U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 06:54 AM

4,554 posts, read 6,907,374 times

Advertisements

Sorry , I don't know where to go to start a thread .

Something did'nt go right between my Insurance and my dentist . My Insurance sent me 326.00 to pay the dentist . I took the check to the dentist but they said they couldnt accept it as it was made out to me . So I went to the bank cashed it and went right back and paid them the cash . A year later ( about ) I get a letter from my Insurance saying that they did pay the dentist after the Issuing of the check and since they had the check showing I cashed it , I had to pay them back . I went back to the dentist and got a payment history printout that clearly shows the 326.00 cash payment on the same day the check was cashed . ( Unfortunately the Original dentist had sold the bussiness , the new dentist is running it under the same name and keeping the same accounts / I always thought when someone takes over a bussiness he's taking on everything that goes with it . Bills, patient payments etc .) I spoke to my HR department and she gave me a letter stating all I had to do was take it to the dentist and they'll reimburse the money . When I went though they said they were'nt going to give me my money back ( even though it's clearly still in there data base since they're the ones that gave me the printout ) He's saying they're not responsible since the money was given to the previous doctor . I even had the receptionist tell it would have been better if I paid with a check or credit card . I responded I don't need either " I have a history printout by you showing the cash payment "
Someone , please help
What can I do .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 07:54 AM

4,554 posts, read 6,907,374 times
It seems to me that your problem is with the insurance co, not with the dentist itself. They ,the ins. co.paid you and the dentist. You paid the dentist what they paid you, because it was for him. So, why did they pay him again? Probably because he sent them a bill and they went ahead and payed him.
Since you payed him also they should recover the money from them, you don't have that money because you payed him... Tell them you don't see , why , because they made a mistake of double payment, you have to return $ that you payed him with. It is their fault, not yours.
Tell them, since this is annoying you , you are going to refer it to your lawyer.When you mention that it usually works....
And to answer something else about the dentist who has the practice now, NO, he is not responsible, in my opinion for something like that from the other dentist. He probably bought the practice from the others, but the other dentist is responsible for his accounts. You don't sell the responsibility, only the practice, which means the clients.
I hope I make sense to you.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:00 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,928,097 times
Let me see if I understand this. Are you saying that the insurance company double payed? In other words, they paid the dentist and they paid you to pay the dentist?

If so, then I would show the insurance company your receipt for having paid the dentist cash (good lesson in not using cash, by the way, as had you put this on a credit card, your Visa or whoever would have fought this battle for you). I would ask the insurance company to get their money back not from you, but from the dentist, even if they have to find the original dentist. It seems to me that if it was their error to begin with, then they should do the work to fix it. Be very nice when you ask them to do this, however.

If they refuse and continue to harrass you for the money to fix their error, as you do not want this to show up on your credit report, I would contact the state's insurance commissioner's office with all the details. Do not threaten them with this however, just do it and let them deal with the state.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:52 AM

3,380 posts, read 8,241,388 times
This is pretty simple actually. The Insurance Company has absolutely no right no come after you for the check they sent you. Let's look at this as if it were auto insurance.

You get into an accident, which is not your fault. The party whom is at fault has insurance. You get an 3 estimates from a body shops to fix your bumper which was damaged during the fender bender. You submit these estimates to the insurance company and they cut you a check which is enough to get your car repaired. You are in no way, shape or form obligated to fix your car with that check. If you want to go cash deposit that check and buy some new shoes and bag you can. Of course now you do not have money to fix your bumper, but that was your choice.

So in this instance, the insurance company sent you a check which you decided to pay the dentist with (as you should have, but not required unless you want collection calls, bad credit and bad karma). Now, someone in the Insurance company did not do their job and they paid the dentist as well (this is rare and odd. Somebody in a cube at their office should lose their job.) The insurance company should be dealing with the dentist to get their money back. In addition, after this is resolved you may want to go find another dentist because it sounds like they do not keep good track of their finances. I would think your account there should show a credit if both you and the insurance company paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay