Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 01:15 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,164,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Pretty sure Rick Scott is going to be a one term Gov... and he knows it.
I'm torn though....

I keep looking at Arnold Schwarzenegger's final 17% approval rating (and he was a likable guy) -- and I can't decide if Rick will end up around 11% or down in the single digits....

What do you think? Do you think a 9% approval rating might be too high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 02:37 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,595,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
florida is heavily over regulated, maybe not in a labor sense but there are stupid rules for just about everything else. while that might not be a problem for huge conglomerates, for a small business trying to start, these regulations present a huge and often fatal impediment to small business
So true!!! Mega rep points for you.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:44 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,595,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
I'm quoting an old message, but this is still so true, even a year later. In general I've found that reputable contractors (licensed, insured, good BBB rating and/or solid references) aren't interested in work- especially smaller jobs.

I called two companies about replacing a 50 foot run of fence. One never answered their phone so I finally left a msg and never got a call back. The other came out but gave what I felt was a high quote. However, he'll probably get my business- I don't mind paying for a good job. However, I *DO* mind people acting like they could care less about my business.

I called someone about some roof repair and they never called back so I called again and eventually heard from them about a week later. It has been several days since they came out, and no quote yet.

Call me nuts but this doesn't seem to be the behavior of people who have starving families. Perhaps they have scaled back their operations and just don't want the jobs now, I really don't know. I'm sure I could find some guy willing to work who has his phone number spray painted on the tailgate of his truck, but of course when that guy falls off my roof and he sues for more than my HO policy will cover, guess who will be in the poor house then?
I don't think anyone is against paying a fare wage. BUT, as an independent contractor, I've been used and screwed and so has many of my colleagues. I have a neighbor who's a general contractor. He's bid on work, got the job, done the job, and then the person who agreed to pay, in writing, decides to pay less. Then what? Go to small claims court? There are just too many people with little regard or respect for others and their craft or intellect. Not directing this to you personally, but those of us with battle scars are less trusting than in years past. There aren't many who will or can do the work required up front in advance on the basis of maybe getting paid.

In addition, the cost of liability and errors and omissions insurance on contractors is practically obscene and must be factored into bids.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 03-10-2011 at 03:16 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 03:02 PM

428 posts, read 1,242,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
the banks have so much real estate inventory yet you wait weeks for a response. nobody answers their phones or returns messages. my pet peeve is that nobody has a price. there always has to be this long drawn out negotiation process before you know how much something's gonna cost
So, one has to wonder... how much does this type of stuff hamper a recovery? Short sales are notorious for taking forever... most people who have a timeframe in mind won't even mess with them.

Virtually everyone has a story or two in regard to this. In my case it is the house next door that has been on the market two years, with the banks involved turning down an offer last year that was much more than the current listing price. I see people looking at that house every single day. Buyers are out there.

Conjecture: streamline short sales and move that inventory, and factor out the non-serious sellers, and maybe we're not as bad off as we think? I define a non-serious seller as anyone who has had their house on the market for a year or more at pre-bubble prices. These are wishful thinkers that don't have a critical reason to sell (e.g. moving for work)... if I were a realtor I wouldn't even bother listing such a property.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:14 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,205,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
So, one has to wonder... how much does this type of stuff hamper a recovery? Short sales are notorious for taking forever... most people who have a timeframe in mind won't even mess with them.

Virtually everyone has a story or two in regard to this. In my case it is the house next door that has been on the market two years, with the banks involved turning down an offer last year that was much more than the current listing price. I see people looking at that house every single day. Buyers are out there.

Conjecture: streamline short sales and move that inventory, and factor out the non-serious sellers, and maybe we're not as bad off as we think? I define a non-serious seller as anyone who has had their house on the market for a year or more at pre-bubble prices. These are wishful thinkers that don't have a critical reason to sell (e.g. moving for work)... if I were a realtor I wouldn't even bother listing such a property.
there is very little the gov can do to sort out the re crisis here and i don't think it has much of an impact on unemployment. my point was just that many people are moaning about business, yet there are many who are their own obstacles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay