U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,408 times

Advertisements

has anyone had natural gas service installed in their home and lived to regret it? i am considering having TECO/Peoples put a meter on my property and hiring a plumber to put a gas line to my appliances. however this would be very expensive and in addition, they'd have to tear up my driveway and patio. do you think it's worth it?

i do prefer to cook with gas, which is why i am considering this

however do you think the destruction and expense is worth it?

(i am not considering propane b/c it's too much of a wild card with oil prices etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 03:51 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,138,953 times
YES, WE DID AND WILL NEVER GET THAT AGAIN WHILE LIVING IN FLORIDA OR ANYWHERE ELSE FOR THAT MATTER.......the price of gas at the pump goes up, so will yours.........don't do it.........we got a $400 bill in March of 2008......and I am not running my washing machine or dishwasher 24/7...it was the water heather and the heat that were going with gas........NEVER AGAIN! I lived in Europe 27 years with winters and snow and never paid this much ever!

Old 03-17-2010, 09:28 AM

214 posts, read 616,956 times
I'm no gourmet cook but I find natural gas much easier to cook with than electric.

Algia's story is pretty spooky - I pay $55 per month year around in Chicago on a "budget" plan for heating and cooking (natural) gas. And you'd think they'd gouge us up here more than they would gouge people in FLA. Better doublecheck the rates down there.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:50 AM

Tell me about it......we were shocked and when we called them they told us that the "gas" prices went up!!!! this was Heritage Propane BTW....and pretty much hung up on us! I still have that bill somewhere....

Old 03-17-2010, 10:01 AM

8,488 posts, read 18,571,181 times
If it was propane when was the last time you had your tank filled before then and how much was it?

Old 03-17-2010, 12:44 PM

162 posts, read 606,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucat78 View Post
I'm no gourmet cook but I find natural gas much easier to cook with than electric.

Algia's story is pretty spooky - I pay $55 per month year around in Chicago on a "budget" plan for heating and cooking (natural) gas. And you'd think they'd gouge us up here more than they would gouge people in FLA. Better doublecheck the rates down there.
I paid 4 times that just for gas when I lived in PA - and that was just for heating and hot water. I found those prices fluctuated frequently also.

I went with all electric here but I much prefer and terribly miss gas for cooking. I found it difficult to find natural gas when we were home shopping. Propane is easier but there are limitations on the tanks and rules about burying them versus having external ones.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:30 AM

214 posts, read 616,956 times
To clarify - I use natural gas - comes out of a pipeline from Texas or somewhere (LOL!) and smells like rotten eggs after they add the stink to it. I do not use propane except for a small tank on my patio grill.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:38 AM

8,488 posts, read 18,571,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucat78 View Post
To clarify - I use natural gas - comes out of a pipeline from Texas or somewhere (LOL!) and smells like rotten eggs after they add the stink to it. I do not use propane except for a small tank on my patio grill.
I was actually questioning algia because $400 for propane seemed like am awful lot unless she is going through 200 gallons a month.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:54 AM

Mike, it was actually $488.64, this was the last month we lived in the home that foreclosed on us...we didn't even run the heat that month more than probably 2 days since it was all nice outside and there was no need, this was March...I don't even wash the laundry with hot water...only cold and sometimes very rarely I use the warm setting and the dishwasher I only run it a few times a week, this was when the gas went over $4 a gallon also......the least we paid in those 4 months was $280......I can call them and get copies of all the bills so you can see for yourself if you want.....ohh, let me mention this too for reference......we got charged $250 extra because one night we came home and smelled gas, (I had gas back in Europe, so I am more than familiar with the smell) so we called them up and had them come out and check, the guy came out, tied some stuff and left and the next bill had the $250 charge on it on top of the actual $320 or so that was that month ! IT WAS CRAZY! which is why I don't want to ever have this again........ if we move to cold country up north I will have everything electric and will avoid gas like the plague. We're not gourmet cooks so I could care less if the stove was gas or electric......I rather spend $400 in a fancy restaurant than on a gas bill.

PS we never had to fill the tank ourselves, there is a tank for each block of homes here.......

Old 03-18-2010, 04:40 PM

15,779 posts, read 32,923,155 times
I have had natural gas at a couple of homes where it was already available. It is economical IF you are going to have more than one appliance hooked up to it. If not, you are better with all electric.

I wouldn't go through all that tearing up the driveway. I am happy enough with my smoothtop electric stove, I am down here in Manatee County with FPL, and my electric rates are very low compared to any I have ever had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay