Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:10 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times

Advertisements

Until they'll put pictures of vehicle makes in the Driving Manual next to which rules those cars can break, ALL traffic rules apply to everyone........the sticks need to come out of their a**es.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 09:15 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
I mean, that's just what they do. Traffic problems are either caused by Grandma driving her 1999 LeSabre or by Junior driving his 2010 Land Rover. From reading these threads, it almost feels like I live in a different city because I rarely have any bad traffic experiences. About the only time I ever get tailed is when I drive along Gulf Boulevard (the street along the beach), because the speed varies between 25 and 35 MPH and that is one street with a constant police presence. The only way I know of to avoid these people is by steering clear of certain high schools (at the end of the school day) or certain parts of town (Cheval, Avila, Davis Islands). Unfortuantely, in your case, you live up there, algia.

As much as I scoff at the frivolousness of luxury cars, they aren't going away. Unfortunately, (certain elements of) our society judges us based on what car we drive, where we live, et cetera. I'm just glad that I'm not persuaded by this garbage; I drove a truly awful minivan that would cause heads to turn.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:50 AM

11 posts, read 37,767 times
Wow, insurance rates were not one of my concerns while considering to move to Florida... I wonder what the difference will be for me. I'm not the best driver, but I've been accident free for probably eight years now, and no speeding tickets for at least three years. I have full coverage on my little Ford Focus... I wonder if it will go up? YIKES!

Old 03-26-2010, 09:58 AM

It will, I have no accidents, no traffic tickets and it says "safe driver' on my license........none of that matters unfortunately.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcheercoach View Post
Wow, insurance rates were not one of my concerns while considering to move to Florida... I wonder what the difference will be for me. I'm not the best driver, but I've been accident free for probably eight years now, and no speeding tickets for at least three years. I have full coverage on my little Ford Focus... I wonder if it will go up? YIKES!

Old 03-26-2010, 10:05 AM

Yeah, & that's because of school quality too...not personal preference unfortunately.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Unfortunately, in your case, you live up there, algia.

Probably the only way to reduce these complete lack of common sense is to have that written exam in a class setting like we have back in Europe where you have to complete & PASS 30 hours of the traffic rules/laws before you can even get to take the actual driving test. These people need to realize that just because they drive a car that they paid for more than the average people, those laws are the same.....and won't charge JUST for them! They'll be stuck at the same stop light, next to the same truck or bike.....and will have to allow pedestrians to walk the same way the rest of but do! I know, it must be "terrible" for them to drive, poor them, having to follow all these rules! "but mommy, I thought that if I buy an expensive car I won't have to follow rules anymore"!!!! grow up!

Quote:
As much as I scoff at the frivolousness of luxury cars, they aren't going away. Unfortunately, (certain elements of) our society judges us based on what car we drive, where we live, et cetera. I'm just glad that I'm not persuaded by this garbage; I drove a truly awful minivan that would cause heads to turn.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:10 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Yeah, & that's because of school quality too...not personal preference unfortunately.....

Probably the only way to reduce these complete lack of common sense is to have that written exam in a class setting like we have back in Europe where you have to complete & PASS 30 hours of the traffic rules/laws before you can even get to take the actual driving test. These people need to realize that just because they drive a car that they paid for more than the average people, those laws are the same.....and won't charge JUST for them! They'll be stuck at the same stop light, next to the same truck or bike.....and will have to allow pedestrians to walk the same way the rest of but do! I know, it must be "terrible" for them to drive, poor them, having to follow all these rules! "but mommy, I thought that if I buy an expensive car I won't have to follow rules anymore"!!!! grow up!
I know European drivers know at least how to use their mirrors but their are just as much morons on the road over there as over here...maybe more over there since the penalties are less...a ticket won't affect your ins. premium...so many don't care too much.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:16 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magijasakymaro View Post
I'll look for you and wave. And you'll wonder why that weirdo in the Toyota is waving at you.
Hahaha, sounds like a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Cin! View Post
Wave??? After Mid July it will be so hot we'll just throw water balloons at ya! Then you'll really know it's your City-Data Forum friends.
Cin, I like this idea. Funny part is my wife and kids would be like... HEY WHAT WAS THAT? THAT'S CRAZY. I would sit back and laugh for a few minutes before I could explain to them why water balloons are being thrown at our car. DO you always drive around with water balloons on your lap? Oh, please make sure my windows are closed before bombarding the van. I know, moving from Alaska to Tampa in mid July is nothing short of asking for punishment. The first summer will be miserable, but there is no better way to thin out your blood!

Quote:
Our premium increased by $266 after we moved from Orlando to Tampa.................
Ouch. I wonder if Geico can give me an estimate of what my insurance would be in FL compared to here. I know Alaska is higher than most states, and I hope its higher than Tampa. I'll keep you guys posted when I find out more.

Quote:
It will, I have no accidents, no traffic tickets and it says "safe driver' on my license........none of that matters unfortunately.........
Your driver license actually has 'Safe Driver' on it? Hahah, that is pretty neat. I wonder if cops are more likely to let you off with a warning if you have a 'Safe Driver' license.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:23 AM

329 posts, read 775,149 times
Quote:
Please understand that it is "driving courtesy" to allow more than 1 (ONE) person pass a left turning stop light on GREEN.

Here are a few excerpts from the driving manual to refresh your memory:
Passing
Speed Limits
Right-of-Way
Expressway Driving
Animals (never seen so much roadkill in my life as I see here in both Orlando & Tampa)
Making Turns
The "No Zone"

Here's the whole thing:
Florida Driver Handbook Online

Monday, I picked up my daughter from school at 11:30am and went back home, at the stop light on Lutz Lake Fern (turning into Cheval) there is this White Porsche SUV in front of me who left the same school a minute earlier and who when the light turned GREEN decided to not move passed the pedestrian walk!!! (basically, she sat AT the stop as if it was still red).......NOW, there is room for 2 cars there, each way, so when that stop light turns green more than ONE (1) car can pass......this Cheval resident decided that SHE was the only one that will pass through that stop light forcing everyone else behind her to sit at that stop light TWICE, some in the middle of the road!!!!!!! (as there were other cars behind us, and they could NOT back up before the pedestrian walk anymore)
Tuesday, she was behind me while I was dropping my daughter off to school & decided to start yelling at me that “I” was tailgating her! WRONG! “I” was trying to pass that light on GREEN TOO & NOT RED AND had 3 cars behind ME who were also to my bumper trying to pass on green, (I was sandwiched) that light is not for just 1 person to pass.......THEN, (back to Monday) she turns into Cheval and sits in the LEFT LANE/SIDE of the road driving 5 miles an hour, (speed limit posted is 25miles/hr) THEN decides to try to CUT ME OFF to get in the RIGHT LANE/SIDE of the road passing through the sticker gate, I honked at her because it seemed as she thought she some how OWNED that road and was “ENTITLED” to not only decide HOW MANY cars will pass that light on GREEN, but also that she can just switch lanes whenever she pleases without turning a signal on, just assuming that people will SEE her precious “White Porsche” and just get out of her way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable!

What's worst, is that every day in my sub division VERY EXPENSIVE cars blow through stop signs like they are not even there....it is not the first time I noticed that the more expensive the car the more the "owner" thinks he/she is above everyone else and is ENTITLED to break the law! people speed through next to the playground over speed bumps no less, I find this not only extremely rude but it IS against the law to do 45 miles an hour in a 25 miles an hour zone! with posted signs for children crossing the street etc. I have the FHP car sitting in front of my house waiting to catch these people and this is not even a public road, hwy etc....this is awful!

In one day, January 11th, the FHP issued 16 citations, most were for Cheval East residents who drive through Cheval West for some reason, for speeding, not stopping at the stop signs and for not providing proof of insurance!!!!!...16 citations in 1 day in a RESIDENTIAL gated sub division is outrageous no matter HOW you look at it......

My personal conclusion is that 90% of the rich people that either live in Tampa or come here for weeks at the time are vaccinated against "common sense!"
There is no other explanation for this constant rudeness and lack of driving courtesy.
it's not just a florida thing it happens all over

Old 03-26-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
The first summer will be miserable, but there is no better way to thin out your blood!
No, the first summer you will feel your bones defrost/unwind....same for the 2nd and 3rd, THEN it starts to wear you out.....LOLOL

Quote:
Your driver license actually has 'Safe Driver' on it? Hahah, that is pretty neat. I wonder if cops are more likely to let you off with a warning if you have a 'Safe Driver' license.
IF they stop me, I don't give them reason too generally.....LOLOL that's why it says that, LOL, and also because I know how to use the turning signals...and let people know where I'm going & don't expect they'll guess....

http://www.lalexandragiamanco.com/dl.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-26-2010, 10:58 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
Interesting....I've never seen that before, on a license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay