U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-29-2010, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Saint-Petersburg(Russia)
5 posts, read 7,142 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello guys. Our family won the Green Card. We plan to live in Tampa. We are going to come to look around in August and to arrive finally in February.
First question. Our child is 5 years old. Can he go to school in February or не hase to wait for the beginning of the school year - September.
Second. I am a financial specialist, my husband is IT specialist. We are planning to complete advanced training and English courses in Tampa for 3-6 months. Advise please good courses.
Third. What is preferable for the final move end of summer or end of winter?
Thanks for your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2010, 04:02 PM
 
5,453 posts, read 8,146,480 times
Reputation: 2141
School starts in August here.
Move @ the end of winter, (our winter) so it's not so hot here (March/April) but this really is related to when school starts.....so, move in April so your kid starts school in August...that way you'll have time to scout schools around where you'll live.......

No idea on the English classes, maybe someone else can chime on that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 07:05 AM
 
13,773 posts, read 34,978,631 times
Reputation: 10605
Congratulations.. I would suggest Feb too, Aug and Sept are the hottest months in Tampa..
Your son could start kindegarden in Feb. They learn english a lot quicker than adults.

you might contact the Russian Orthodox church in Tampa
Russian Church in USA | Patriarchal parishes

They may know if there are russian/english classes. Most are hispanic/english classes that are given in special evening classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Watkinsville, GA
385 posts, read 974,958 times
Reputation: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M&D View Post
Hello guys. Our family won the Green Card. We plan to live in Tampa. We are going to come to look around in August and to arrive finally in February.
First question. Our child is 5 years old. Can he go to school in February or не hase to wait for the beginning of the school year - September.
Second. I am a financial specialist, my husband is IT specialist. We are planning to complete advanced training and English courses in Tampa for 3-6 months. Advise please good courses.
Third. What is preferable for the final move end of summer or end of winter?
Thanks for your answers.

I hate to sound like an a-hole, but unemployment is 12.4% here. Why don't you stay home?
I have no problem with folks immigrating to our country, but right now we can't even take care of our own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Myrtle Beach
3,380 posts, read 8,206,393 times
Reputation: 2930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga Jerk View Post
I hate to sound like an a-hole, but unemployment is 12.4% here. Why don't you stay home?
I have no problem with folks immigrating to our country, but right now we can't even take care of our own.

Geez, what a jerk.... what a Ga Jerk you are. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Tampa
1,236 posts, read 4,201,839 times
Reputation: 944
Unemployment has now risen to 13.4%. My husband is a mainframe IT guy. There are very few jobs for IT. He is now unemployed and looking for work. You might do better in the financial job, though I don't know for sure.

You can start your kids in school any time. We moved down with only 6 weeks of school to go and they were able to go to school. Depending on there ages, they may have to take a modified FCAT (Florida Comprehensive Assesment Test, this is a standardized test) like my older daughter did. They have to take this test to see if they can move on to the next grade. If they fail the modified FCAT (like my daughter did), they give them another test to see if they are on grade level, which my daughter passed and was way ahead of grade level. The education level was behind where I had moved from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 27,797,599 times
Reputation: 14611
might be a niche for bilingual financial management and IT folks - what languages do you speak?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Saint-Petersburg(Russia)
5 posts, read 7,142 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
might be a niche for bilingual financial management and IT folks - what languages do you speak?
I speak Russian and English, my husband still knows Hebrew (English, we still teach)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Saint-Petersburg(Russia)
5 posts, read 7,142 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga Jerk View Post
I hate to sound like an a-hole, but unemployment is 12.4% here. Why don't you stay home?
I have no problem with folks immigrating to our country, but right now we can't even take care of our own.
Thanks for the warning and hope. I wish you every success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2010, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Saint-Petersburg(Russia)
5 posts, read 7,142 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
Unemployment has now risen to 13.4%. My husband is a mainframe IT guy. There are very few jobs for IT. He is now unemployed and looking for work. You might do better in the financial job, though I don't know for sure.

You can start your kids in school any time. We moved down with only 6 weeks of school to go and they were able to go to school. Depending on there ages, they may have to take a modified FCAT (Florida Comprehensive Assesment Test, this is a standardized test) like my older daughter did. They have to take this test to see if they can move on to the next grade. If they fail the modified FCAT (like my daughter did), they give them another test to see if they are on grade level, which my daughter passed and was way ahead of grade level. The education level was behind where I had moved from.
Thanks.
In what field of IT specializes your husband? I looked at the sites and found a lot of IT vacancies in Tampa. How old can begin to walk to school children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top