Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:41 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times

Advertisements

See, it says more "Floridians" but that is not really accurate because most if not all these people are people who came here from other states......having a FL drivers license doesn't make someone a Floridian......

More Floridians left the state last year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 09:31 AM

749 posts, read 2,438,569 times
I'm not convinced. I see it everyday, out of state plates galore and I talk to these folks alot. They're not snowbirds or vacationing either, they've moved here to stay and the reason 9/10 times is they're sick and tired of the high taxes in the Northeast and Midwest.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:04 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
Its interesting coming to this forum. So many of the locals on this forum talk about how much they hate Florida. Perhaps this data is accurate and many of them are finally leaving after all their belly-aching. I bet you many of them come back though. Florida has a low cost of living, reasonably priced real estate, low taxes and is in position to boom again when this bad economy is over.
Hey, I'm from Alaska and I complain about my home town too. But unlike many, I am doing something about it and moving out of state.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:30 AM

371 posts, read 1,190,954 times
That's ok. Let them leave! More room for the people who actually want to be there!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:40 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
I'm not convinced. I see it everyday, out of state plates galore and I talk to these folks alot. They're not snowbirds or vacationing either, they've moved here to stay and the reason 9/10 times is they're sick and tired of the high taxes in the Northeast and Midwest.
I have seen it too and I thought your not allowed to keep the out of State license plate while living here for longer then a certain time frame...perhaps the Counties could get some money that way if the police would take notice instead of all of us having to pay increased fees.

We had a person living over here for 3 years, never pay a dime in HOA fee, not paying his mortgage and driving an expensive car with a NJ license plate all that time...luckily the house was foreclosed on so the parasite is gone and the county bought the home and fixed it up and is now selling it

Old 03-25-2010, 11:51 AM

You know...I am starting to think that somewhere our travel commercials are painting some amazing picture and people come here and expect that....and when it doesn't pan out they leave....OR, someone "up north" somewhere talks with his/her buddies about"how cool it would be to go down to FL and make a killing in real estate..." And both these categories don't take into account that this is a state with "every day people" too...who live and work here permanently and that their everyday lives are affected by this "trend"....

These articles talk about people who move out of Florida/Tampa but never is a word mentioned about the citizens who live here daily and CAN call themselves "Floridians"....that is pretty sad....

Old 03-25-2010, 12:23 PM

371 posts, read 1,190,954 times
I can't say that I've ever seen a travel commercial about Tampa. Orlando yes, but Tampa, no. Not saying that they dont have them, just that I haven't seen one where I am at. Maybe they show them further up North? Where I'm currently at is still considered the South, although just about as far North as you can get and still be in the South. Thankfully Tourism or Real Estate are not my reasons for moving to Tampa.

I have to say that I commend the people who are leaving for realizing when it's time to fish or cut bait. If a situation is not working for you, then do something about it or you're going to be miserable. That can be said for many situations such as where one lives, their job, relationship, etc. I know that not everyone can up and move on a dime, or with short notice, but there is such a thing as planning and preparing for when it is possible to make that change. Meanwhile people should make the most of their situation so that they're as comfortable or happy as possible. Life is too short to simmer and stew in a big ole pot of unhappiness.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:41 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,246,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Its interesting coming to this forum. So many of the locals on this forum talk about how much they hate Florida. Perhaps this data is accurate and many of them are finally leaving after all their belly-aching. I bet you many of them come back though. Florida has a low cost of living, reasonably priced real estate, low taxes and is in position to boom again when this bad economy is over.
Hey, I'm from Alaska and I complain about my home town too. But unlike many, I am doing something about it and moving out of state.
A lot of people share that fantasy. Good luck with your move.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:37 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I have seen it too and I thought your not allowed to keep the out of State license plate while living here for longer then a certain time frame...perhaps the Counties could get some money that way if the police would take notice instead of all of us having to pay increased fees.
You are supposed to obtain a FL drivers license and license plate within ten days of establishing residency here. According to the DMV, this means 10 days from moving into your new home, starting a job, or starting school. If you don't comply, there is a $10,000 fee.

I think 10 days is ridiculous. It took me a month to get it done. There is just so much to do during and immediately after a move. But I can't imagine going three years! I wonder why that guy never got caught?

Old 03-25-2010, 01:41 PM

That's what we did and we moved within the state..........in less than 10 days, we changed all that the day we moved...why wait?
and you can do all this online and it can take you a few minutes........

But there I someone at my daughter's school who still has a SC license plate and school started back last August!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magijasakymaro View Post
You are supposed to obtain a FL drivers license and license plate within ten days of establishing residency here. According to the DMV, this means 10 days from moving into your new home, starting a job, or starting school. If you don't comply, there is a $10,000 fee.

I think 10 days is ridiculous. It took me a month to get it done. There is just so much to do during and immediately after a move. But I can't imagine going three years! I wonder why that guy never got caught?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay