U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-19-2010, 10:43 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 8,184,610 times
Reputation: 2141

Advertisements

maybe not "everyone"...but most people are forced to speak Spanish down there if they want a decent job, we didn't have problems "living" down there......just finding jobs.....everyone we knew down there moved to TN and NC!

Private schools? or Public? the schools I encountered here were "teaching" in both Spanish & English, but did not have a dedicated class just for Spanish, German, Italian etc....I am guessing because of that "budget" thing again, where all these may be considered unimportant "extras"! I think private schools have this in separate classes....but not the Public ones and if they do it is probably just Spanish...and I will have to check further anyway to see if they just teach the "words" or they study other languages literature etc as well..... because these are 2 different things....I would like my kids to learn more than just the "words"....
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-19-2010, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 14,045,792 times
Reputation: 6028
No jobs in TN or NC either.


Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
maybe not "everyone"...but most people are forced to speak Spanish down there if they want a decent job, we didn't have problems "living" down there......just finding jobs.....everyone we knew down there moved to TN and NC!

Private schools? or Public? the schools I encountered here were "teaching" in both Spanish & English, but did not have a dedicated class just for Spanish, German, Italian etc....I am guessing because of that "budget" thing again, where all these may be considered unimportant "extras"! I think private schools have this in separate classes....but not the Public ones and if they do it is probably just Spanish...and I will have to check further anyway to see if they just teach the "words" or they study other languages literature etc as well..... because these are 2 different things....I would like my kids to learn more than just the "words"....
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2010, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 14,045,792 times
Reputation: 6028
You say "everyone" and "most people" but that is not true.

I took Spanish in Public School in NYC in the early 1970s into the mid 70's in high school. This was way before "english as a second language" classes. Yes, a separate class. After a couple of years of learning it when you walked in the classroom no English was spoken. Everything in the language of study. We learned conversational Spanish. Conjugation and all that stuff. I do not know what they do today, but from what I understand they are teaching 2nd and 3rd languages early in the school life of the children.

Let me know what you find out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
maybe not "everyone"...but most people are forced to speak Spanish down there if they want a decent job, we didn't have problems "living" down there......just finding jobs.....everyone we knew down there moved to TN and NC!

Private schools? or Public? the schools I encountered here were "teaching" in both Spanish & English, but did not have a dedicated class just for Spanish, German, Italian etc....I am guessing because of that "budget" thing again, where all these may be considered unimportant "extras"! I think private schools have this in separate classes....but not the Public ones and if they do it is probably just Spanish...and I will have to check further anyway to see if they just teach the "words" or they study other languages literature etc as well..... because these are 2 different things....I would like my kids to learn more than just the "words"....
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2010, 01:28 PM
 
5,453 posts, read 8,184,610 times
Reputation: 2141
right, now they don't either LOL, but both those states are also not Hispanic inclined, if you look at demographics compared to FL...we moved out of SFLA 8 years ago....our friends back then have not had an issue with jobs in NC & TN,..but again that was 8 years ago......

Ok, the elementary (public) school my kids go too they don't have any separate classes, they only had "enrichment" classes last year, but not this year, and ONLY Spanish was taught and parents had to pay extra! the other "enrichment classes" were math related!

Remember education in the 70's was still educational, LOL... and not just for TEST purposes like it is today in Florida/Tampa..........


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
No jobs in TN or NC either.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2010, 01:29 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,200 times
Reputation: 10
Angry the gall of some people

I know someone who just quit there job in RI making 20 something an hour just because they wanted to move to florida now they are sponging off of florida collecting welfare I do not understand how they can get welfare when they quit their job because they frigin felt like it to go down to fl with no job and then to tell welfare this and get handed everything ..unbelievable then u have people who r desperate for a job who cant get one and this person just up and quits ...and people that do work dont qualify for some help from the state it just reeally bugs me.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2010, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 14,045,792 times
Reputation: 6028
Yes, things are different now for sure. We didnt have metal detectors at shool then either.

I guess budgetary problems have caused a lot of these important courses of study to disappear. Too bad.

I find it strange that a lot of people who graduated the Florida education system and stayed in the system through college and beyond have become lawyers, doctors, engineers, accountants and about every profession you could imagine although the school system here is so poor.
I think it has a lot more to do with the students than the schools themselves.



Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
right, now they don't either LOL, but both those states are also not Hispanic inclined, if you look at demographics compared to FL...we moved out of SFLA 8 years ago....our friends back then have not had an issue with jobs in NC & TN,..but again that was 8 years ago......

Ok, the elementary (public) school my kids go too they don't have any separate classes, they only had "enrichment" classes last year, but not this year, and ONLY Spanish was taught and parents had to pay extra! the other "enrichment classes" were math related!

Remember education in the 70's was still educational, LOL... and not just for TEST purposes like it is today in Florida/Tampa..........
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2010, 01:44 PM
 
5,453 posts, read 8,184,610 times
Reputation: 2141
BTW this is a A rated school too........

A school is only as good as the parents are involved with homework! that's it, that's how people become lawyers and doctors etc.......No PTA Meeting is going to raise kids grades!

I think they say the school system is poor because what is actually taught nowadays is just whatever will be given at those tests and nothing more, only very expensive private schools have better curriculum, the public ones are subject to budget cuts and never have additional classes that teach languages, any culture other than "football" etc.....if the kids are helped by the parents to study etc then they will have better chances of becoming successful and have high paying careers etc.....the problem is that parents these days are stressed with work related issues and have less and less time to assign to their kids homework, lots go to after school and play until 6pm.....instead of being home quietly learning and most of all understanding whatever they need to learn.......

look at this:
Could school bus ads save school budgets? - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100319/ap_on_bi_ge/us_school_bus_ads - broken link)

and all this while "some people" you know who from my older posts make millions that are sitting hostage in bank accounts or are spent on useless jewelry and other frivolous items, OR spent on travel by private planes by the local Gov!!!! the gas alone for one of those planes could fund a few "enrichment classes" permanently in a school!!!!

From my perspective, as an outsider to this school system, (since my school was also public but never had such issues).........it seems as tho there is no concern for education here anymore........unless you spend thousands for private schools, or want to be in debt forever doing that, there isn't much to choose from!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Yes, things are different now for sure. We didnt have metal detectors at shool then either.

I guess budgetary problems have caused a lot of these important courses of study to disappear. Too bad.

I find it strange that a lot of people who graduated the Florida education system and stayed in the system through college and beyond have become lawyers, doctors, engineers, accountants and about every profession you could imagine although the school system here is so poor.
I think it has a lot more to do with the students than the schools themselves.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2010, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Spring Hill Florida
12,135 posts, read 14,045,792 times
Reputation: 6028
I do agree with your take on the schools. Yes, its dependent on the parents, not just the schools.

Gee, I agree with everything you wrote.




Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
BTW this is a A rated school too........

A school is only as good as the parents are involved with homework! that's it, that's how people become lawyers and doctors etc.......No PTA Meeting is going to raise kids grades!

I think they say the school system is poor because what is actually taught nowadays is just whatever will be given at those tests and nothing more, only very expensive private schools have better curriculum, the public ones are subject to budget cuts and never have additional classes that teach languages, any culture other than "football" etc.....if the kids are helped by the parents to study etc then they will have better chances of becoming successful and have high paying careers etc.....the problem is that parents these days are stressed with work related issues and have less and less time to assign to their kids homework, lots go to after school and play until 6pm.....instead of being home quietly learning and most of all understanding whatever they need to learn.......

look at this:
Could school bus ads save school budgets? - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100319/ap_on_bi_ge/us_school_bus_ads - broken link)

and all this while "some people" you know who from my older posts make millions that are sitting hostage in bank accounts or are spent on useless jewelry and other frivolous items, OR spent on travel by private planes by the local Gov!!!! the gas alone for one of those planes could fund a few "enrichment classes" permanently in a school!!!!

From my perspective, as an outsider to this school system, (since my school was also public but never had such issues).........it seems as tho there is no concern for education here anymore........unless you spend thousands for private schools, or want to be in debt forever doing that, there isn't much to choose from!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2010, 11:37 PM
 
96 posts, read 232,984 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
Perhaps if you spent a bit less energy being pernicious by calling me genius, twice, and instead put forth a little more effort into understanding a topic, especially when someone bothers to explain it to you, you’d be able to grasp what the unemployment rate actually means. You can't just throw away the unemployment rate to discuss job opportunities.

I haven’t twisted a thing but because of your attitude, this will be my last attempt to kindly explain to you in a straightforward fashion: The higher the unemployment rate, by definition of unemployment rate, the less job opportunities exist, regardless of how many jobs you find advertised (and I don't care what source you use to find them). If there were more job opportunities, then the unemployment rate would decrease.

Say you find 3040 jobs in Tampa but only 1,973 jobs in Austin. This does not mean that there are more job opportunties in Tampa than there are in Austin. Why? Because for one thing, the populations are not equal. Tampa area has a workforce of 1,304,700 civilians while Austin area has 903,200. So even if all else was equal. Then you have 35% more job openings advertised but in an area that has 30% more workers.

So even if you only take into account the number of workers in an area without considering the economies of each area, you don’t even have the 35% more job openings you might have thought you have, but only 5% more job openings, at quick glance, based upon ratios of populations to jobs available.

But it isn’t even 5% better in Tampa; it is worse in Tampa. Why? Because the unemployment rate (which you seem to insist on casually tossing away) is real. You can not just throw it away. What it is telling you is that jobs have been lost which used to exist in an area. The people are still there, but the jobs are gone. In fact, the unemployment rates of both Tampa & Austin tell us that there are more unemployed workers here than there are there.

Here it is on paper. Do not fault me for using the careerbuilder numbers. They don’t matter. This is just to illustrate a point (also I’m using the Dec 2009 BLS numbers, though, as shown in the title of this thread, it is even worse here now).

Tampa has 1,304,700 workers and 12.4% unemployment which means that 161,782 people are out of work and going after those 3,040 jobs advertised on some web site. So for everyone who gets on of those Tampa jobs, 53 Tampa workers go home jobless.

Austin has 903,200 workers and 6.9% unemployment which means that 62,320 people are out of work and going after those 1,973 jobs (per the same web site). So for everyone who gets one of those Austin jobs, 31 Austin workers go home jobless.

If 53 go home jobless in Tampa and 31 go home jobless in Austin then Tampa’s job opportunities are 42% worse than they are Austin's, even though you found more jobs here on your online search.

And just to see how math actually did work, for funzies, as those numbers just landed as they did by plugging in the available empirical information, you’ll notice that in the earlier post I said, that Tampa is 45% worse off than Austin just based upon the unemployment rates.

So what you say, that there are more “job opportunities” here is not true, rather what is true is that there are less opportunities here, because the competition here is greater and the economy has been harder hit.
Again its all about job opportunities and the Tampa area has plenty of them. I lived in many places with low unemployment rates and had trouble finding work due to limited job opportunities in those areas. Im working with 3 recruiters in the Tampa area and all of them reported an increase in job requisitions in the past 6 weeks. In fact there were 5 different perfect fit job opportunites in the past 4 months that matched my NE salary. Recruiters stated in all 5 of these jobs employers were having difficulty finding someone with the proper IT skillsets. So not like anyone was waiting in line for an interview for these positions. I didn't want to take any of those jobs since we're waiting for our short sale to close and didn't feel like renting in Tampa since we sold our home 2 years ago. In fact 5 months ago the one recruiter lined up a job paying $110,000 YR. That one I just had to go for and I passed my tech interview then drove down for the all day interview. Recruiters said 4 others were competing for the job and 1 dropped out. I didn't get it since the other guy/girl had more experience in one area and was a better fit. My wife can't wait to get down there and is excited about the many Tampa job opportunities. So I think I get it. Monster is a fraud. They are all fake ads. The recruiters I work with are all in "kahoots" with Monster in order to get me down there have 0.0 job and short sale my house in 6 months due to the horrible Tampa unemployment rate and fake Monster job postings. So all your research, makes 0.0 sense to me as far as job opportunities in the Tampa area. Sounds like you lost your job and can't find one. Think positive !
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2010, 05:27 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,510 posts, read 3,453,105 times
Reputation: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_Guy View Post
Again its all about job opportunities and the Tampa area has plenty of them. I lived in many places with low unemployment rates and had trouble finding work due to limited job opportunities in those areas. Im working with 3 recruiters in the Tampa area and all of them reported an increase in job requisitions in the past 6 weeks. In fact there were 5 different perfect fit job opportunites in the past 4 months that matched my NE salary. Recruiters stated in all 5 of these jobs employers were having difficulty finding someone with the proper IT skillsets. So not like anyone was waiting in line for an interview for these positions. I didn't want to take any of those jobs since we're waiting for our short sale to close and didn't feel like renting in Tampa since we sold our home 2 years ago. In fact 5 months ago the one recruiter lined up a job paying $110,000 YR. That one I just had to go for and I passed my tech interview then drove down for the all day interview. Recruiters said 4 others were competing for the job and 1 dropped out. I didn't get it since the other guy/girl had more experience in one area and was a better fit. My wife can't wait to get down there and is excited about the many Tampa job opportunities. So I think I get it. Monster is a fraud. They are all fake ads. The recruiters I work with are all in "kahoots" with Monster in order to get me down there have 0.0 job and short sale my house in 6 months due to the horrible Tampa unemployment rate and fake Monster job postings. So all your research, makes 0.0 sense to me as far as job opportunities in the Tampa area. Sounds like you lost your job and can't find one. Think positive !
Well.....who would know more specifics about the job availability situation in Florida/Tampa than someone who is in the information loop and actually competing/interviewing for jobs that require technical skills......thanks for the accurate update. Whats absolutely hilarious about this thread is posters from out of state from 1000s of miles away feeling the need to report on the Florida/Tampa job availability situation when they have no actual current personal involvement in a job search there to actually know whats going on first hand ? Providing inaccurate negative information doesn't help anyone and only serves to fuel the impression that things are worse than they really are when in reality theres improvement.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top