U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 11:06 PM

4,123 posts, read 9,449,052 times

Advertisements

Considering a move. Just about to finish up college at a state college in NJ.

Willing to do just about anything for work. I will have an Economics degree and I am considering going into insurance. But really, open to just about any kind of professional job.

I know economy is bad, but its rough all over and things seem to be starting to turn around. I interview well, and have good references/work history (in NJ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 07:27 PM

15 posts, read 36,116 times
It's very tough, but not impossible. Networking is the key.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:55 AM

603 posts, read 934,042 times
There seem to be a lot of people working in insurance around the Tampa area, so that might be a good bet for you. USAA has a big office here.

Also, there are some finance companies such as Raymond James that might be worth a look.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:32 AM

34 posts, read 124,274 times
I find that in Florida generally, the key is not only identifying job opportunities but competing well for them. Due to its desirability, there are not shortages of people that want to come here and additionally wish to be compensated well. As a result its not uncommon to see someone with say an MBA from top tier university working in a job where in other locations a person with a bachelors degree would hold that same job. Also, Florida does seem to focus on academic credentials quite a bit so prepare yourself as well as you can from that perspective.

Bottom line is that its great that you have strong references and a degree but coming here without a job is a challenge as you are yet another unemployed displaced northerner with no distinct advantage over anyone else. You need to figure out what it is about you that makes you different and get some good leads.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:12 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,973,970 times
i know someone who got laid off from a $130K a year job. he is now waiting tables.

It is really about knowing someone. With the economy the was it is, the good 'ol boy system is in full effect.

Most people that I have met that are NEW to tampa are people who were transferred here by their current employer.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:41 PM

792 posts, read 2,084,564 times
As long as your willing to do physical work for a living, you should be fine.

The glitzy "professional" career, that you have envisioned, is probably not going to pan out for you. We have too many pencial pushers here already who want to draw a big paycheck and sit behind a desk. They are a dime a dozen.

We need physical laborers, not office drones. Even better yet, learn a trade like electrician or plumbing or automotive mechanic. Those guys make very good money and are in short supply.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:49 PM

1,443 posts, read 2,647,593 times
Dont be put off, you should be prepared for lots of closed doors though, but you only need one to get going. All grads are finding it hard to get on the work ladder, its a dreadful time for young workers.
You may have to settle for a modest job to get going, that is what we are telling our children who have some years in college left to do. You are probably better off looking closer to home to start off with, jobs are no better here than anywhere else, and once you have a job, you have the chance to make a career path. The grass is not greener here sadly, wish that it were. Good luck to you, and if you can't find work, reconsider and maybe go back and get your masters or a teaching cert so you can at least teach what you have learnt already

Old 04-07-2010, 02:01 PM

214 posts, read 617,743 times
Think back to Econ 101 - Law of Supply and Demand.

When I was a hiring manager, I had such a large pool of local qualified candidates that I rarely considered even talking with somebody from out of town. Why pay to bring them in, etc?

There are thousands of highly qualified and well educated people with experience looking for jobs right now. Can you differentiate yourself in such a way that a manager would hire you over anybody else? (Like Craig, I know a former $100K+ per year manager who is now stocking shelves at a hardware store for $8.50 an hour.)

Ok, having said that, I think Lavender's comments are sound. If you want to live in Florida badly enough, you can do it, but it could mean working hourly or part-time until the economy swings back. (A young lady who I recommended to take a management position at my old job came here from Boston and worked hourly retail jobs for a year or so while she looked for a job in her area. She did not like it, but she REALLY wanted to be here.)

Good luck!

Old 04-07-2010, 02:20 PM

4,123 posts, read 9,449,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucat78 View Post
Think back to Econ 101 - Law of Supply and Demand.

When I was a hiring manager, I had such a large pool of local qualified candidates that I rarely considered even talking with somebody from out of town. Why pay to bring them in, etc?

There are thousands of highly qualified and well educated people with experience looking for jobs right now. Can you differentiate yourself in such a way that a manager would hire you over anybody else? (Like Craig, I know a former $100K+ per year manager who is now stocking shelves at a hardware store for $8.50 an hour.)

Ok, having said that, I think Lavender's comments are sound. If you want to live in Florida badly enough, you can do it, but it could mean working hourly or part-time until the economy swings back. (A young lady who I recommended to take a management position at my old job came here from Boston and worked hourly retail jobs for a year or so while she looked for a job in her area. She did not like it, but she REALLY wanted to be here.)

Good luck!
I am not even going to look for a job until I move down to Florida. It is not going to happen in this economy.

I dont mind working a low end job, but I do have bills to pay (rent on apt, car insurance, etc). And I dont have any issues doing physical labor for a while. I currently run the warehouse for a small business and would be fine with a similar job (while still looking for something better).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or