Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 02:51 AM

11 posts, read 43,305 times

Advertisements

I lived in south tampa and now live in Carrollwood - not far from west chase. If were raising a family...I think west chase would be the better option - more of a family/community atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 09:28 PM

12 posts, read 24,052 times
Westchase, for sure. South Tampa is too busy and too expensive for what you get (sqft).

Old 09-04-2011, 04:16 PM

272 posts, read 607,047 times
South Tampa has more character, better restaurants and is more aesthetically pleasing than Westchase IMO. You'll pay for it though per sq. ft. At the end of the day, both are great areas; it depends on your what characteristics are better suited for your profile.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:06 AM

3 posts, read 9,535 times
Default South Tampa?

So, where did you choose. We are headed to MacDill in June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandCsmom View Post
Hey there - anyone on this post move yet or better refined the options? I just started looking at these threads yesterday... a last minute change of orders and we're headed down to Tampa after only a year in Northern VA (supposed to be here for at least two) and headed to MacDill for 3 years. I know no one down there and just started my research on schools. I have two kids - rising 1st grader and a 4 year old. We absolutely love our elementary school here in Fairfax and I'm so sad to leave - very involved parents, PTA, great community lots of friends in a short time. So, of course now I'm on a mission to find something similar in Tampa and it seems like an overwhelming task! A few people I've spoken to who are semi-familiar with the area mentioned South Tampa, Valrico, Lithia (Fish Hawk Ranch) and Lutz. I hate a cookie cutter neighborhood with big houses on little lots - prefer charming, older established neighborhood like we have up north but I don't know if I'd find that down there? along with the good schools? My second biggest criteria after the school is the community - where you can really get to know and hang out with the neighbors, kids play together, parks that have music or movie nights, sports and activities for the kids, etc. etc. I'm just curious if you all have turned up any good areas even specific neighborhoods or subdivisions to target? BTW the commute time for my husband is secondary (his words not mine) for the right community!

Old 02-19-2012, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 7,289 times
South Tampa is more affluent than Westchase with better schools, less crime, more restaurants, shopping, and proximity to everything. I think Plant high school in South Tampa usually ranks among the best high schools in the state. There are also some very good private schools there. The "nicest" part of south Tampa is generally considered to be the area north of Gandy and south of Kennedy between downtown and the bay.

To me, there is nothing appealing about Westchase, or Valrico/Brandon/Fish hawk. You will get more square footage per dollar in those areas, but at a cost.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:24 AM

93 posts, read 258,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampares View Post
South Tampa is more affluent than Westchase with better schools, less crime, more restaurants, shopping, and proximity to everything. I think Plant high school in South Tampa usually ranks among the best high schools in the state. There are also some very good private schools there. The "nicest" part of south Tampa is generally considered to be the area north of Gandy and south of Kennedy between downtown and the bay.

To me, there is nothing appealing about Westchase, or Valrico/Brandon/Fish hawk. You will get more square footage per dollar in those areas, but at a cost.
yep.

unfortunately, most people would rather rot away in a 3500 sq. ft. mc mansion rather than trade in some of that sqaure footage for a more stimulating and walkable environment.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:58 PM

32 posts, read 155,515 times
What is the price range on 4 bedroom houses in Westchase? Wikipedia says Westchase is an affluent suburb. Is is very expensive there?
Also how is East Lake compared to Westchase?

Old 02-22-2012, 01:04 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveljerk123 View Post
What is the price range on 4 bedroom houses in Westchase? Wikipedia says Westchase is an affluent suburb. Is is very expensive there?
Also how is East Lake compared to Westchase?
You can get a better answer to these questions if you spend a few minutes on Zillow yourself.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:49 PM

3 posts, read 5,480 times
I have the option of moving from NYC to Tampa or Miami for a job transfer. I am a newlywed with a baby on the way. I just spent the day in Westchase. It was lovely. The tree lined streets, the very pretty homes and well kept developments were all attractive. I drove around the small shopping area in Westchase where there were a few restaurants and shops. That was cute, but a bit disappointing. I thought it was much too small and would get boring after living in the area. Where else would I go which isn't too far? I will also check out Coconut Grove in Miami. Which is best for us? We are professionals, in our early 30's, from the UK. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-01-2012, 06:26 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angwen View Post
I have the option of moving from NYC to Tampa or Miami for a job transfer. I am a newlywed with a baby on the way. I just spent the day in Westchase. It was lovely. The tree lined streets, the very pretty homes and well kept developments were all attractive. I drove around the small shopping area in Westchase where there were a few restaurants and shops. That was cute, but a bit disappointing. I thought it was much too small and would get boring after living in the area. Where else would I go which isn't too far? I will also check out Coconut Grove in Miami. Which is best for us? We are professionals, in our early 30's, from the UK. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
I would suggest Tampa. There is a bigger population of folks from the UK in and around Orlando, which is closer to Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay