U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 12:56 PM

28 posts, read 72,017 times

Advertisements

Hey guys me and my wife just made the decision we are going to relocate to the tampa area within the next few months.

We currently live in Coram on Long Island, NY. We currently rent a 2 BR/ 2 Bath townhouse for over $1650 a month plus utilities. We are tired of the overpopulation, the cold weather, and the insane expenses which come with living on long island.

Let me also add we are both familiar with the hot weather that comes with living in florida, i grew up in Highlands County(Sebring) and my wife lived down there when she was younger. I also still have family and friends in florida from highlands county.

Im a HVAC service technician and have already acquired a job down there and my wife will be most likely attending Hillsborough Community College.

Weve done some research and seem to have narrowed it down to a few areas and towns. Like i stated we live in a 2 BR townhouse inside of a complex. We wouldnt mind something similar but are also looking at houses. Just looking for a quiet safe and reasonably priced neighborhood or complex with in a reasonable drive of tampa and lakeland.

I will also add that we do not have to be right on top of any nightlife areas. We prefer a quieter area but also dont want to have to plan an hour trip into town to get groceries either lol.

so far we have come up with

New Tampa
Riverview
Brandon
Valrico
North Lakeland
Land O Lakes
Carrolwood
Wesley Chapel
Bloomingdale

We are looking to rent and pay around 800-1000 a month for a full house (2-3 BR/2 Bath) or sometype of townehouse or complex. We require at least parking for 2 vehicles and a washer/dryer. Any suggestions or former Long Islanders who have made the move?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 10:03 PM

nothing, nada?!

Old 04-02-2010, 02:02 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,085,438 times
Im from Rocky Point! I grew up right down the road from you...

Tampa is SO MUCH BETTER then long island. Personally, your budget is kind of tight considering what you are asking for. 2 bed/2 bath apartment is going to run you AT LEAST $1000 a month from what I have seen. Maybe I am wrong...

Check out Brandon. it is close to Tampa (minutes on the crosstown) and it is suburb-ish like Coram. There will be no culture shock as most people here are from NY

Old 04-02-2010, 02:04 PM

^^Check out this place. I used to live there. it is about as nice as you will get for the price. and TECHNICALLY it is a Tampa address, but you will really be living in Brandon...

Tampa Luxury Apartment Rentals Near Brandon, FL | Estates at Tuscany Ridge 2 Bedrooms from $1079

Old 04-02-2010, 03:17 PM

13,768 posts, read 36,072,937 times
Unless you are working in N. Lakeland I wouldn't move there mainly because of the drive on I-4.

The other areas are OK depending on if you have to drive to work everyday. You can always ask here for opinions on apts.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
^^Check out this place. I used to live there. it is about as nice as you will get for the price. and TECHNICALLY it is a Tampa address, but you will really be living in Brandon...

Tampa Luxury Apartment Rentals Near Brandon, FL | Estates at Tuscany Ridge 2 Bedrooms from $1079

Very nice and very similar to what im in now, however the 2 br unit with the garage is about 1200 which is a little more expensive then im looking to spend on a apartment.

I have been looking A LOT in the Carrollwood, Wesley Chapel, and especially Riverview(namely Rivercrest community) areas and i am seeing some 2-3 BR/2 Bath houses anywhere from 900-1200 which all seem very nice and seem in nice areas. Any input on these areas would be appriciated!!

Also just wondering what the utilities would be like, i understand it depends a lot on how many loads of laundry we do and A/C usage. we usually keep our house around 72 degrees. what could u estimate the electric usage would be in the winter and summer in a 2-3 BR house/townhouse

Old 04-02-2010, 06:59 PM

1,245 posts, read 4,361,331 times
I think you can cross off New Tampa with the budget you are looking for. You are not going to be able to rent a house for $1,000. My daughters teacher lives on Cross Creek Blvd (in New Tampa) and paid $800 for a one bedroom townhouse. She has to move out because the owner is in foreclosure. She said the area has gone downhill drastically (gun shots and robberies) and is grateful to be moving out.

New Tampa and Bloomingdale are 2 very different types of area. You might be happier in Bloomingdale and find the rent cheaper. Bloomingdale is more country.

Good luck!

Old 04-03-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libuc5437 View Post
Very nice and very similar to what im in now, however the 2 br unit with the garage is about 1200 which is a little more expensive then im looking to spend on a apartment.

I have been looking A LOT in the Carrollwood, Wesley Chapel, and especially Riverview(namely Rivercrest community) areas and i am seeing some 2-3 BR/2 Bath houses anywhere from 900-1200 which all seem very nice and seem in nice areas. Any input on these areas would be appriciated!!

Also just wondering what the utilities would be like, i understand it depends a lot on how many loads of laundry we do and A/C usage. we usually keep our house around 72 degrees. what could u estimate the electric usage would be in the winter and summer in a 2-3 BR house/townhouse
I am a big power user. 2 loads of laundry a week, big screen tv, two computers, not great at remembering to shut lights off, my AC is at 72 year round with the occasional heat in the winter (this winter i used it more then last) My bill has always been $110-$130. I suspect TECO is much cheaper then LIPA.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
I am a big power user. 2 loads of laundry a week, big screen tv, two computers, not great at remembering to shut lights off, my AC is at 72 year round with the occasional heat in the winter (this winter i used it more then last) My bill has always been $110-$130. I suspect TECO is much cheaper then LIPA.
wow thats insane, we are pretty similar, i dont know the rates off the top of my head, but it seems lipa is raising our rates every 3 months up here...2 years ago we moved here with the same routine as we do now, and we paid anywhere from 100-150 in the WINTER and 200-250 in the summer....now it seems like our winter electric is regularly at 180

so anything around 100-150 would be additional savings for us

Old 04-03-2010, 09:39 AM

^^^One month I tried to be careful. my bill was like 85 that winter. I have had a summer month as low as 110.

- Water will be about 30 a month. Your car insurance wont drop much, but it will be a little better.
- You wont be paying state income tax
- Gas is about 20-30 cents cheaper a gallon
- Food is cheaper
- Cable is about the same. Here you aren't stuck with cablevision though. you have options. You can get phone/internet/cable from brighthouse for 99 a month, verizon is a little more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay