Spain, Poland etc, they all get along either in English or they learn the language of the country they work in....that Wiki study is useless because from the getgo it compares apples and oranges....European Union doesn't mean "the United States of Europe"! and they also didn't pick One language for everyone to speak there...and is also missinformed...drop in on any school in any European country at any given time and you will find "English" in their curicullum...
That is their conclusion based on the "outside" theory that Because they speak different languages that automatically makes it harder to hop from country to country for work....that's not the case in reality...it is actually each country's working laws for foreigners who make it harder to hop from on country to another and for sure you're not going to hear a Greek say: "Ohh if I only knew Italian, I could work there!"....if a Greek wants to work there, he/she will have to look for jobs, get a permit to work in Italy which takes a WHILE and while he's waiting for that permit he learns Italian....that's what people do there!
Stay on topic...your personal opinion on me or other members here is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 01:17 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,912,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post

"On the business side, tourism generates more than $6 trillion annually worldwide and supports one in 12 jobs. Seven million of those jobs are in the United States. In Florida — with its abundance of natural and manmade attractions — tourism is crucial. More than 84.5 million people from within the U.S. and throughout the world visit the state each year. Those tourists help provide approximately 1 million workers with jobs and create $65 billion in tourism/recreation taxable sales, making tourism Florida’s No. 1 industry."

http://www.floridatomorrow.ufl.edu/gallery/e_pubs/HHP_CFT.pdf (broken link)
Yes, Well the Florida Tourism Boards all say the same thing. I suppose it depends on who you believe is the more objective, the tourism boards or the US Dept of Commerce.

It could be the tourism boards stake claim to all the spin offs: time shares built, bus service, etc., though there is no reason to believe that wouldn't accompany any more sustainable industry such as, say, biotech or other types of manufacturing. If you look at the chart I posted which shows leisure as just 6% of our economy, manufacturing here is seriously lacking.

And for the leisure services we do provide, while it adds to state tax receipts, I'm not so certain it helps, job wise, the entire state. Just look at this map Brookings - Quality. Independence. Impact. which clearly shows Orlando benefiting over the rest of the state in regard to GDP (or what they refer to as MDP (metro instead of gross).

Certainly tourism is hugely important here and always will be. As is construction. But Florida needs more sustainable industry. Industry which actually produces something, not just housing and not just a good time. Florida needs to spend less of its tax payer's money on subsidies, to offer less tax breaks for developers and the likes of Disney, and it should instead use that money to encourage businesses which will weather better these serious downturns.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:05 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,962,685 times
Yeah, but that is not what the charts are saying so it has to be wrong.

Not that it makes a difference that Florida has, from at least the start of the 20th century, been a tourist destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post

"On the business side, tourism generates more than $6 trillion annually worldwide and supports one in 12 jobs. Seven million of those jobs are in the United States. In Florida — with its abundance of natural and manmade attractions — tourism is crucial. More than 84.5 million people from within the U.S. and throughout the world visit the state each year. Those tourists help provide approximately 1 million workers with jobs and create $65 billion in tourism/recreation taxable sales, making tourism Florida’s No. 1 industry."

http://www.floridatomorrow.ufl.edu/gallery/e_pubs/HHP_CFT.pdf (broken link)

Old 03-18-2010, 04:25 PM

26,760 posts, read 41,192,905 times
According to what I have heard from my child...many teachers at his High school will loose their job at the end of this school year due to a huge cut in the budget

Old 03-18-2010, 05:58 PM

877 posts, read 1,687,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
To clarify the Europe misconception:

1. there are NO language barriers
2. English is taught and mandatory along with either French or Spanish or German depending on what the school has chosen or it's profile, in my school English & French were mandatory
3. ANYWHERE you go in Europe and also Japan & South Korea you can ask anyone if they speak "English" and they will say YES and help you with whatever! In Miami you ca die in the street and unless you ask for help in Spanish you may just die there!
4. In Europe if we want to work in another country we have enough respect for that country to first learn it' s language! we don't go to France and expect them to speak German for us because we're too "precious" and won't learn the language for the country we choose to live in!
There is more to language than being able to carry on a conversation with a stranger in a street. For example, I doubt someone who grew up in Germany would have an easy time being a Trial Attorney in France even if they were "fluent" in French. There are subtleties and nuances to language that are just very difficult to learn if it is not your native language. That is a barrier that does not really exist in the U.S.

Moderator cut: keep it about the topic

Last edited by Keeper; 03-21-2010 at 04:31 PM..

Old 03-18-2010, 06:51 PM

Yes it exists here too for anyone who lives in Florida, Arizona, California etc and does not speak Spanish! My husband was born and raised here, does not speak Spanish and had a very dificult time finding jobs in SFLA....Was that written clear enough? I am not a writer nor pretend to be one but I am glad to see that the main thing in this thread seems to be "MY Writting"....LOL..however I am not sure what was that you didn't understand from my post? I had a Numbered list!?

Anyway,
The other "cultural" difference is that in Europe a lawyer will not look for work as a general manager @ a grocery store...and at that level I am pretty sure that a German lawyer will not expect the laws to be the same in France! nor the "words" used...of course you learn the language speak/read/write and you learn all the vocabulary pertinent to your profession also! Who said anything about learning basic conversation here? I didn't say that nor referred to that....who does that for work purposes anyway? That is for tourists....In schools there foreign languages are taught in their entirety (read/write/speak/pronunciation...) we also study English or French or whatever language literature...poetry etc...we don't just learn the words!!!

Old 03-19-2010, 05:20 AM

So what will it happen then? are subjects of study cut? which ones? classes mixed together? r the kids supposed to go to another HS?

.....and......IF the budget is cut (assuming this is a Public school) then it's cut everywhere else in Florida/Tampa.....right? so what r these teachers going to do? move to another state? work as servers? I am asking obviously because I went to a Public school back in Europe and had the same teachers from 5th grade to 12.....AND, thanks to some of my colleagues on Facebook who post photos, some of those teachers who did not retire, r still teaching there.......20+ years later.....

I am sorry I just don't understand why this moving around keeps taking place, what is the final purpose for this? we liked having the same teachers all through school...why is that so impossible here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
According to what I have heard from my child...many teachers at his High school will loose their job at the end of this school year due to a huge cut in the budget

Old 03-19-2010, 06:15 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,037,844 times
Quote:
Businesses are present for PROFIT! not loss
Energy efficiency projects are performed for one main reason: to save the user money. If a project is only economical if installed at $20 an hour but the installer needs $50 an hour, then no projects will be performed. It's that simple.

As contractor costs have increased, there is less demand for their services.

Moderator cut: personal attack

Last edited by Keeper; 03-21-2010 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: do not call other posters ignorant

Old 03-19-2010, 09:19 AM

Energy efficiency is not yet popular.....that is UNFORTUNATE to say the least....which is why it is expensive and directed to a category of consumers who UNDERSTAND the importance of being energy efficient. IF we owned this home, we would pay the $5000+ that it would cost to install solar panels for everything and kill the electric bill all together, we would also change our roof color to white to keep the heat down........

This will INDEED SAVE US money in the long run.

Until this will be very popular it is not likely that the prices would go down. It is a long process to install and it doesn't take 1 day of work to get that done, which is why it is still costly. I agree that MAYBE if it was more affordable more people would use it, however the transient nature of the American society (meaning people moving around way too much in general for jobs and such) may keep people from going to that extent and is probably reason why this is so expensive still.

Catch22 for sure......

Price elasticity does depend greatly on the industry! and also the competition levels in that industry....some can afford to lower their prices some can't go too low due to their own costs which need to be addressed as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
Energy efficiency projects are performed for one main reason: to save the user money. If a project is only economical if installed at $20 an hour but the installer needs $50 an hour, then no projects will be performed. It's that simple.

As contractor costs have increased, there is less demand for their services.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-21-2010 at 04:32 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 10:04 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,962,685 times
Everyone? I know several people in South FL (Dade and Broward Counties) who do not speak a word of Spanish and apparently did not have problems getting a job or living down there.

For as long as I can remember U.S. schools taught languages starting in 7th grade. I think now they start them much much earlier. We had a choice when I was in Junior High: French, Spanish or German.
Not too many kids took German as it was a school populated mostly with kids from Jewish families. French was very popular though.
This linguistic teaching when onto the end of high school.

Quote:
Yes it exists here too for anyone who lives in Florida, Arizona, California etc and does not speak Spanish! My husband was born and raised here, does not speak Spanish and had a very dificult time finding jobs in SFLA....Was that written clear enough? I am not a writer nor pretend to be one but I am glad to see that the main thing in this thread seems to be "MY Writting"....LOL..however I am not sure what was that you didn't understand from my post? I had a Numbered list!?

Anyway,
The other "cultural" difference is that in Europe a lawyer will not look for work as a general manager @ a grocery store...and at that level I am pretty sure that a German lawyer will not expect the laws to be the same in France! nor the "words" used...of course you learn the language speak/read/write and you learn all the vocabulary pertinent to your profession also! Who said anything about learning basic conversation here? I didn't say that nor referred to that....who does that for work purposes anyway? That is for tourists....In schools there foreign languages are taught in their entirety (read/write/speak/pronunciation...) we also study English or French or whatever language literature...poetry etc...we don't just learn the words!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or