U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 03:11 PM

53 posts, read 86,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Thank you

And I hope you find something soon!

CT,

A position offer came down YESTERDAY at a local University. Thank Jehovah God . . . I am soooooooo grateful. Thank you for your well wishes.

LL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 09:25 PM

5 posts, read 13,604 times
Alright, I was born and bred in Ft. Laud (Coral Sprgs) to be exact. Lived in Tampa for 6 yrs 2003-2009 where I attended USF. Just moved back to Laud to do my MBA at FAU. When I first moved to Tampa I hated it. It seemed sooo much uglier and barren with much less amenities and leisurely things to do. However after the real estate boom in late 04 and until end of 09 when I moved I noticed that the city was growing and that goes for things to do. For example the SoHo area (South Tampa) was pretty much non existent or dull when I first was living there. In the past couple of years the quality and amount of clubs/bars/ hangouts has grown. Now S. FLA in my opinion will always be a much prettier city because its located in a TROPICAL region whereas Tampa is SUBTROPICAL. I hated not being able to see so many diverse tropical plants line the streets. The notable beautiful Royal Palms that line S. FLA are pretty much absent in Tampa. Instead all you see is ugly (in my opinion) bushy Oak trees! You'll see some palms but not as many as S. FLA hence the sub tropicality. Also what sucks depending on how much u like the cold is that it gets into the occasional 20's in Tampa. In the winter the nights get to be 20 degrees colder than in Ft Laud. Ft. Laud is more commercialized where as Tampa has many industrial parts. S.FLA is more cosmopolitan and retro where as Tampa is more laid back. Depends what you like. One thing with S. FLA is that it is more ethnic than Tampa. More cultures i.e. way more influx of haitians, Jamaicans, west-indians, and a bit more hispanics (tampa has a high hispanic population too). However, in Tampa (the more east you go) you will find alot of country folk (hicks) who in my opinion count as being ethnic because some can't speak proper english so it kind of balances out you dont find many hicks (maybe in davie) in S. FLA. Note: I know a high influx of many ethnicities can be bothersome to some folks, but when I moved to Tampa the way higher percentage of country folk (hicks) took a while to get used to and was bothersome at first. If you're from up North , you know what I'm talking about. I love the Kennedy (#1 nightclub in my opinion) haven't found a nightclub in Ft. Laud to equal up, the W in Ft Laud is good but its more like a standing lounge where as the Kennedy is more fun (dancing). One thing with the nightclubs is that you see the same people every weekend!! I kid you not. its like going to highschool and walking through the halls and seeing faces you know. In Ft. Laud way more variety for nightlife although in my opinion quality is better in Tampa. I like South Tampa better than Las Olas or Hard Rock in Ft Laud.

There are headquaters/big comps in Both areas i.e. Tampa- Raymond James, Citi, MetLife, Coca-Cola

S. FLA- Motorola, Office Depot, Microsoft (Latin Amer HeadQ), Siemens, list goes on

Tampa built alot of ammenities for 2009 superbowl. Downtown has the new History museum, the riverwalk. Also Channelside is near downtown=restaurants and bars.

Ft. Laud has Las Olas and Hard Rock. Las Olas is right next to the beach and you see so many beautiful yachts. You have to go all the way to clearwater to get the beachy feel in Tampa. Downtown and beach are close in Ft. Laud, different case in Tampa.

Verdict- Ft. Laud more wealth, more beautiful city, beautiful intracoastal, beach more accessible
however high influx of ethnicities

Tampa- More laid back, in my opinion better quality nightlife. (gets boring after a while though) however Not as beautiful, some really ugly industrial areas you will drive through pockets in Tampa, some very ugly areas, some very old, and some nice. South Tampa is beautiful.

If you want to live in a bigger, wealthier, more cosmopolitan but diverse city then consider Ft. Laud. If you want a more quiet, laid back, family town that has decent amenities then consider Tampa. Both have beaches and sunny weather although Tampa winters reach freezing temps frequently.

Hope this Helps!!

Old 05-02-2010, 05:28 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,967,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyriclocks View Post

"Umm, if I marry you it will affect my health benefits!"
I have heard of some pretty rediculous excuses- but this is one for the record books!!! what a toolbag. seems as if you were better off not marrying this person.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
I have heard of some pretty rediculous excuses- but this is one for the record books!!! what a toolbag. seems as if you were better off not marrying this person.
Exactly. Shortly after my arrival I went to worship and have been prayerful and introspective-a good thing. I call it his "hiccup" and I thank him to this day. He said I was being insulting when I thanked him for not going forward. It was the best thing he's ever done for me.

Amen.

Meanwhile I have fallen in love with Tampa. I was working over on E. Hillsborough and the sky is so beautiful in Tampa. As I look at the few neighborhoods that I've seen Hyde Park has caught my eye. Then again, a name like Thonotossassa, WOW, wonder what the heck a place like that could look like. I ride through Brandon on the way to work from Bartow. So much to choose from. Alas, I will most probably be going to Kississimmee as one of my dearest friends lives there.

Bottom line, I love FL (so far) and am glad I came here. I thought for one reason, but the Lord has revealed to me that what I thought don't mean a thing.

Oh, I just got offered a position in Winter Haven, from the Mapquest I did it is not too far (or unthinkable) that I can live in Kissimmee and work there. i start on the 15th. Wooooo whoooooo.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:21 AM

15,771 posts, read 32,877,692 times
Quote:
Exactly. Shortly after my arrival I went to worship and have been prayerful and introspective-a good thing. I call it his "hiccup" and I thank him to this day. He said I was being insulting when I thanked him for not going forward. It was the best thing he's ever done for me.

Amen.

Meanwhile I have fallen in love with Tampa. I was working over on E. Hillsborough and the sky is so beautiful in Tampa. As I look at the few neighborhoods that I've seen Hyde Park has caught my eye. Then again, a name like Thonotossassa, WOW, wonder what the heck a place like that could look like. I ride through Brandon on the way to work from Bartow. So much to choose from. Alas, I will most probably be going to Kississimmee as one of my dearest friends lives there.

Bottom line, I love FL (so far) and am glad I came here. I thought for one reason, but the Lord has revealed to me that what I thought don't mean a thing.

Oh, I just got offered a position in Winter Haven, from the Mapquest I did it is not too far (or unthinkable) that I can live in Kissimmee and work there. i start on the 15th. Wooooo whoooooo.
Winter Haven is a really nice, beautiful town. Much better than Kissimmee, IMO. If you have a job there, it would be better to live there and just visit your friend in Kissimmee.

Good luck to you!

Old 05-04-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Winter Haven is a really nice, beautiful town. Much better than Kissimmee, IMO. If you have a job there, it would be better to live there and just visit your friend in Kissimmee.

Good luck to you!

I believe that, gypsychic!!!

Here's the thing though . . . she and I are of the same faith, I can live with her for something like $300/mo. and 1/3 of the electricity and that combination (faith/finances) can't be beat. LOL But, you are right, WH would be the "it" were it not for the blessing of rooming with her and her fam in a lovely house vs. an apartment. I'm so excited about the possibilities!

Thanks for writing and for the well wishes.

LL

Old 05-04-2010, 07:27 AM

15,771 posts, read 32,877,692 times
Quote:

I believe that, gypsychic!!!

Here's the thing though . . . she and I are of the same faith, I can live with her for something like $300/mo. and 1/3 of the electricity and that combination (faith/finances) can't be beat. LOL But, you are right, WH would be the "it" were it not for the blessing of rooming with her and her fam in a lovely house vs. an apartment. I'm so excited about the possibilities!

Thanks for writing and for the well wishes.

LL
That sounds great, LL! Sounds like everything is working out perfectly for you - you are truly blessed!

Old 05-05-2010, 01:07 PM

20 posts, read 56,811 times
CT I'm in the same boat. Bought my house in Massachusetts in 2003 right at the peak and now I'm stuck until it hopefully levels out but I'm looking at FL as well so this is extremely helpful reading all the comments. I have a friend who lives in Port Saint Lucie which is on the Atlantic is is apparently known for the most beautiful beaches in FL as I have read online.

I am an AKC Exhibitor of Chihuahuas so I want to make sure I move to an area "dog friendly" which the Port is but I have a fellow show person who lives in Largo and said hurricanes have't really hit there in about 85 years?!

So I'm stuck trying to figure out where to live since I don't know Florida that well. My bf's grandmother lives in St. Pete so he would of course love to be near a relative, but I want to make sure I'm somewhere somewhat suburban....I'm 28 we rarely go out so nightlife isn't a factor for us at all. Just want a nice area, as crime free and safe as possible that houses are not on top of each other like in New England!

Largo is a city, as is Port Saint Lucie so I'm confused trying to figure it all out online.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:16 PM

2,727 posts, read 5,556,066 times
I'm torn between Tampa area (cheaper than S. FL) and S. FL cuz I know it and feel comfortable there. I know I will make a trip to Tampa when I can and check it out though. Also, my dad will be moving to S. Fl so it would be nice to be close to him.

Again though, S. Fl more expensive than Tampa. LOL

Old 05-05-2010, 05:24 PM

3,380 posts, read 8,190,494 times
A salary of $30,000 in Tampa, Florida should increase to $39,225 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Fort Lauderdale is 31% more expensive than Tampa.
Housing is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference.
Housing is 80% more expensive in Fort Lauderdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or