U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 07:17 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,096,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debnova View Post
As a Tampa native I grew up eating SM, love it! The Mullet Inn on the Causeway is long gone, but well remembered and I have yet to get mullet as good, but found a few places.

In North East Tampa, Thonnotassa area (sp?) there is a guy who sells good ones. Go North on hwy.301, past Fowler (goes to USF Uni.) and there is a small gass station on right side (east) who sells a couple days a week. Def sells on fridays. I believe he has a white concession trailer. His name is Mr. Harris.

Also, there is a seafood store on 15th and Lake ave. Not a great area of town, but a thriving business there. It's called Oriental Fish Co., 3608 N. 15th St. # c. 33605, phone is: 813-247-5128. Have FRESH fish there, too. Reasonable prices. I like a little less seasoning than they do, but it's good. Believe they have it on Thurs, Fri, Sat.

There was a guy on 301, just north of MLK, but his mullet was not so good. Hiss BBQ is, but I actually hated his mullet. Tasted like it was on the smoker about 5 minutes, wrong sauce. I believe he really didn't know the old-style recipe and cooking method, IMHO.
Of course there is always Ted Peters in St. Pete. Awesome place, higher prices but very good and very realiable. It's famous for a reason.
*****NOTE: Most Sweetbays will carry frozen Smoked Mullet, BUT, generally they hold it back and YOU HAVE TO REQUEST them to get it. Done this before. IMHO I think Skippers SM is mediocre. Too small, dried out and too much money for such a small one. But, it is available there.

Hey, hope this helps. Look for the guy on north 301 and maybe inquire at the station about his hours. He carries some NICE BBQ as well.
I'm getting some from him tomorrow and another tampa native and I are gonna enjoy us some mullet!!!! Good Luck to all!
Thanks for this, I'm going to check it out on Sunday. I have had it at Fat Willies a while ago as someone mentioned, it was middle of the road, not bad but not stellar.

Kind of weird seeing this thread back on the front page but... I like it

I never had smoked mullet, nor knew of it, till I moved down here from Buffalo. Then again, we have food up there that people from down here have never heard of. Thanks again for any and all replies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay